Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 20)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished it, B. Excellent stuff.
Read in SFX mag that it's a four parter - I hope that doesn't spoil the end for you.

The only problem that I have with Donaldsons work is that of the second reading.
First time around it is just SOOOOO brilliant. Second time it's just "Get on with it - I know what happens next and I don't want to read 40 pages to get to the next part." But then I'm a much slower reader than most.
Needless to say I haven't tried any of them a third time.

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
Oops. Forgot to tell you what I'm reading now.

Nothing. Nada. Nix.

Bugger all.

I'm sure I'll pick up something soon.

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Numf-El:
I'm sure I'll pick up something soon.

And we hope there'll be a cure for it! [Razz]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Stillll reading Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson.

Reading a Stephenson book is like reducing a set of encyclopediae into liquid form, and then slowly immersing yourself in it. Sometimes you feel like you can't breathe, but you're guaranteed to learn something new through the process... Quicksilver is awesome - can't wait to read the two sequels!

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Re-reading Timeline by Crichton again. Breezed through about 300 pages in the last couple of days. One of the few authors I genuinely enjoy re-reading.

Finally gave up on the Dark Tower series. Maybe I'll try it again at some point in the future but not now.

[ February 20, 2005, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Crichton does have excellent re-read value. Loved Terminal Man and Andromeda Strain...

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Andromeda Strain is a big favorite of mine. Both book and movie. The Great Train Robbery is another one of Crichton's best.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Any fellow Canadians out there who caught CBC's list of "Canada Reads" books? The top 5 came out this morning, but I missed the program.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Owl Lad:
Any fellow Canadians out there who caught CBC's list of "Canada Reads" books? The top 5 came out this morning, but I missed the program.

Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen
Rockbound by Frank Parker Day
Volkswagen Blues by Jacques Poulin
No Crystal Stair by Mairuth Sarsfield
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Here's the site and list: http://www.cbc.ca/canadareads/books.html

Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the link, my neighbouring American. You bring this Canuck to shame.
From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I am reading Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond .

Its a big book, but that reading is fascianting. He examines lots of past societies and modern ones and with enviromental factors and relations with neighboring societies . A great read...

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I recently finished Gene Wolfe's "The Knight" and am now reading the second volume "The Wizard." They're well written, but don't grab me as much as I expected having read all the adulatory reviews.

In between, I read Michael Creighton's "The State of Fear." Not a good book - I'm sorry I wasted my time. He spends most of the book proferring his own political agenda and neglects those little things that make a novel readable - like character development. Although I generally enjoy him for a quick non-challenging read, "The State of Fear" didn't do it for me.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished a book titled GLORIANA, OR THE UNFULFILLED QUEEN by Michael Moorcock. It's the first book of his that I've read.

It's a dark fantasy, I guess, though the fantasy is really just around the edges... The title character is patterned after Elizabeth I of England.

It's an erotic book, in a way... with an ending that might piss a lot of folks (particulary women) off... though it's also an inevitable ending, I felt.

The book features a character, called Quire, who is fascinating. He'd be a great prototype for an adversary in comics.

[ February 27, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Who'd have thought that ROCKBOUND would win the Canada Reads competition? I think it was resurrected just for the contest. A novel that the residents of the island it was based on described as not representative of their way of life. Haven't read it, though, so I'm just being grumpy.

I've just started, finally, The Life of Pi. Promising!

Also reading The Logogryph, a book about imaginary books. Sort of like Calvino or Borges.

Plodding through The Luminous Ground by Christopher Alexander - the fourth volume in a series "The Nature of Order" on creating living structures - buildings, gardens, ornaments which become alive and express our connectedness to the universe. It may sound wacky, but it's a serious and idea-dense work by a professor of architecture at UC Berkely.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I've just started, finally, The Life of Pi. Promising!

It's a wonderful book. Please do tell us what you think about it. I loved the ending...
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.