Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Movies that make you go boo-hoo (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Movies that make you go boo-hoo
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by minesurfer:
The end of Saving Private Ryan where the old Pvt. Ryan is standing in front of the graves of the men who died tryin to "save" him, when he turns to his wife and says, "Tell me I'm a good man..."

Yes! I forgot about that movie. That scene gets me, but the one that made me almost bawl was the beginning -- that whole sequence from when the lady typing the letters realizes she's sending three to the same woman up to when the army car drives up to the house and the mom, silhouetted in the doorway (with the photo of the brothers next to the door) just collapses to the ground when a priest exits the car.

Oh, and also "Field of Dreams" when he sees his father.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Almost any film that pulls at emotions honestly, and earns what is demanded from the audience, makes me at least water at the corners of my eyes. I'm a veritable waterworks compared to most men. Tears of joy, outrage, empathy all come along.

The single most melancholy film I've seen, though, in the sense of pulling this from me when I don't want it to do so (not for its being unearned), is Francis Ford Coppola's "Peggy Sue Got Married." I don't know why I feel that way. It's superbly acted and written, especially by Kathleen Turner. Perhaps ... too many thoughts of one's might-have-beens.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
i've just remembered one .... does anyone recall a film called 'DAY of the DOLPHIN' ??

these scientists teach Dolphins to 'talk' but then they come into the control of some NAVY people ?? who want them to 'plant' bombs on ships ??

[ i'm sure thats the plot ??? ]

anyway at the end, the scientists tell them to swim off, and the dolphins, are saying 'bye' and the 'love' them !!!

okay !!! it sounds really BAD !!! but it did make me cry .....

Matthew.

Matthew! You may be the only other human being I've come across that even remembers that movie at all. I saw it as a little kid, it's the first movie I have any memory of seeing in the theater. Unlike you though the only thing I remember is a boat blowing up, which I have to say I thought was pretty cool at the time.

I've never seen it since so I guess there may have been deeper levels to it than things getting blowed up good!

Matt

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by matlock:
quote:
Originally posted by the boy with UltraPowers:
i've just remembered one .... does anyone recall a film called 'DAY of the DOLPHIN' ??

these scientists teach Dolphins to 'talk' but then they come into the control of some NAVY people ?? who want them to 'plant' bombs on ships ??

[ i'm sure thats the plot ??? ]

anyway at the end, the scientists tell them to swim off, and the dolphins, are saying 'bye' and the 'love' them !!!

okay !!! it sounds really BAD !!! but it did make me cry .....

Matthew.

Matthew! You may be the only other human being I've come across that even remembers that movie at all. I saw it as a little kid, it's the first movie I have any memory of seeing in the theater. Unlike you though the only thing I remember is a boat blowing up, which I have to say I thought was pretty cool at the time.

I've never seen it since so I guess there may have been deeper levels to it than things getting blowed up good!

Matt

Hey Matt !!!

i seen this film twice, and they were both many years ago .... i seem to remember the male dolphin was called 'Far' ??? because when their own tells them to swim off, 'Far' keeps turning back to say "Far loves Pa" ......

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I always get a bit choked up by the scene in Toy Story 2 when Jessie the cowgirl doll is singing about being abandoned as the little girl she belongs to grows up and gets tired of playing with toys...
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Ok, I just watched "Ransom" and I always tear up during the scene where Mel and Rene are in agony because they think their kid has just been killed -- I'm realizing that a lot of the films I picked have to do with parents / children ... I definitely have issues....
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Christopher Reeve's Time after Time does it to me every time.

And My Dog Skip with a young Frankie Muniz from Malcolm in the Middle. God animals can be so loyal it hurts.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Scott! You just reminded me of the last scene in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" when she kicks "Cat" out of the cab & into the rain, then has a change of heart & goes looking for him in the alley, where she finds him all wet & scared!!

*bawl*
lil'rhino

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by lil'rhino:
Dancer in the Dark starring Bjork.

I just saw that movie recently! I knew it'd be depressing, but HO-ley Moley, what a gut-wrenching, slit-my-own-throat depressing movie! There were several parts of that last scene that got me going -- man, that was sad...
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I saw Dancer in the Dark without my wife, and because it made such a wreck of me, she didn't want to see it.

