Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » "The Anime Thread" Thread (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "The Anime Thread" Thread
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I never saw that, but I did see Voltron.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
So, which anime had the best "Monsters of the Day"? I think Sailor Moon. What do you guys think?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
For the monsters, I prefer the tokusatsu stuff like Ultraman and Kamen Rider.

Some of the anime shows do OK, though. What I've seen from Bleach and D. Gray-Man looks impressive.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I absolutely love one of the opening themes for D. Gray-Man, but Bleach... did you know the artist for the comic is so lazy as to drawing backgrounds that he gave all the characters the ability to fly so they can fight in the sky?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Well, I chose the monsters in Sailor Moon because they're are different varieties of them. Youma, Cardians, Droids, Daimons, Lemures, and Phages.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I absolutely love one of the opening themes for D. Gray-Man, but Bleach... did you know the artist for the comic is so lazy as to drawing backgrounds that he gave all the characters the ability to fly so they can fight in the sky?

That's kinda clever, actually.

Certainly doesn't seem to have hurt the series' popularity.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I know, still, it's the same reason I fell out of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, it repeats. The main characters have to fight people to gain the "ultimate" battle move, and then they do it again and again and again...

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
I know, still, it's the same reason I fell out of Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh, it repeats. The main characters have to fight people to gain the "ultimate" battle move, and then they do it again and again and again...

Oh yeah.

Nobody hits the repeat button like Japan. If the story isn't reset so the characters have to essentially start over again, you get something like the Super Sentai franchise which reboots the same basic formula every year.

It can still be fun, though, when done well.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

At least with Sailor Moon and Revolutionary Girl Utena they had the good sense to END it.

Sure, Sailor Moon might have been repetitive, but each season explored and fully explained the history behind her abilities, her past and her ultimate future as the strongest Sailor Senshi, and the brightest light of the universe, whereas Bleach and Pokemon just keeps adding more and more, it never stops.

In Revolutionary Girl Utena, there was only ONE power, and while at the end it didn't recreate the Earth or destroy the major villain, it did something much more important.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Although with most of Rumiko Takahashi's works, they do go on for a while, but she does keep it interesting, especially the music.

One Pound Gospel and Mermaid Saga were both shorter than most of her works... One Pound Gospel went on hiatus for at least ten years.

Maison Ikkoku, while long, was appropriate for it's length as real time actually passed.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't think to mention this earlier but the site crunchyroll.com offers free, legal streaming of a bunch of anime, including Skip Beat which is my favourite manga. The stuff there isn't super popular, but it covers a lot of genres and has some old classics like Captain Harlock and Black Jack, that I'm going to get around to watching one of these days.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Meet Panty and Stocking. And Garterbelt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shHZmwq9X1Q

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I think you mean Xiaolin Showdown, but that was an American cartoon as well.

No, that's a kiddy version.
The one I'm thinking of is real people illustrated, sort of.
I'll think of it, someday.
The title is the main boy's name, a blonde with a white tie around his head.

Has anyone mentioned one of the original series to come from Japan, the one with the space submarine and all of the fighter pilots and the older, gray bearded captain?
It was on for quite awhile and very popular.

The thing about Pokemon is that it just doesn't repeat, he goes to a different region, with mostly different people and mostly new pokemon.
This year's have been fairly inventive, with new types of pokemon contests and some actual growth in the main characters, Brock, anyway.
Yugio grew up, too and has a very dark and involved story.

The Z story I mentioned was DragonBall Z.
Dorian loved that show.
I still have a couple of his action figures for that show, from McDonalds, I think.

Outdoor Miner - thanks for all of that wonderful info!

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Hmm... a space submarine... something similar comes to mind. Nadia: The Mystery of Blue Water.

The original Yu-Gi-Oh wasn't about the card game. The style was that each episode had this incredibly cruel or mean person doing something to Yugi and his friends. The Millennium Puzzle he wore would bring out Dark Yugi in order to teach that person a lesson with a "shadow game", and usually the person would try to cheat but still lose. Example:

This beautiful but mean teacher with a habit of enforcing strict and stupid rules. Dark Yugi and herself had to play a game of putting a broken mirror back together, but they had to wear blindfolds and gloves. The teacher takes off her blindfold and puts the mirror together. Her punishment: Her beautiful face crumbles like a puzzle and reveals what she looks like on the inside, a withered old hag. From that point, she has to put on heavy amounts of make-up to look like her old self, and any time she tries to act mean or cruel, her face will crack.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm surprised I didn't seen this thread earlier as I'm a huge fan of various manga/anime series.

>Has anyone mentioned one of the original series to come from Japan, the one with the space submarine and all of the fighter pilots and the older, gray bearded captain?
It was on for quite awhile and very popular.

Candle your probably thinking of Star Blazers, which was based on the series Space Battleship Yamato, one of Leiji Matsumoto's most famous works.

As for the repetitiveness of various manga and anime it's hardly as if american comics and animation (as well as other countries) aren't guilty of that quite often themselves. We as LOSH fans should especially be keenly aware of that fact.

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.