Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Babylon 5 (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Babylon 5
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Michael O'Hare, who played Sinclair, was a more cerebral and understated actor than Boxleitner, who was more in keeping with the Hollywood model of a leading man: gung-ho, handsome, etc. Neither character or actor was necessarily bad. Both were appropriate for the story at the time, I think.

I preferred the Sinclair character in some ways. Yeah, he could be stiff, but I found it worked as a personality flaw. The show already had an Everyman in the Garibaldi character, and I think the Sheridan character encroached on that in a lot of ways.

But a change was going to happen anyway. The network was reportedly unhappy, and JMS was said to be introducing a new character, thinking that having Sinclair go to Zaadum (sp?) in addition to fulfilling his main destiny was putting too much of the story onto one character.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:

But a change was going to happen anyway. The network was reportedly unhappy, and JMS was said to be introducing a new character, thinking that having Sinclair go to Zaadum (sp?) in addition to fulfilling his main destiny was putting too much of the story onto one character.

True. One of the things that still impresses me about B5 is how JMS had a "trapdoor" written into the series for every character, allowing them to drop out of the story, if necessary, without compromising the arc.

It particularly came in handy with Talia Winters and Susan Ivanova.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
We were hooked to this when it was on. B5 was great, the characters were well thought out, the special effects were adequate (though looking back on how much computer graphics have grown since they are a tad wooden at times by todays standards 0 all of what, five years [Big Grin] ), the storylines wove loads of great plots together with a level of sohistication not seen before and introduced a believeable 'future' history.

I really liked Babylon 5, you might have guessed!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, quick question that I've always had:

Were there five Babylon space stations, hence the name? Was there a Babylon 4, Babylon 3, etc. out there somewhere?

(And every time I hear "B5," I think of Brainy! [Big Grin] )

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR Loflin
Stay Ace!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR Loflin   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Babylon #1-3 were destroyed during or just after the construction process. Babylon 4...watch the show, and all will be revealed! [Wink]

--------------------
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

From: Outpost Gallifrey | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good judgment, Pex. Stu, you really don't want to have the fate of B4 spoiled here.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JR Loflin
Stay Ace!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR Loflin   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I wouldn't dare spoil it for anyone who hadn't seen it...I only started watching the show since it started being released on DVD, and actually managed to do a running commentary/review of every episode at another message board I frequent. The veteran fans of B5 who post there were very good to me, answering questions as best they were able without revealing too much, all the while being very interested as to what I'd make of the show. If they had spoiled things for me, it really would have taken away from the experience... [Smile]

--------------------
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

From: Outpost Gallifrey | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.