Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » "The Anime Thread" Thread (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: "The Anime Thread" Thread
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The manga can sometimes differ drastically from the anime.

In Sailor Moon, in order to catch up to the manga, they created an entire filler arc which dominated the first half of the second season. And the fifth season lacked most of the source material from the comic.

Revolutionary Girl Utena, the anime, was much more metaphysical and surreal than the manga. It was like it was written by Grant Morrison at certain times.

Bubblegum Crisis didn't have a manga.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann Hebistand
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann Hebistand           Edit/Delete Post     
The original Gundam trilogy of movies is excellent. I've seen some of the subsequent incarnations of Gundam, and while they've gotten more technically sophisticated, I don't think any of them are as inspired as the original.
Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Which ones were those.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann Hebistand
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann Hebistand           Edit/Delete Post     
The compilations (with extensive re-animation and re-edits) of the original TV series.
Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Thanx.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by profh0011:
Cartoons from Japan! My first...

8TH MAN

The show VANISHED from the airwaves around here when B&W shows fell out of favor around 1970... a real tragedy.

It might not have helped nationally that he recharged his body by smoking "nuclear isotope cigarettes", but I wonder if those parts made it to the states.

There was a sequel animated miniseries some years called 8 Man After, featuring a new hero. It kept the intensity but lost the humor. Well, the intentional humor.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

"Nuclear isotope cigarettes"? I love Japan.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know the difference between anime and manga.
I remember Speed Racer but I didn't really watch it very much.
Were the Hurculoids or Thundar or Thunder Cats Japanese?
I watched the Hurculoids(sp) as a kid and my boys watched the other two and I watched with them.

I watched Pokemon, Yugio and Battle something Z with my older grandkids.
I played Pokemon with the boy and just gave all of my original Nintendo 64 and yellow, red, blue, gold, silver and crystal to my 4 little grand daughters (about killed me).
Yugio was big with Dorian, too.
I watche Sailor Moon with one of my older Gran girl, Dorian's sister.

On my own, I've seen and/or read Akira, Nausicaa (love), Princess Mononoki(sp), Crying Freeman, Tank Girl, Dirty Pair, Battle Angel and a number of shows on Toonami.

What's the show with the monkish kids who all fight each other?
I know there's a number of them but this was very teenish.

Anyway, my latest favorite has been Avatar, the Last Air Bender.
That, Nausicaa and Pokemon are probably my 3 favorites.

[ September 09, 2010, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: Candle ]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Anime's the cartoons. Manga is the comic.

No, I believe the Herculoids, Thundar, and Thunder Cats are American. I remember the Herculoids from Cartoon Network when I was little.

I still have Pokemon Blue, I also had a guide but I don't remember where it is. I think I lost it, which sucks because I tried replaying it a couple of years ago and made a mistake.

My brother loves the Miyazaki movies, although the only two he owns are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle (he even has the book). We used to have Little Nemo in Slumberland and Kiki's Delivery Service on tape but we gave them away.

I think you mean Xiaolin Showdown, but that was an American cartoon as well.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:

My brother loves the Miyazaki movies,

So do I.

Even lesser Miyazaki (like, sadly, the recent Ponyo)is well worth looking into.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I saw some of Nausicaa on TV, but not all of it, but I did see all of Castle of Cagliostro (did I spell it right?).

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

You did spell it right.

That movie is so much fun I can't believe they didn't hand Miyazaki the Lupin 111 franchise.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I saw some of the Lupin episodes that they showed on Adult Swim.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
THE HERCULOIDS (think "Johnny Weismuller Tarzan in space") was created by Alex Toth for Hanna-Barbera, just like SPACE GHOST (think "Batman in space") the year before.

THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN (think "Kamandi all grown up", heh) was created by Steve Gerber, Alex Toth, and Jack Kirby for Ruby-Spears, a studio comprised of animators who'd left Hanna-Barbera and were trying to do something better. In this case, Toth designed the 3 main characters, but Jack Kirby designed EVERYTHING ELSE. The entire show looks, feels, read and even SOUNDS like a Kirby comic (heh). It feels more to me like a Kirby comic than ANY cartoons that were ever based on Kirby comics. Maybe because he was actually working on the show.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
What, no Gatchaman fans? I loved it as Battle of the Planets as a kid, even though they butchered it. (Seriously. They didn't even translated it. They chopped out the violent scenes then made up a story to go with the rest of the animation and added in the most annoying robot ever to try and explain what didn't make sense.)

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.