Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 20)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Most recent:

Arrested Development - I bought and watched Season One of this show after hearing about how funny it was for years. Lady Cobalt ended up not really enjoying it that much but for some reason I loved it. I thought it was the perfect blend of witty, tight dialogue and outright ridiculousness. Between this and Juno, I not only actually like Jason Bateman now, I like him a lot! Portia del Rossi was the best I've ever seen her and pretty much all the actors were fun. My favorite character was the oldest brother, Jobe, played by Will Forte. He sleazed it up so much that I couldn't help but love him.

Indiana Jones & the Crystal Skulls - I saw this and actually liked a lot. I'd say 95% of all of my friends were disappointed and many outright hated it. But I thought it was cool--Harrison Ford has aged quite a bit so they pretty much aged the series from the late 30's to the 50's, and in doing so changed many of the themes: whereas there are now Commies instead of Nazis, the other 1950's-centric themes apply too, including the Cold War, nuclear paranoia and aliens, which are all really connected in popular fiction of that era. So I thought it all fit pretty well. Evidently, many disagree [Big Grin] . Plus, I for some reason kind of was digging Kate Blanchett with that weird haircut, but I always find her very pretty.

Dexter - this is the series that prompted me to revisit this thread. I'd heard about it a little, but never realized what I was missing. Probably the most intense TV show I've ever seen, it’s quality rivals some of the best offered these last few years, like Lost, the Shield and Rome. Getting into the mind of a serial killer who was led towards another path which included some morals he could hang onto is fascinating. The show is creepy and makes no apologies for it; the subject matter is not for the faint of heart. The supporting characters are interesting, complex and really flawed and I like pretty much all of them. This is really a great show (I’m halfway through season 1). The most interesting part is to really explore the notion of a serial killer as a cold sociopath person who really can’t feel any emotions, but knows how to fake it to blend it just right; and then how that is both a gift in dealing with horrific situations and a serious flaw in being unable to feel love, compassion or care for those that love him.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Saw The Happening last night. I thought it was pretty good. There were a few moments early on where I thought it was shaping up to be M. Knight's best movie ever, but it didn't quite deliver. Nonetheless, I thought it was pretty solid. I wasn't quite sold on Mark Wahlberg as a science teacher, but I thought the cast did a pretty good job overall. It probably reminded me of The Birds more than anything, though more like if the birds had started near the end and focused on the characters fleeing from the center of the attack.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
To Do List:
IJ $ the CS
Hulk
Iron Man.
Charlie Wilson's War (someone keeps checking it out of the library before I get there, grrr.)

Arrested Development: I've tried on several occasions. It's just too low key for me. I don't get into Office either.

Dexter: that sounds interesting. Is it on regular network?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Just saw the Hulk. Meh. Somewhere between this movie and Ang Lee's version, there's a good movie, waiting to get out. (Ang Lee's had better casting, better acting and better CGI. This one benefitted from not having Hulk-dogs and not having Kris Kristofferson chewing the scenery, as well as having a better storyline.)

Iron Man rocked like no super-hero movie since Spider-Man has rocked.

I liked the new Indy as well, so it's nice to see that someone else in the world liked it! (Then again, every review that I read before the movie said that it wasn't as good as Last Crusade, which I hated with a passion, but was way better than Temple of Doom, which was my favorite, so I'm obviously not the average Indy fan...)

As for TV, Galactica's done, so now I'm waiting for Eureka to start up again. Once Eureka is done, it should be about time for Supernatural to start up again. I watch about 45 minutes of TV a week. [Smile]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Dexter: that sounds interesting. Is it on regular network?

Its on Showtime which is probably why both of us never heard of it before now. It actually doesn't have that much nudity, swearing or blood (okay, maybe a good amount of swearing), its just the gruesome subject matter that gets to be censor-free. I believe it already has 2 seasons out on DVD.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't hate the new Indy, but the switch to '50s sensibilities was very jarring for me. Yes, I know it wouldn't have made sense to set this film in the '40 given Indy's age, but it often felt that Indy was simply irrelevant or outmoded in this setting. Even the UFO stuff seemed out of Indy's story bubble. The story was simultaneously too real (A-bomb) and too surreal (aliens) to be an Indiana Jones adventure. I'd just have to say this story needed a '50s-style hero, not a '30s/'40s-style hero.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I think Indy might've actually worked better if the focus had been on Shia Leboeuf's character rather than Indy himself. Somehow the Russians seemed far less interesting as villains than the Nazis did. The basic problem, conceptually, is that while the Nazis were pretty much obsessed with occult stuff, the communists very definitely weren't, so you can't have them going after something like the Ark of the Covenant.

