Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » X-Box: To Die For? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: X-Box: To Die For?
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
And that is exactly the point at which you, as a responsible parent, decide whether or not to take your child past the area those bodies can be seen.

See, you have a responsibility as well. No one disputes that. In this day and age, it's refreshing to find someone that actually DOES acknowledge that they have responsibilities.

But to not have punishment shown in the open light is to stick it in the darkness, to hide behind prison walls where anything may happen. Things need to be shown, so that all know what has happened. What has taken place. Not hidden in the dark and made shameful. Its not shameful to demand an accounting, what is shameful is allowing murderers that brutally beat six people to death fifteen years of life IF they were to receive the death penalty, and have the people of that state pay for them.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Where exactly would you have these bodies on display at.

To have them in public areas means that there are places that I could not go with my child. I should not have to inconvenience myself to travel somewhere to avoid seeing a dead body.

Not to mention that I may just not want to see a dead body when I go out to eat with my wife...nothing to do with my daughter. Nice romantic stroll through the park...don't look over there though.

Of course I have a responsibility as a parent. I too wish more people accepted this when they decide to have children.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Shouldn't have to inconvience yourself?

There is a price to pay for freedom, and a price to pay for justice in society. Not wanting it because you might have to go a block or two out of the way to eat at your favorite chinese food restuarant? Now that is not a good arguement.

Thats like saying "well, i don't think we should track down those that don't pay their taxes. It only costs money in gas for them to do that."

No, everyone gets inconvienced at times to make society work. I have had to stand for jury duty before. Its not something most people want to do, but it is a price of Democracy.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Not the same thing at all. It's not solely about being inconvenienced.

I pay taxes, and expect the government to make sure everyone pays theirs as well. I think the police should do more about tracking down known criminals that have warrants for their arrest. I think Police have the right to give chase is a criminal speeds off when they attempt to pull them over.

This has nothing to do with our government doing their jobs, it has to do with not wanting to see criminal bodies hanging in the streets.

I would not be alone in not wanting my child to see these things. This would have a negative impact on businesses in the areas that the bodies are at. There's no getting around it.

Now, back to the question I asked you...where would you like to see the bodies at? The local mall...outside the courthouse...next to a church...across the street from a grade school?

Also...how long do we leave the corpses out there...are they exposed to the elements...what about public health issues...vandalism...

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Right outside the courthouse. I don't care if it is in the heart of the town, city, state, country, world.

And long enough for any and all that need to see it to see it. I'd say three weeks would be good.

Give the weather and the birds and the insect enough time to really do a good job on them.

But don't worry, it seems that more and more people don't want to be "inconvienced" like you. More and more aren't willing to even get up off their sorry asses and vote, much less do anything to contribute to society. More and more want everyone else to think for them, do for them, pay for them...basically, more and more want to be sheep led to the slaughter because they are not willing to actively engage themselves in the workings of society.

I had many people tell me that they hated clinton, but didn't vote. I have had many people tell me they hate Bush, but didn't vote. The simplest way to get your voice heard in america, and people don't want to be bothered, or inconvienced.

God we have become a sloven country.

Dev-em, this may not be you at all, other than not wanting your kids exposed to 'bodies', but it is all to true for more americans than not. And that is a fact. Less than half the eligible Americans vote in elections.

The rest of the world is killing itself trying to get to this country, for those basic liberties, for the best system of Justice in the world when applied correctly, and most of us here don't want to be inconvienced.

That is the true shame of america. Not that we would leave MURDERERS who used baseball bats to bludgeon innocent people to death hanging from the gallows.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Dev - Em
KIA

I agree that the punks that did this should be put to death.

I've voted in every election I have been able to since turning 18...I may not always know everything about the candidates,,,but I generally know enough to make a decision.

Personally...if it was just me...I wouldn't really care. I just tend to think of children more because I have one, and also work with kids at my church.

The one thing to take into account is that there are groupss out there that would stop it before it started. Not that I agree with the tactics of such groups...they're there.

I am however for public executions, if it was highly regulated to insure guilt (such in this case if they are fould guilty...Dahmer...Gacy, etc). It could be a way to compensate the families of the victims. Make it pay for view...

And for those out there that say "who would throw the switch...". I would, and sleep very well at night.

rickshaw1
Leader

Agreed.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I find some of the ideas presented in this thread to be quite scary (and I can't believe no one else has piped up to comment about them as well) so I'm going to drop out of this conversation now with these 2 final thoughts...

I completely disagree with nearly everything rickshaw1 has written here

and

I'm really glad I don't live in the same town as him in case some of his warped ideas ever come to pass.

[ August 15, 2004, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

And thats quite all right with me Blacula. That is what america is about...the right to believe different things.

It scares me that you want to live in a world where murderers will eventually be free to kill innocent people again just to salve your concience, that you don't want to have the burden of tough choices, that you want innocent people to bear the burden of over $300,000 a year to house one prisoner (from the last figures i saw).

That scares me a lot more than someone that has the fortitude to make the tough decisions in life, and not lay them off at the feet of others.

And I as well retire from this discussion. I think the salient points have been made.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I find some of the ideas presented in this thread to be quite scary (and I can't believe no one else has piped up to comment about them as well) so I'm going to drop out of this conversation now with these 2 final thoughts...

I completely disagree with nearly everything rickshaw1 has written here

and

I'm really glad I don't live in the same town as him in case some of his warped ideas ever come to pass.

Blacula, I'll pipe up since you asked. I agree with you. The reason I haven't said anything is because I find what has been written here to be truly scary as well. This talk of hanging bodies in public squares is barbaric at best. At first I just thought it was outrageousness for the sake of argument. However, when it continued with obvious sincerity, I became very troubled. I tried to ignore this thread, hoping it would just end and be forgotten about. I speak up now only to let you know, Blacula, that you are not the only one who feels this way.

[ August 15, 2004, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.