Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Return of the King opens on Wednesday! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Return of the King opens on Wednesday!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Enjoy your day today KP!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
So... how was it? Everything you expected, and more?

[BouncingBoy] [BouncingBoy] [BouncingBoy]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I want to avoid spoilers for the moment... as for the event, it was absolutely brilliant. The cineplex brought in free Subway and Pizza Hut for the breaks, and the biggest surprise was the incredible keepsake New Line Cinema and WETA Workshop gave each of us... it was a stone-finish vinyl sculpture, fitted with 3 unique frames of the trilogy, one for each of the movies. I got Frodo from the very beginning of Fellowship, Legolas as he looks over the cliff for Aragorn from Two Towers, and Gimli from I-don't-know-where in RotK (I'll have to see it again and find the shot.)

Okay, as far as Return of the King... it lasted 3 hrs and 20 min, right? I have been in 90 minute films that seemed incredibly longer than this film was. It FLEW.

For the first time in my life, I wish I had been able to see a movie with no foreknowledge of the story. I wish I had been able to respond seeing everything unfold "for the first time," as it were.

It's not a perfect film. It does end 6 times. The first 5 endings were awesome. OH HOW AWESOME. #6 was... tacked on. At least for me. Return of the King is hugely more dependent on CGI than either of the other 2. This has good effects and bad... most of the effects are incredible, a few of the shots look like they're airbrushed in.

I can't wait for the extended edition. There's much more to say, mainly good and one or two things bad, but I'm going to wait until several of you have had the chance to see it so as not to give away any spoilers.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Was it good KP was it!!!!!!

I want so much to see it today as it opens that I was seriously considering missing the office christmas party to go along.

Still i decided they already think I'm weird enough without giving them that.

These films as about as close to my imaginings of the book as I think modern cinema can get. I am re reading the book now and every time I hear Gandalf it is with Mckellans voice.

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Glad you had fun Jeff. And I first heard of the special gifts last night on CNN. Pretty damn cool if you ask me. Makes the price of admission so worth it.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Faraway, the more time I have to reflect on it, the more the sadness that it is, at last, finally over diminishes. I think that is the only bitterness in the whole thing for me. I loved it. And also, avoiding spoilers for now, I have decided that it was only one scene of CGI which irked me. The first such scene in 3 long movies... and it's only because the effects have been so wonderful thus far that it stuck out. I won't give away spoilers yet at this time, but I'll just say that it involved Legolas.

--------------------

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I have to share the latest Dork Towers with you guys, especially as it relates to the sadness fans are experiencing now that its over.

Here's the first strip:

-

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

-
Lightning Lad
Founder

-
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
It was just awesome. I have never been in a "midnight showing" before, and boy, was it ever fun. Screaming fans, people dressed up, the whole deal (except that we didn't get any presents! How come?). The movie is excellent, it really pulls the right strings, every single character just shines and you are happy to like them all. Problems? Yes, a few, but very few, not enough to distract.

I actually envy you, you can still look forward to go watch this for the first time. Enjoy!

Juan

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

I agree. I'm also actually envious of all of you who haven't yet seen it.

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by Juan:
It was just awesome. I have never been in a "midnight showing" before, and boy, was it ever fun. Screaming fans, people dressed up, the whole deal (except that we didn't get any presents! How come?). The movie is excellent, it really pulls the right strings, every single character just shines and you are happy to like them all. Problems? Yes, a few, but very few, not enough to distract.

I actually envy you, you can still look forward to go watch this for the first time. Enjoy!

Juan

Juan, did you attend the Trilogy Tuesday like Jeff did or just the midnight showing of Return of the King? The gift was for those who bought tickets for the Trilogy Tuesday showing.
Lightning Lad
Founder

-
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Juan:

Juan

Juan, did you attend the Trilogy Tuesday like Jeff did or just the midnight showing of Return of the King? The gift was for those who bought tickets for the Trilogy Tuesday showing.
Oh, I see. No, I just went to the Return of the King. I wish I had thought about going to the marathon, though, the idea just never crossed my mind. Oh, well.

Juan

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

$34 million on its opening day! WOW!

This busts the previous record for a Wednesday opening (held by the Phantom Menace.) To put it in perspective... does anyone remember the frenzy of that day? All the showings every hour on the hour? People standing in line for weeks? Well, Return of the King just kicked The Phantom Menace's butt!

Here's the link (another one of my very favorite sites)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.