Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Movies that make you go boo-hoo (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies that make you go boo-hoo
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
My sister has the prequel, which she said is good ut not great, and I've seen a few episodes of the TV series. It's... OK. Some quite good jokes, but the animation while not being awful imho just is so below the standard of the film that it looks worse than it is. It's very clearly not done by the same guys who did the film though.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
And Disney rewards the Florida animation unit that created Lilo & Stitch by ... dissolving it, and stupidly getting out of 2D animation altogether. No good deed -- and that movie was a very good deed to 2D animation buffs -- goes unpunished, I guess.

I'll certainly second Bevis about Moulin Rouge. Seventeen times in the theater, for me, to inform the few around here who don't know by now.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, how stupid are Disney? But then again they didn't want to fund L&S in the first place, hence all the hand painted watercolour backgrounds which were cheaper to do and, ultimately, looked so much better than anything else that Disney have put out in years. Sometimes i despair, I really do. They have one of the best animated films in years (hell, decades) both in terms of enjoyment and just technical skill and what do they do with it? Absolutely sod all. No building on the sucess (unless you count all the merchandise), just throw away the studio seemingly in an attempt to hack of the nose with a blunt spoon to spite their face. That being said my talking Stich is just fantastic (now how crude does that sound?).

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
"A League of Their Own" does it for me. There are 2 scenes that get me all choked up.

One is the scene where the poor woman doesn't know if she made the team or not because she can't read. The other scene is where another woman receives a telegram informing her her husband has been killed. I sniffle my way through both these scenes.

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
It's funny I just noticed this thread. I just watched "Big Fish" and the ending when the son described to his dad how he was going to die had me crying at a movie like I never have before. I NEVER cry at movies. It probably has something to do with the fact that my father recently had a stroke, and it made me realize just how important he is to me. Looking back, the movie was kind of corny, but circumstances made it more real than it normally would have been.
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
for me, it was Watership Down, when the old rabbit dies.

Scott, i think you're citing Somewhere in Time, with Christopher Reeve and (i think) Jane Seymour. great movie.

Time After Time was amlcolm MacDowal as HG Wells, who travels to late 70s San Fran to hunt down Jack the Ripper, who used his time machine to flee the law.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Two more:
"Mulan" when she saves her father and gains acceptance not only from her father, but from the teeming masses.

"Whale Rider" - almost every time that girl tries so hard to gain her grandfather's respect and is treated like crap just because she's a girl. Also the big assembly scene where tears are streaming down her face when her grandfather doesn't show up and the scene at the end when she disappears into the ocean and her grandfather realizes what an idiot he's been.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
None, never, those weren't tears.

Remember the Titans and Green Mile caused slight discomfort. There was the Old Yeller thing but I was young.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bevis:
... OK, this might sound silly but it's true. One of my favourite films ever. Fantastically funny, incredibly witty, hugely uplifting but also heartbreakingly sad. Yup, I'm talking about 'Lilo & Stitch'

Hey, no need to be embarrased. You reminded me of one film that *always* gets a tear (or two) running down my cheek is "Iron Giant" .... when that big lug flies off to sacrifice himself for a community that feared and hated him, uttering the name of the hero he wants to be, "Superman".... [Frown]

Also "In America" - I highly recommend this film. Any movie about a family trying to recover from the loss of a child can't help but be heartbreaking (and uplifting too - the two little girls in it are amazing).

[ August 15, 2004, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
Chuck Jones' and Michael Maltese's Wagner parody "What's Opera, Doc?"

I would be amazed if anyone here hasn't seen this, but

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

... the one classic-era Warner Brothers short in which (at least within the context of the story) Elmer Fudd actually succeeds in killing Bugs Bunny.

(Bugs "breaks character" in the final shot to remark "Well, what did you expect in an opera: a happy ending?")

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.