Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 25)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's Audrey Tatou.

Reading Crossing Calfornia by Adam Langer and The Interperter of the Maladies by Lira Something.

Both good books. The first short story from Interperter made me cry.

Looking forward to the new Harry Potter and the new James Frey book -My Friend Lenoard.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Woo hoo! George R.R. Martin's "A Feast for Crows" comes out July 26th! Finally!
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished "The Monster Show", a book about horror films and culture by one David J. Skal. He does a good job looking at some early horror flicks in the light of the aftermath of the First World War. Strangely enough, the book gets less interesting as he gets closer to the present day.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
...and I followed that one with another with another critical analysis, this time of modern "weird" fiction.

Went through it pretty quickly, since it didn't take long to determine that the writer was a tool.

I've started on a collection called "Shadows Over Baker Street". It's a batch of stories mixing Sherlock Holmes with the H.P. Lovecraft Mythos. The first story's by Neil Gaiman and is excellent, despite Gaiman not really having a handle on the Great Old Ones.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm on a sci-fi kick right now. ILIUM, by Dan Simmons, was one of the most enjoyable books I've read in years. The sequel, OLYMPOS, comes out in two weeks and I'm chomping at the bit. This is a reimagining of the Greek Gods as post-humans living on Mars some several thousand years from now (4000 AD?). They quantum transport back and forth to the battlefields of Troy to mess with the heroic mortals. Great fun to see the mortals turn the tables on the self-indulgent "gods".

After ILIUM, I read Robert J. Sawyer's FOSSIL HUNTER, book 2 of the Quintaglio Ascension about an intelligent race of dinosaurs transplanted from prehistoric Earth to a new planet to develop independently and give mamals a chance to develop on Earth. Sawyer is one of my favorite writers. He's always exploring the boundaries of his agnosticism and this trilogy is no exception.

I'm now reading MAMMOTH by John Varley, on the recommendation of a review in the Sunday paper. It's fluff.

[ June 14, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Got the recommended Ilium from the library - yep, it's a real page turner. It's a lot of fun to see how Simmons plays with Homer's story and adds more insight into the bickering gods. Nasty bunch, they are.

P.S. it's quite funny in parts, as well.

[ June 16, 2005, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Glad you're enjoying it FC. At your suggestion, I picked up "Souls in the Great Machine" several months ago. It's in my to-be-read pile which is steadily growing taller and taller.
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I'm on a sci-fi kick right now. ILIUM, by Dan Simmons, was one of the most enjoyable books I've read in years. The sequel, OLYMPOS, comes out in two weeks and I'm chomping at the bit. This is a reimagining of the Greek Gods as post-humans living on Mars some several thousand years from now (4000 AD?). They quantum transport back and forth to the battlefields of Troy to mess with the heroic mortals. Great fun to see the mortals turn the tables on the self-indulgent "gods".

it was after reading Ilium that I decided to included the greek gods in Leg35C Finale! My husband can quote Dan Simmons books like they are gospel.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

I finished Mammoth and do not recommend it, other than for casual reading while tanning.

I've just started "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. It's getting the same kind of positive buzz that "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" got.

By the way, RTVU2, did you ever finish Jonathan Strange?

Harbs, are you going to read Olympos? Only two weeks before it comes out.

Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Deffo Semi, but will have to wait until Alan's read it first.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
Deffo Semi, but will have to wait until Alan's read it first.

Maybe he could read it aloud to you while he refills your champange glass, peels your grapes and massages your tired feet. It's the least he could do. [Big Grin]
Harbinger
Advisor

We could hope! [LOL]

I'll point this out to him just in case he takes the hint [Big Grin]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
I've started reading ILIUM, but haven't been able to continue it recently. Too much stuff going on in college.

I'm also a fan of Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, though I admit his last few books haven't lived up to the greatness of the first five. I'm patiently waiting for Book 11.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:

By the way, RTVU2, did you ever finish Jonathan Strange?

Last book I read was My Friend Lenoard by James Frey.

I am thinking about trying to star over on two books that I gave up on. One being Jonathon Strange and the other being Devil in the White City.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished Louis L'Amour's "Haunted Mesa". It was ok, but he's writen much better. Going to be starting to reread Saberhagen's Books of Swords next.
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.