Ordinary People had my eyes dripping, when I recently got stuck watching it on Bravo.

I agree with Drake (which I do a lot here at LW) about movies that include drama with kids. That always gets me.

I think because things are cruising along so nicely with my own family in my real life, I get a lot of release by watching emotional movies. I cry very easily. I'm looking forward to seeing Mystic River, yet I'm also cautious because I know I'll probably cry till my head hurts. I haven't seen Monster yet, either.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

JR Loflin
Stay Ace!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR Loflin   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
There are many that qualify, but for now, I can't get 50 First Dates out of my head! In particular:

Lucy looking at pictures of herself from the accident.

Lucy asking how many times she had seen the videotape ("This is the first time.") Also, the videotape itself and her reactions to it.

Lucy singing "Wouldn't It Be Nice?" and painting the walls with flowers.

Most of all, the ending...I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but God, it was both very uplifting and incredibly depressing!!!

Before this movie, I was indifferent to Drew Barrymore, but I think she is an incredible actress to pull my heartstrings so strongly...

--------------------
"Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

From: Outpost Gallifrey | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Pex the Unalive:
Before this movie, I was indifferent to Drew Barrymore, but I think she is an incredible actress to pull my heartstrings so strongly...

She's tugged at my heartstrings twice before -- during "Never Been Kissed" when she find out she's the victim of a cruel joke and gets egged by her dream prom date and also in "Ever After" when she tries to defend her dead mother's dress. I think she has a very relatable quality onscreen and is able to be vulnerable, garnering empathy from the audience.
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
There are only two films in the recent past that have had me blubbing like a big girlie.

The Green Mile was one of them, even though I'd read the book and I knew what was going to happen.

And I can't remember what the other one was - I'll let you know if I recall.

--------------------
Hic!

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Not many films make me cry simply because for the most part if they try to hard it just comes across as schmaltzy and twee to me (and being twee is one of the biggest sins in the world in my book). The ones that do make me cry often take me by surprise though.

I have to admit that i blubbed like a little girl when we went to see 'Moulin Rouge' and watching it again on DVd the other week I went all weepy again. I know, I know. I'm a sucker for musicals. Every time we go and see 'Blood Brothers' on stage I cry and cry even though i know exactly what's going to happen.

'Bus Stop' doesn't really make me cry but I do think it's horribly sad. Same with 'The Misfits'. Marilyn was a much under-rated actress I think (even by herself) but her performances in both films are just incredible. In 'The Misfits' you can tell much of the time she's drugged up to the eyeballs but that still doesn't stop her performance from being incredibly emotional. No-one ever did, or has since, that 'little girl lost' thing as well as she did. Maybe it's because she really was like that. The scene where she realises they kill the horses and she looses it makes me well up, both with sadness and anger.

And then there's the biggie... OK, this might sound silly but it's true. One of my favourite films ever. Fantastically funny, incredibly witty, hugely uplifting but also heartbreakingly sad. Yup, I'm talking about 'Lilo & Stitch'. When I went to see it at the cinema I was expecting a good film since everyone said it was but I wasn't expecting to get the emotional kick from it that I did. The whole sequence right from when David tells Stitch to stay away after Cobra tells Nani that he's taking Lilo away gets me big time (hell, I have a lump in my throat just thinking about it). But then when Stitch leaves and Lilo says he can always come back, and the bit where he's alone in the forest ("lost" *sniff*) and then when Jumba is taunting him about not having a family just makes me cry every single bloody time. *That's* how to do emotion in a film. *That's* how to tug at the heart-strings without making it twee or icky. For an animation to do that especially is incredible.

Of course, then it all gets happy again with the big chase ("also cute and fluffy!") and the bit where Stitch is being taken away and explains about his new family ("it's small, and borken, but still good") is the kind of sad but makes you happy at the same time moment that is so hard to do.

Ahh, I could rant on about how good Lilo & Stitch is for hours...

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Bevis:
Ahh, I could rant on about how good Lilo & Stitch is for hours...

L&S is great. And there's supposed to be a deluxe DVD set coming out sometime too.

Have you seen the made-for-TV series (which has pretty awful animation, IMO) or the direct-to-video prequel, "Stitch! The Movie"?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.