Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 26)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
These may not be equal to 'Life on Mars' but I saw trailers for 2 new movies this week.

*One was for a new Will Smith movie ~ it looked interesting but I'm not really sure what it's about.

*The other was for a new Star Trek movie ~ I was just so shocked! I hadn't heard anything about it before this.
I'm a Trekkie, a kind of layed back one.
But, I HAVE dressed up like a Bajorian for Halloween before.
blush

I didn't recognize any cast members but it seemed to be a prequel to the original series with Spock and Kirk like characters.
I can't wait.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
*The other was for a new Star Trek movie

I didn't recognize any cast members but it seemed to be a prequel to the original series with Spock and Kirk like characters.

picture of new cast here

Pegg looks good as Scotty, Urban looks surprisingly good as McCoy, and the rest, eh. They'll do.

Spock isn't in that picture, but he's being played by the dude who plays Sylar on Heroes. Yikes...

They got a Russian kid to play Chekov, but he just doesn't look right to me. Such irony!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LardLad:
Anyone who's not watching "Life on Mars" is really missing out on a terrific show!

If you haven't heard the premise, it's about a New York City detective, Sam Tyler, who is struck by a car and wakes up in 1973. For some reason he finds exists in that era as himself and on that era's police force as a recent transfer. He has no idea why he's there and what his purpose is, though it's hinted often that he's in a coma in 2008.

The series is just plain lotsa fun! Seeing him experience the culture of the '70s and the brash tactics of the '70s police is a hoot. I've never been particularly fond of Harvey Keitel, but he's terrific as Lt. Gene Hunt. It's fun seeing Sam and Gene (often literally!) duke it out every episode. Jason O'Mara is a budding superstar as Sam.

Love the '70s hairdos and clothes, the hippies and even the social commentary about Now vs. Then. The show definitely has a serious side, but the more whimsical side is what's drawn me in.

If you're curious, you can easily catch up on it at ABC.com, unless I'm mistaken. This quirky show deserves a chance!

I haven't seen the US version. I loved the British version. And that makes me wary of seeing this. I don't want to be comparing the two.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The library FINALLY got in a Legion of Superheroes, vol 3. Since I don't have cable, I've not had the pleasure.

Substitutes, Ferro Lad.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
I have to put in a good word for Cartoon Network's Friday night lineup from 8:00 to 10:00. "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" has far surpassed my expectations and is lots of fun, "Secret Saturdays" is pretty interesting, "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" is hit or miss but not bad and "Ben 10 Alien Force" is really good for those of you missing the DCAU house style (a lot of veterans from JLU seem to have taken up residency on the series.) What makes it great is that my 2 1/2 year old is into them too so it's good father and son time. He really likes Ben 10 and Clone Wars, and anything to get a break from his obsession with "Ratatouille" is most welcome. Frankly, those are about the only shows on CN these days outside of a few Adult Swim programs that I can even watch. I really wish they'd have taken the opportunity to pick up the Legion cartoon for this block, it would have fit right in.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I watched 88 Minutes with Pacino. Horrible. It was a psychological drama.

Tried too hard to be sexy. I've never been so disappointed to see beautiful women making out. It was just so out of left fied and forced. (there was a naked yoga scene for a split second I enjoyed).

The good? I love Alicia Witt! Some other good looking ladies besides here...Leelee Sobieski, Amy Brenneman, Deborah Kara Unger(The Game), Leah Cairns(Battlestar...naked yoga!).

The bad? Everything else. I admit Pacino did a good job but the story was weak. Everybody is a suspect was done good for a while then got old. The forced girl on girl stuff was horrible.

Basically failed at being smarty and sexy. Not smart enough and forced sexyness.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
[QUOTE]
picture of new cast here

Pegg looks good as Scotty, Urban looks surprisingly good as McCoy, and the rest, eh. They'll do.

Spock isn't in that picture, but he's being played by the dude who plays Sylar on Heroes. Yikes...

They got a Russian kid to play Chekov, but he just doesn't look right to me. Such irony!

Thanks, Set!
(I wish ther was a 'genufleck'(sp?) Graemlin that I knew!)

I'm just hoping for the old team gestalt!
It's just so rare.

--------------------

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Note to self: pick up "88 minutes." Turn down volume.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

I've enjoyed watching 'Leverage' for the last two nights.
The show has a likeable cast and good bad-guys.
I've always loved Robin Hood stories.

--------------------

Come, join me!

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
JLU cartoons on Netflix. The ep with Morgaine was awful, and there was one other clunker that I've blocked out all memory of-- mostly, however, it's fun.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Right now i am watching the Big Bang Theory, and am trying to see 3rd rock from the Sun online, but its kinda frustrating, the only sites i can find break up the eps, or dont finish them at all.

I did find the japanese version of youtube that has a lot of the big bang stuff on them.

My god i have no life.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
rickshaw1:

quote:
My god i have no life.

But can your socks stand up on their own ?

