Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 29)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm in the middle of Crucible of War by Fred Anderson. It's weighty, but it's a very well-written history of the French and Indian/Seven Year's War. Very up-to-date. I met the author at a National Council for History Education conference. If you have any weakness for American History, I recommend it.

I've been checking Doonesbury books out of the library. Brilliant stuff.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Go tell it on the Mountain, James Baldwin
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just bought three books from Borders.

Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules - a collection of short stories picked and edited by David Sedaris. All about life,lonliness,love and envy for monkeys.

The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan - another collection of short stories about her life and journey to become a writer.

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. History book.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
i'm reading volume#1 of the Han Solo trilogy by A.C. Crispin. intitled "the Paradise Snare"
the whole trilgoy tells the story of the adventures of a young Han Solo before Epi#4.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I finally finished "The Historian." ughhh! what a chore. Now I'm reading "Olympos", Dan Simmons sequel to "Ilium." What a pleasure!

So sorry you didn't enjoy The Historian, Semi. Scott gave me this for Valentine's Day, and he even got a large print edition so that my mother could read it as well. Mom picked it up before me, and she however stopped on page 49 where they (briefly) describe exactly how Vlad Tepes impaled people and stuck the stakes around his grounds as warnings to his enemies and ghastly trophies. I, on the other hand, am loving it!!! Of course, maybe that's because I am mad for any and all things vampire. This book could drag for a lot of people who are not into the details. Someone said they describe what they are eating and drinking on every page. Well, that's part of the inside joke too because it's a lot of the same takes on the cultures of the areas they are traveling through that Stoker and Florescu and Anne Rice and others have also used in their plots. I want more, more. I want to be the next one the letters and clues and such are left for! (But, I'm too damn old and fat to get the job done. So, Dracula is still gonna be safe out there wherever he is presently hanging out) Anyway, now someone please write such a fantastic book about the great werewolves of history!
[LOL]

From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Caroline, if you like werewolf books, one that I really enjoyed was St. Peter's Wolf by Michael Cadnum. it's set in San Francisco in the 1990's. Cadnum makes the werewolf a somewhat noble and free creature, who is only really vicious during the first few months of his transformation, before he gets control over his new powers.

[ August 24, 2005, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
[Smile] Wow, thanks so much Semi. I will definitely have to get this one.
From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thor2168
Cute-Baby-Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thor2168   Email thor2168         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished Wicked ,and liked it a great deal. Also, the new Star Wars, The Joiner King, it was an enjoyable fast read if not riveting. Now am on to the second book of the triology of The Victorian Age series from White Wolf, can't think of the name of the book at the moment...

--------------------
I just can't BLOK it out!

From: The land of toys and stinky diapers!!! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I finished Olympos by Dan Simmons last night. Wow! What a tour de force. Simmons imagination is so rich. Why can't epics like this be made into movies? I highly recommend this two book series. The first is Illium. Olympos goes way beyond Illium, but it all makes sense.
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm totally hooked on the Southern Vampire Chronicles by Charlaine Harris. Great guilty pleasure stuff and one of the most plausible depictions of life as a telepath I've read. It's got some pretty sexy vampires, too. [sigh] Eric... [Love]

And it's got a werecollie, which has got to count for something.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

quote:
Originally posted by Arachne:
[QBAnd it's got a werecollie, which has got to count for something.[/QB]

Well it counts for a lot with this collie lover. Tell me about the werecollie. Is it a man that turns into a collie, or a collie that turns into a werebeast?
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if this fits into the "highbrow" stuff that everyone else is in to, but i am (re)reading a Stephen King book called "Insomnia" - nice plot...if ever a movie about it came on TV, maybe the sponsors could insert random coffee commercials...coz it (the book) certainly kept me up at nights...
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
Well it counts for a lot with this collie lover. Tell me about the werecollie. Is it a man that turns into a collie, or a collie that turns into a werebeast?

His name's Sam, and he owns the bar where Sookie (the main character) works. He can actually change into any animal, but he prefers being a collie. He has to change during the fulll moon whether he likes it or not. He's also a potential love interest for Sookie. If this were real life I'd say he was perfect for her, but this is fiction and I find Sookies relationship with Eric more interesting. Maybe she could hook up with Sam in the last book. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Who here is a Harry Potter fan?
From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
legionadventureman, I've only read the first book but I realy dug it. My gf has read all of them except the latest. I love the films and plan to read the rest!

Since my last post I read the Seville Communion. As a big fan of the city Seville -probably my favorite city ever(Napoleon Dynamite voice)- I realy enjoyed it. Shitty ending but ohwell.

I am currently reading The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson.

It belonged to a friend of mine who basically told me I had to read it. It's ok...lots of historical details about 1890s Chicago...including the serial killer H.H. Holmes. After that reading the History of the Basques...and then hopefully a Harry Potter.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.