Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Bi-Polar Boy
sometimes up, sometimes down

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bi-Polar Boy   Email Bi-Polar Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I haven't read anyone review of H2G2 yet because I want to give my opinion about what I saw and not be influeanced.

As a whole, I really enjoyed the movie. There was a lot of scene's that had me laughing hard and many that had me chuckling. The chuckling was anytime Marvin was giving his depressing talks. Get voice in Rickman.

I did love the beginning with the dolphin. The song had me thinking lounge act. I could see the dolphins singing this before they left.

I really enjoyed the H2G2's narration during the movie. It gave the audience members a feeling of what is going on. Kind of a continuity connection.

I did catch a major background joke. When Zaphod, Ford and Arthur were cutting through the line, the Marvin from the UK series was in line (the robot with the rectangular/concave head. Nice placement.

I have a few problems with the movie though:
1) It was never mentioned in the movie about the reason for a towel. Unless you read the book, one will never understand the reason a hitchhiker carries one. And if I remember my book correctly, Ford's towel had shown some wear to it.
2) Ford was on Earth to investigate it for H2G2. We find that out while Ford and Arthur are on the Volgan ship. There is no mention in the movie about Ford's entry about Earth...that being Earth: Mostly Harmless. This should have led to a interesting discussion while on the Volgan ship. IMO this made the reason for Earth model 2 seem like a throwaway idea.
3) I was slightly freaked out by Zaphod, esp with the location of his second head. I mean by this is this Texan, psychotic personality. I didn't expect it to be so flamboyant or, as the movie has stated, stupidness. Guess I need to reread the book and find out how, if any, of it changed.

All-in-all, a good 3.5 stars out of 5. I do want to catch this again in a matinee to catch more of the injokes.

Oh, I did love the trailer for Disney's Chicken Little. It did start off like the beginning for H2G2, including the Earth exploding, the DON'T PANIC that would be on the Guide. Then the DON'T falls down and Chicken Little is screaming and running towards the camera. Great movie tie-in!!

--------------------
Any concerns about the content...live with it.

From: in a lithium haze | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bi-Polar Boy
sometimes up, sometimes down

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bi-Polar Boy   Email Bi-Polar Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
So long & thanks for all the fish
So sad that it should come to this
We tried to warn you, but oh dear

You may not share our intellect
Which might explain your disrespect
For all the natural wonders that grow around you
So long, so long & thanks for all the fish

The world's about to be destroyed
There's no point getting all annoyed
Lie back and let the planet dissolve around you

Despite those nets of tuna fleets
We thought that most of you were sweet
Especially tiny tots and your pregnant women
So long, so long, so long, so long, so long

If I had just one last wish
I would like a tasty fish
If we could just change one thing
We all have learned to sing

Come one and all
Man and mammal
Side by side in life's great gene pool

"There was a point to this story, but it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind."
"In the beginning the Universe was created... This made a lot of people
angry and was widely regarded as a bad move."

--------------------
Any concerns about the content...live with it.

From: in a lithium haze | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Psychout
Your mind is my playground

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Psychout   Email Kid Psychout         Edit/Delete Post     
saw it, and it was... ok.

Not as breakneck funny as i'd hoped but the first half paced well. Great casting. Martin Freeman was perfect as Arthur.

Sam Rockwell was great as Zaphod, sort of Owen Wilson channelling Zap Brannigan. And you have to admire the man for wearing the skin-tight gold boxers with as much aplomb as he did. Despite the dodgy second head he carried much of the humour and got many of the best lines too. ("Honey, are you wearing my underwear? 'cause i'm wearing yours and they're not cutting it")

Mos Def as Ford and Alan Rickman as Marvin were excellent, they just really didn't get to do enough. More screentime they should've had, mainly because the main reason Marvin is so funny is he's so relentlessly depressed, the odd comment just doesn't convey him.

Bill Bailey in his cameo as the whale was great (the petunias last words mean so much more if you've read the book).

Unfortunately, the love story between Arthur and Trilliam did annoy me. Everytime they had a moment everything crawled to a halt and it did distract. Especially as you did not get the impression that Trilliam actually was a rocket scientist.

Overall it seemed like British humour confined to the form of an American movie, i was hoping for something a lot more anarchic, but it was fun and worth catching if not must see.

From: Melbourne, Auz. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.