Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Movies that disappointed you! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Movies that disappointed you!
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
[Embarrassed] [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Perhaps, he disappointed himself, lol.

Other disappointments- the Tom Clancy movie of Jack Ryan with Ben Aflac. (I know, it just that the duck is more entertaining, lol.)

Addams family reunion- but honestly, who expected it to be good?

Elvira's haunted hills- fun for what it was, but i was hoping for something more for her second feature.

By the same token, House II- not much of the charm from the first movie. And man, i never even saw a house three, but there was a house four?

Million Dollar Baby- okay, i like boxing, and i like looking at hot chicks (what straight guy doesn't, lol) but Hillary ain't all that swank, and the movie was kinda...dull.

Small gems- Seraphim Falls, both Pierce and Liam did a great job, on what was obviously not a high budget film. Angelica is still a hottie, even though she is beginning to show her age.

Poodle Springs- yes, i know, it was cable, and it had that really short dude thats supposed to be a tough guy as lead, but any Phillip Marlowe i can get is good phillip marlowe, lol.

Fright Night II- much more fun than one.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Dances with Wolves ~ I saw it when it was already on the "C" circuit at a neat little place called the Brewhouse (a bar/lounge with a movie screen. You sit around tables and order food off a menu and watch the movie)

It was so god-awful boring that we couldn't even drink ourselves into oblivion while waiting for it to end. It's the only movie that I've ever chosen to walk out on.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uranus Lad
substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uranus Lad   Email Uranus Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh where do I start? Pretty much anything with a former (post original cast) SNL cast member. I especially loathe Mike Meyers and why anyone finds him funny is completely beyond me. maybe this isn't so much "disappointment: as I more or less expect this class of movies to suck.

One that really sticks out is "Be Cool" a supposed sequel to Get Shorty -a pretty decent film. Be Cool was so horrible I came close to walking out but thought my friend were enjoying it, turns out they felt the same way.

Any movie that you see lots of commercials for will almost inevitably suck (there are a few exceptions, Iron Man was pretty good) so spare yourself the expense and the inevitable disappointment and avoid overly advertised movies.

--------------------
Is that a moon?

From: Portland, OR | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Uranus Lad:
Any movie that you see lots of commercials for will almost inevitably suck

M Night Shama-lama-ding-dong's The Happening fits in that category, from what I've heard... haven't seen it, nor will I. Shock-gore and environmental preachiness, no thank you! [Razz]

It'd be funny, though, to make a spoof called "The What's Happening"... just to see a bunch of dancing Reruns jumping off the rooftop... or Rog laying under that industrial lawnmower... [No] [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Oh where do I start? Pretty much anything with a former (post original cast) SNL cast member. I especially loathe Mike Meyers and why anyone finds him funny is completely beyond me. maybe this isn't so much "disappointment: as I more or less expect this class of movies to suck.

I agree with this assessment. I'd say 95% of this long list of movies is crap.

Forest Gump - man, I loved this movie!

Citizen Kane - I like the film a lot, but agree that I can think of others that are better. My film teacher in college thought this wasn't even Welles' best film and that "A Touch of Evil" was. He made a strong arguement and I think 'Touch' is excellent (but again, its largely ignored by critics while Citizen Kane is so largely trumpeted). On the other hand, I think Casablanca, my favorite movie of all time, deserves 100% of the praise its gotten over the years.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I once walked out on a Leonardo DiCaprio movie about the man in the iron mask in which he plays Louis XIV. Even though I wasn't all that into it I might have been able to stick it out, but then he responded to one of his ministers with a "yuh-huh" and I just couldn't take it anymore.

My partner and I argued about whether to go to a film I wanted to see, Kate and Leopold, or his choice, a Lord of The Rings film. I "won". He picked the next three or four films after that one.

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Vee: Dances with Wolves ~
God, I thought the brain cells I lost when I watched that snoozefest were gone forever. But now they're back.

The damn *horse* was the best part of that movie.

And then I watched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which was pretty cool, and remember thinking that Costner's lifeless bored 'get me out of here' performance really dragged down what could have been the best movie in years.

It was later said that he was 'tired' from working back to back on Polkas with Porcupines and I remember thinking, 'Oh, so because he spent so much time on a movie that *sucked,* a movie that was pretty good suffered?' Ugh.

And as long as I'm bashing Costner. Field of Dreams. Also, Waterworld.

On the other tentacle, No Way Out frikkin' *rocked.*

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"Give me the option to watch any of those movies, or the Lost in Space remake, and I'll be watching the Lost in Space remake, because it at least had some funny moments."

HAH!

I saw the LIS film twice... loved it both times, despite its faults.

Along similar lines... I've gone to see ALIEN several times... INCLUDING its reissue not long ago, which I went so I could see the scenes I'd read about so long ago that were cut.

But given a choice of that and something-- heh-- "similar"-- I'll take THE GREEN SLIME!!! (By a mile!)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"Polkas with Porcupines"

You know... that just sounds SO MUCH like it OUGHT to be a movie... or at least, a cartoon short.

"Oh, OUGHT is such a TERRIBLE word!"
--Simon Templar / THE SAINT IN NEW YORK (1938)

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
quote:
Any movie that you see lots of commercials for will almost inevitably suck

M Night Shama-lama-ding-dong's The Happening fits in that category, from what I've heard... haven't seen it, nor will I. Shock-gore and environmental preachiness, no thank you! [Razz]

It'd be funny, though, to make a spoof called "The What's Happening"... just to see a bunch of dancing Reruns jumping off the rooftop... or Rog laying under that industrial lawnmower... [No] [LOL]

Aaron Williams beat you to that one Bri.

-

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
[ROTFLMAO]

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I mentioned this thread to my roommate. The film he felt was a disappointment was "Independence Day"

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
10,000 BC. After what Roland Emmerich did with Independence Day and The Day After Tomorrow. Like a DnA storyline falling apart in the third act.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

"E.T., Close Encounters and 2001: A Space Odyssey are examples of movies that I *wanted* to like, being a fan of sci-fi, but found terribly disappointing."

Let's see... saw E.T. once... ONCE!! More than enough.Bordered on nauseating. CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, if I hadn't read the comic-book adaptation first, and knew the ending and was waiting to see the ending, I swear, I would have walked out halfway thru. That's how annoying that film was. (My sensibilities and Steven Spielberg's must be so far apart, only a tiny handful of his films I've ever gotten to really like at all...)

Now 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY I saw when it first came out, in a theatre equipped for C I N E R A M A (curved screen & 3 projectors!). Could barely follow it, but was highly amused when, halfway thru the "star gate" sequence-- HALF the audience walked out! HALF!!! Outrageous. Then I read the novel, and was able to better figure out what was going on. I went to see it again EACH time it was reissued in the 70's (it got reissued more often than FANTASIA) and really enjoyed seeing it on a big screen in one theatre in Moorestown equipped way back then with a STEREO sound system. But when ABC ran it, it disappeared from theatres... and over the years, all the "big" houses got cut up into shoeboxes...

Now 2010-- that I love without reservations. Sometimes I'll watch the 2 of them back-to-back (a day or so apart). 2001 is an amazing technical achievement... but 2010 is a great MOVIE.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.