Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 27)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of Hitchcock, I watched Stage Fright a week or so ago. Another movie which doesn't get much attention, but is actually pretty close to a top-tier Hitch film. The twist in it actually caught me completely by surprise, which hasn't happened in awhile.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of Stage Fright did anyone else catch Stage Beauty? Pretty good film about the theater world during the reign of Charles the II. Billy Crudup and Claire Danes. Rupert Everett as Charless II.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
So anyone want to name the best (or their favorite) Hitchcock films.

I started looking at his work and recognize the famous ones but some I wasn't so sure if I heard of them or not.

Anyone willing to rank them?

(Doesn't Christmas get you in a Hitchcock mood?!)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Favorite Hitchcock? Hmm... probably "Vertigo". Or "Spellbound"
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Speaking of Stage Fright did anyone else catch Stage Beauty?

I thought Crudup did a bang-up job. Very compelling portrayal.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I recently watched the Russian flick Nightwatch.

It's kind of a Harry Potter meets Matrix horror movie. Lots of humor actually...reminds me of the 5th Element.

Anyways I am going to watch the sequel tonight Daywatch. The effects for this one look really crazy. You can youtube it.

matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
My wife got me a copy of "Prince Caspian" for Christmas and I have to say that though it was pretty to look at I was disappointed in it. They took far too many liberties with the adaptation for my tastes. A made up a rivalry between Caspian and Peter, and a lame stab at romance between Caspian and Susan left me cold. I could go on and on but suffice to say when you are tasked with adapting a very short book and manage to omit pieces of the original narrative in favor of "original" material you will lose my interest every time. Well, maybe with Disney bowing out of any potential version of "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" we can get something a little closer to the charm of the Lewis originals.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I never read any of Lewis' books. I am eager to see Caspian though.

Just watched the La Dolce Vita. I was very suprissed. I guess I was expecting a cooler version of Roman Holiday. Boy was I wrong. I have heard it's non-linear but that didn't bother me. I can see for others it can become frustrating but basically it was just 7 short stories about the same character that make a whole.

Things I got out of it? Fellini was condemning and praising modern culture a bit and vice versa with the old school ways. Commentary of has man becomed to civilized or are we supposed to be this civilized? It's a discussion I have with my friends often. I believe we are animals and thus can't ignore that side of us.

Certainly seemed to have some statements about excess. In fact each short story seemed to be about some excess or another and how it can really turn ugly. The main character's obsession with women and not wanting to settle down. That is a statement in man's animal nature and in excess as well.

Throw in having sex with a rich but insane putana at a prostitute's house (who made them cafe), a disturbing religious scene (the "miracle"), annoying paparazzi, some celebrity scenes with the famous dip in the Trevi fountain, and a quasi violent tame orgy...and, um, well...you have it, kind of.

I can see how this was popular back in the day (and now). Films about rich, famous, good looking people partying themselves to death are always attractive. [Smile]

Not what I expected. It was good but not great. It's a bit out there.

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
My Christmas gift to myself this year was season two of The BeastMaster on DVD. It's silly fun and, in some places, fairly well-written fantasy TV, but I'd be lying if I said that the main reason I remember this (1999-2002) show so fondly was anything other than the gorgeous Daniel Goddard running around in a loincloth. [Drool]

In addition to the scenery, it really is quite watchable. And it does make me nostalgic for the days about 10 years ago when fantasy/science fiction TV series were plentiful on weekend afternoons.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Having had a bit of free time in the last week or so, I've caught up on the first season of Burn Notice (I like), the first season of Life (also cool) and the first two seasons of Bones (pretty cool).

Currently halfway through the first season of Supernatural (awesomeness personified).

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I understand what you mean, matlock.

I still liked the movie, though.
Just not as much as I could have.

I wish someone who knew how to make movies would get ahold of Terry Pratchett's stuff.
The British cartoon of the witches was rather terrible.
So much wasted potential!

I recently saw 'Vertigo'.
Stewart is so completely strange, so obsessed and furious!
I really think the story is more complex and horrorfying than it gets credit for.

But I still want a clear shower curtain.
And when I see a bunch of crows in the trees I wonder.
[Smile]

I've been on and off again with the sci-fi show, 'Stargate Atlantis' but I'm fairly bummed about the series ending this week.

Somehow TPTB on that show seem to think that the only formula they can use for Stargate stories must involve HUGE incredibly powerful and numerous badguys.
Then, they have to have some mega genious, like Sam or Rodney, sweep in with a short term solution but the war still goes on.
The characters were finally really getting mature and complex and stories could less galaxy destroying possiblities!

Oh well.
Sorry for the rant.
I just don't know why everything has to be an epic.
[Frown]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Robin Hood: Men In Tights

Now I can't get that damn song out of my head. [eek]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought VERTIGO was slow and a bit boring when I first saw it in college. Boy, did my opinion change by the next time I saw it a decade or so later.

Hmmm- the fact that my first viewing was on a small set with mediocre color in a college dorm room couldn't have had anything to do with my initial judgment, could it?

It most definitely is complex and- I'd call it disturbing more than horrifying- but I thought it'd been pretty much recognized as such.

That scene where Kim Novak, freshly bleached and teased and tucked into the Jimmy Stewart character's fantasy, emerges into the ghostly green glow of reflected neon is one I'll never forget.

It's a small masterpiece of mood, music, character and obssession. That scene, I mean. VERTIGO as a whole is most definitely not 'small'.

I know his own favorite of his films was SHADOW OF A DOUBT, which I always love. My personal favorite is probably REAR WINDOW. I think a good argument could be made putting VERTIGO forward as his best film.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
For Christmas (which my family just celebrated this past Saturday due to an injury to my mom), I received two DVD sets which I'm currently enjoying: A Frank Capra collection including IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (definitely do *not* judge this one by the Adam Sandler remake), YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU, MR. SMITH GOES TO TOWN and AMERICAN MADNESS (the only one I've never seen before) and the remastered I, CLAUDIUS PBS/BBC series.

So far, I've only watched the documentary stuff for the Capra collection (interesting and gladly, it didn't put me off him- the way bios sometimes do of artists/writers I admire). I'm about 5/6s through CLAUDIUS, which has gained few peers in the ranks of great TV drama since it was produced in the 1970's. I think one of the greatest villainess in history slithers her way across the screen, like the snake in the opening credits. Not historically accurate, I don't believe, as she died years before her onscreen death.

For myself, I bought the second season of ROUTE 66- if you've never watched this series, rent it sometime and watch a few episodes. There's never been another show quite like it. Hearing the light, jazzy theme song just makes me happy.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Mystery Lad, first off love that current avatar.

Thanks for the Hitchcock info. I will start watching soon!

Your Christmas presents sound pretty cool! I want to read I, Claudius badly! Didn't know there was a PBS/BBC series! I still have to read it first.

This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.