I wasn't big on the alien component, either. Part of the success of the first movie was that the plots were very much rooted in the pulp literature of the 30s/40s. But crashed alien bodies from Roswell is so much more a 90s kind of plot than something from the 50s.

So, while I enjoyed the movie, I thought it could have been a lot better.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
It almost seemed like Indy 4 was a potential re-invention / expansion of the pulp genre. Somewhere in the fuzzy area between Alan Quartermain and Flash Gordon and The Day the Earth Stood Still.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I watched Rabbit Proof Fence last night. It was interesting in that I knew almost nothing about the history of Aborigines in Australia going into it, and so it was nice being exposed to something different. As a movie, it was a little tedious. But as far as getting one pissed off at the arrogance of European civilization, it was quite effective.
Probability Pete
Probably

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Probability Pete   Email Probability Pete         Edit/Delete Post     
"The Middleman" a new sci-fi series on abcfamily based on a comic book of the same name episode 2 is on tonight with a repeat of episode 1 an hour earlier watched it last week a lot of fun sort of like Men in Black meets Gilmore Girls.
From: NJ | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Saw Get Smart over the weekend. While far from the worst movie ever based on a classic TV series, it was kind of disappointing, especially given the talent involved. I'd recommend waiting for when it is shown ad naseum on Cable TV.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Saw The Happening last night. I thought it was pretty good. There were a few moments early on where I thought it was shaping up to be M. Knight's best movie ever, but it didn't quite deliver. Nonetheless, I thought it was pretty solid. I wasn't quite sold on Mark Wahlberg as a science teacher, but I thought the cast did a pretty good job overall. It probably reminded me of The Birds more than anything, though more like if the birds had started near the end and focused on the characters fleeing from the center of the attack.

Saw the Happening too and I agree with Eryk's assessment. I liked it though many will not. It wasn't his best movie but it was a good watch and I'd watch it again. There were some very suspenseful and creepy parts and I thought those moments were done very well. It was the actual people (you'll know who I mean when you see the movie) who were terrifying, not the 'event'.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally rented The Prestige on DVD after meaning to since, like, forever! Wow, was it ever worth the wait! Excellent performances from Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale--as well as all the supporting actors like Michael Caine, Scarlett Johannson and David Bowie. Bale is swiftly becoming one of my very favorite actors!

I feel pretty astute, though, as I figured out well before the end the twists for both characters that were later unveiled. I was left though with some questions about Bale's twist and how far and with whom his ruses were taken, if anyone who's seen it knows what I mean. That's part of the fun for me, I guess.

Anyhow, I highly, HIGHLY recommend this 2006 film to anyone who hasn't seen it yet or who's enjoyed any of director Chris Nolan's other films like Batman Begins or especially (one of my personal favorites of his) Memento. I'll definitely be seeking Nolan's other films out!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Loved The Prestige, time to watch that one again.

"Mysterious Skin"

The second amazing piece of work (The Lookout) I've seen by the Third-Rock kid Joey Gordon-Levitt. He doesn't play it safe with his roles, for sure.

A great movie to see on a day where you need a kick in the emotions. NOT an easy movie to watch though. I'd recommend reading a good synopsis before taking this one on.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
I've finally gotten around to playing back my entire Gerry Anderson videotape collection. I started with 10 random episodes of STINGRAY (recorded off the Sci-Fi Channel just before they yanked it off the air), and am now in the middle of a trio of THUNDERBIRDS compilation films (2 episodes each). After this it'll be the 2 TB feature films, and then the 10 episodes of CAPTAIN SCARLET AND THE MYSTERONS I taped off Sci-Fi before they stopped showing that, too.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.