I just watched Airplane last night for the 9,234,658th time since its premier. Yeah, yeah, I know. But I hate this time of year for more reasons than I could post, even if you all were interested. Desperate times, desperate measures, blah blah blah...

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So, like in all years, while I was shopping for people for Christmas, I decided that it was me that is the person I buy the best presents for, and I went and bought myself like 8 or 9 movies on Amazon.com. They are all movies from the 40’s, 50’s or 60’s from a few genres: Hitchcock suspense thrillers, 50’s Westerns, Noir films or 50’s science-fiction thrillers. The only problem is now I have about an additional 30+ I want to add to my collection and I can’t justify spending more than $70 on myself for Christmas (I even feel guilty about that when I still haven’t bought most my presents [Big Grin] )

Anyway, these films include mostly ones I’ve seen before and loved, though some I just bought on impulse. So far I’ve (re)watched 2:

Rope – EDE and I were discussing Rope about a year or so back and I ordered the movie and rewatched it. Even better the second time around. This is one of those gems that all movie fans love to find: the Hitchcock movie overlooked that ranks right up there with all of his best, and when you see it you’re blown away. There are so many good things already covered in this thread but for me the best part is two things that are pure Hitchcock: (1) the way he builds suspense by focusing the camera on his actors faces while events are occurring off-screen, so you’re becoming more and more anxious along with actor, almost seeing the wheels turn in their head, while at the same time assuming the worst, and (2) the way Hitch makes you feel incredibly nervous for the villains. Just like in Psycho, you aren’t really rooting for the bad guy, but you can’t help but feel nervous for them when they are on the verge of getting caught. It’s a complex and intriguing feeling when you watch his films. Rope remains the surprise Hitchcock film of the year for me.

Strangers on a Train – this is another one EDE mentioned to me that I had never seen though I of course knew of the plot and knew it was widely recognized as a great film. But WOW! It really is a great film. And so much of that has to do with the two actors and the way Hitchcock plays them against the rest of the movie (cast, setting, each other, really everything). Farley Granger, who I really only know from the aforementioned Rope is really a terrific and likeable actor, and he does a great job here of letting the viewer relate to him and suffer with him throughout. But the real show-stealer is Robert Walker who plays Bruno Anthony! He is superb! I would say he ranks up there for me as Hitch’s greatest on screen villain / menace EVER (better than Norman Bates definitely, though Raymond Burr’s menacing on screen persona in Rear Window is an honorable mention but just too brief to really compare). Walker is so many things: likeable but completely menacing and terrifying; totally believable; completely insane. Just thinking of this now as I type, Walker is really doing an incredible job bringing the Joker to life on the screen in terms of presence. Great, great movie.

BTW, isn’t it cool how you can always tell when a film is in Washington D.C. in these old films? Just like The Day the Earth Stood Still, Strangers on a Train’s setting is *so* D.C. even without all the monuments. I wonder if it’s a common set or location they use. You can always tell when a movie is in New York, Washington D.C., San Francisco or Los Angeles (blech on that last one!).

Some others I bought (both those I’ve seen before and some I haven’t), that I hope to maybe review: The Day the Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet (both I’ve seen many times but the remake made me recently long for the original and I figured I’d get what I consider the other great sci-fi movie of the 1950’s). The Big Sleep—my favorite noir film, at least tied with the Maltese Falcon as the two best detective and two best Bogart films outsides Casablanca. I’ve watched the Big Sleep so many times, and it’s a real pleasure knowing I’ll be watching again. The Searchers, which I *always* considered one of the best westerns ever before AFI ranked it that way, though I’m not sure I’d rank it as *the* best; certainly, its fantastic. The Third Man which I’m embarrassed to say I’ve never watched, which is an oversight I must fix. I generally do love Welles, either as director or actor, though I’m not one of those people that will grab you by the ear and explain to you his greatness (Although I have to say this recent notion in the last 20 years of A Touch of Evil being better than Citizen Kane doesn’t quite ring true with me). Hm, there are one or two more I ordered but haven’t gotten in the mail yet so I’ve forgotten what they are (yay for me for being surprised when they come in).

My wife is not really a movie buff like I am, and never watched ‘older’ movies when she was growing up (whereas I would watch endless amounts of them with my mom and dad). So my goal is that for each one I have to ‘push’ her into watching each one with me and then hopefully she will appreciate them, like she’s done with all of Hitch’s films so far.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candle:
I've enjoyed watching 'Leverage' for the last two nights.
The show has a likeable cast and good bad-guys.
I've always loved Robin Hood stories.

Shady, everyone I know whose watched this is raving about how good it is. I'm curious but have never watched it...hopefully I can rectify (TNT is usually good about showing reruns). Timothy Hutton is generally fantastic.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Note to self: pick up "88 minutes." Turn down volume.

LOL, good idea. Fast foward also. [Wink]

Cobie, I've been meaning on going on a Hitchcock kick. Sounds like an awesome present. I did the same. I bought myself the Spanish Prisoner and the Maltese Falcon. Can't wait to rewatch these. It's been about 10 years since I've seen either.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.