Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Alias 2001-2006 (Spoilers) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Alias 2001-2006 (Spoilers)
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
ABC has pulled the plug.

Ain't It Cool has the press release.

Just as well. All the inevitable baby drama would've just dragged the show down even further.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Did anyone catch the latest episode? I just kept thinking they were riffing on "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind".

Nice to see Syd's mom is back -- she's always been a good element to the show. Too bad Sloane has been such a non-factor this season. Hopefully the plot with her daughter will pick up if only to see Sloane do something.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Irina's back? Like, Lena Olin was actually around?

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Yup -- she revealed herself at the end of the ep as the one who kidnapped Syd and had her brainwashed in an attempt to get her to recollect a name that was on that big map of SD-6 Vaughn showed her in season one. She also appears to want Syd'd child for some reason.
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Darn. I guess the producers know what they have to do to get me hooked again...

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
HA!

I always knew staying faithful to this show would pay off. I can't wait for the final episodes.

And the cancellation is actually a blessing in disguise, because I remember J.J. Abrams once saying that his original outline covered five whole seasons worth of stories. Once the show is over, it would be fascinating if Abrams posted this original outline, from before the show had to be changed to adapt to different circumstances over the years.

[ December 23, 2005, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I'd be most interested to know if he originally intended the whole Rimbaldi thing to end the way it did and if he originally intended for Syd to have a sister -- that one seemed like a last minute patch.
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i'm sorry to hear this show is ending at the end of season 5 !! but i guess they can't go on forever, without running out of some of the 'steam' !!

as i've only just started watching season four [ got it for Christmas ] i guess i can't comment on what's happened up until now, but i have [Love] the last 3 seasons, and i'm sure the produces will really 'bring it' for the season finale !!

how far are you through the season ?? and apart from that i can't really ask much more, without it spoiling it for myself ......

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad to hear you've been enjoying the show. I'll be interested to know your opinion on the very controversial Season Four; as I said earlier in this thread, I think that apart from some weak stand-alone episodes, it's an excellent season.

So far, we're nine episodes into the final season, with the next one scheduled for Thursday March 2nd. I guess this long delay is to allow all the remaining episodes to be completed so that they can air without missing a single week.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

While we wait for the new episodes, I thought it might be fun if we looked back on our favorite moments. So here's my question: What are your five favorite Alias episodes and why?

My Top Five:

1. "A Missing Link" (Season Three) Written by Monica Breen and Alison Schapker; Directed by Lawrence Trilling.

Sydney goes deep undercover as a mercenary and discovers that during her "lost years" she actually was a mercenary. At the end of the episode, she's faced with the choice of either stabbing Vaughan or blowing her cover, so she stabs Vaughan.

Wow. So many gray areas here, especially with Syd's jealousy of Vaughan and Lauren's marriage. Great line, right after she stabs Vaughan, "You should never have betrayed me." This episode, Breen and Schapker's first Alias script, is why they are my favorite Alias writers, and Trilling was my favorite Alias director (Trilling, who was also a producer, is much missed this season.)

2. "The Passage, Parts One & Two" (Season Two) Written by Debra J. Fisher & Erica Messer (Part One) and Crystal Nix Hines (Part Two); Directed by Ken Olin (Parts One & Two)

The family that spies together...etc. Syd, Jack, and Irina go on a mission together.

As far as I'm concerned, the more Irina the merrier. Great scene where the she and Jack pose as a married couple, with Syd as their bratty college-age daughter.

3. "Detente" (Season Four) Written by Alison Schapker and Monica Breen; Directed by Craig Zisk.

Syd and Nadia are teamed up on the same mission.

I may be in the minority, but I like Nadia and I think this episode was the best showcase of the chemistry that Jennifer Garner and Mia Maestro had.

4. "Nocturne" (Season Four) Written by Jeff Pinkner; Directed by Lawrence Trilling.

Syd's blood is infected with a drug that causes hallucinations and madness.

This, IMO, is the apogee of the producers' Season Four agenda: a highly effective stand-alone. Trilling once again shows that he was the most stylish director the show ever had. This is a must-see on DVD, because it restores a brief but very important scene which ABC censored.

5. "Time Will Tell" (Season One) Written by Jeff Pinkner; Directed by Perry Lang.

Syd discovers coded messages in her mother's collection of vintage books.

Even though Syd spends the next few episodes after this mistakenly believing Jack to be a traitor, this is really the first sign that Laura/Irina was not who she seemed to be. And that makes it a key episode for me.

--------------------

the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
cool post Stealth !!

i need to look over my DVDs and choose my favourites, although mine will only be up to season 3, and a few episodes from season 4, so far !!

actually, my next episode to watch is .... 'Nocturne' !! so i'm looking forward to seeing that one !!

the first one that comes to mind is from season 3, 'Full Disclosure' where Director Kendell reveals all to Sydney, about her missing 2 years, i loved that one !!

i'll get back to you with my next 4 episodes .....

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I don't know the names of any of these, but off the top of my head:

-- The episode that pits uber couples Syd and Vaughn against Sark and Lauren. Lots of twists and double-agent turns and an interesting comparison / contrast between the (three if you count Vaughn/Lauren) couples.
-- The one where they take down SD-6. I really didn't see it coming. This was a major change in status quo and Vaughn and Syd finally get together!
-- The one where Irina breaks out and double-crosses Jack -- again!!

I can't really remember any other specific episodes, but there were a lot of them -- this show was consistantly great for longer than most before this season.

Owl Lad
proudtobecanadian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Owl Lad   Email Owl Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Specific moments/episodes I loved:

1. the sight of Francie's murdered body, only to have the camera pan to Francie's evil double!!!

2. the awesome kickbutt fight scene with evil Francie and Sydney to the "death" which acted as a springboard for Syd's missing year storyline

3. Vaughn and Sydney posing as a married couple in the suburban spy neighbourhood and having to face off with another couple at the car dealership - a great hybrid idea on the Truman Show/The Most Dangerous Game concept

4. Syd and Vaughn's car crash and Vaughn's revelation: "My name isn't Michael Vaughn."

5. the triumphant return of Vaughn ---alas, one can only dream

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thank you all. This is simply wonderful.

Matt, "Full Disclosure" is a favorite of mine as well; even though Terry O'Quinn is excellent on Lost, I still think he's always at his best when he's called on to bring much-needed substance to generic authority figure characters such as Kendall.

And please share your thoughts on "Nocturne" in this thread once you've seen it. I would be very interested to read them.

Drake, I totally agree on the Syd/Vaughn versus Sark/Lauren one; as I've said before, I think the whole bizarre love triangle-turned-bizarre love quadrangle was one of the best things about Season Three.

Owl Lad, good call on the Truman Show/Most Dangerous Game episode; another great example of a Season Four stand-alone that really did work.

If anyone else wants to contribute their favorite episodes/scenes, you're still welcome to.

And here's the next question: what was your favorite one of Sydney's aliases?

It's difficult to choose just one, but I choose Beatrice Cunelli, the very wealthy and very demanding Italian lady on holiday in Morocco.

[ January 19, 2006, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

No one else has a favorite Sydney alias? Oh well.

Here's another question: who do you think will still be standing when the end credits roll for the final time?

My guesses are:

Alive: Sydney, Rachel, Nadia, Dixon, Marshall, Boring New Guy Whose Name I Can't Be Bothered To Remember

Dead: Jack, Sloane, Irina

[ January 22, 2006, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.