Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 18)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
i thought INTERVIEW, LESTAT, AND QUEEN were the best books by far, an excellent read. I also enjoyed Witching Hour, though i found it a bit dragged out and a tad disturbing. What is it with Anne Rice and making at least some character either gay or a straight guy having a gay enounter, never understood the purpose behind these revelations.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
[Big Grin] Scott says I just have to post this.... One of the biggest pieces of my history, which eventually lead to my meeting Scott as well, was when I was a total Goth chick, completely submerged in the vampire culture except for the hours I put on my Sheriff's uniform and worked my night shifts at the jail (quite a culture divergence, I know) Anyway, I got in so deep that I made in-roads with the New Orleans crowd, via the Los Angeles, Chicago and New York crowds first. In this life-altering period of about five years, I learned quite a lot about things other people only dream about. I also, fortunately, lived to move on and out of that phase of my life. Basically, everything in the 'game' of Vampire the Masquerade draws on reality. Yes Virginia, there are vampires !!

But, anyway, part of my experiences included spending three weeks in New Orleans in 1991, the last two weeks of October and first week of November. Through my writing for various independent vamp publishing outlets which ran from xeroxed pages stapled together and mailed out, to slick magazine and soft-cover book styles, I met some of Anne Rice's 'inner circle.' Long story short, it was my honor and deeply spiritually challenging priviledge to meet and spend time with Anne in her home and office and to get to know her. As it turns out, at that time, my good friend Muriel was one of Anne's cadre of Lesbian lovers. I believe that Anne is brilliant, but unfortunately, I also believe that years of drinking and popping pills in her younger years have taken their toll on Anne's mind and I think she's snapped. Whatever connection she had to the spirit realm, and I believe she had one, vanished and left her scrambling to keep cranking out books for the money. True fans, one's who 'get' Anne, can tell when the muse left her [Frown] But what a wonderful ride it was while it lasted. Her characters, especially Lestat and the vampires, will live on in our imaginations forever. The Chronicles are mostly genius. Her descriptions absolutely delicious, even if they were so rich they made you ill as you pondered them.

I am glad I broke free of her world, or else I never would have met and loved Scott. But I am so thankful I got a glimpse into it for a short and magickal time.

From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
her books have certainly been disappointing, and not just lately either. I couldnt even get through VIOLIN
SERVANT OF THE BONES was barely readable
BLACKWOOD FARM and its follow up BLOOD CANTACLE gave me good reason to say i could live without another vampire chronicles book. I just really enjoy the other vampires so much more and i wish i could get better stories with them.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I would agree that the first three books are must-reads if you're into horror/fantasy/vampires. Interview is, by far, the greatest artistic achievement of the three (but my favorite is Lestat).

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I am glad to have read your guys' thoughts on the vampire chronicles (non-Mormon Saturn Girl, your post was especially fascinating). Now I am looking forward to reading Interview with the Vampire for the book club. Thanks, guys!

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bubble Wrap Boy
Perpetually Horny Crimefighter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bubble Wrap Boy   Email Bubble Wrap Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm... Having read most of her works, I'd have to say that the true impact of Interview isn't really felt until after you've read Lestat, then you see both sides of the same coin and can feel the texture of the characters and the events.
From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finsihed reading Little Children by Tom Perrota. Loved it. Read it in one night.

On to A Curious Incident in the Dog of Night.

Still have not gotten the muster to start reading Johnthon Strange again...

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
I must confess that I got about two thirds through INTERVIEW and threw it away in disgust. What a load of girlie nonsense. No sex and not nearly enough violence. Too flowery by far.

Just finished Excalibur, again, the third and last of Bernard Cornwells Arthurian books (the best series of books I've ever read).

Now I have the seventh Thomas Covenant book (not including the pamphlet) to look forward to.

Am also reading a book called Eats, Shites and Leaves, a book about crap English and how to use it. Vaguelly humorous.

And sitting waiting to be picked up is a book entitled How To Support A Crap Football Team. Do you think my wife's trying to tell me something?

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Two going right now:

My Century, by Gunter Grass. He writes a 3-4 page story or vignette for each year of the 20th century. It might have more resonance if you know contemporary German history outside of the Nazi years - but each entry is a gem, and you get a real sense for each era. What a writer!

The other is Moneyball, by Michael Lewis (of Liar's Poker fame) about baseball - specifically, Billy Beane and the Oakland A's. Lewis explores how Beane used statistics to choose the optimal players for the team, for the least money. He was entirely at odds with traditional scouting methods - and his approach paid off. It sounds dry, but it's funny, captivating and reads like an adventure story. I could care less about baseball, but this is a fascinating read. I love it when contrarians succeed.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Two going right now:

My Century, by Gunter Grass. He writes a 3-4 page story or vignette for each year of the 20th century. It might have more resonance if you know contemporary German history outside of the Nazi years - but each entry is a gem, and you get a real sense for each era. What a writer!

This sounds fascinating! I'm especially interested in the early 20th Century before the rise of the Nazis. (I wrote my undergraduate thesis on "Gender Roles in Nazi Germany") I might have to check this out..
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie you can read? [Smile]

Just got a new book Collapse: Why Civilizations Succed or Fail

Interesting book. This guys examines certain civilizations - like Easter Island, Mayan - in a 5 point framework from a very unibased point of view. He dosen't condem and he dosen't judge. He just presents the facts and extrapolates what could have lead them to fail or succeded.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by RTVU2:
Cobie you can read? [Smile]

Just got a new book Collapse: Why Civilizations Succed or Fail

Interesting book. This guys examines certain civilizations - like Easter Island, Mayan - in a 5 point framework from a very unibased point of view. He dosen't condem and he dosen't judge. He just presents the facts and extrapolates what could have lead them to fail or succeded.

Don't let my over-sexed, alcohol induced, spelling mistake making self fool you, Vu! I'm a certified grad student with a passion for the classics, 19th Century Russian romance literature and a whole host of other stuff [Smile]

I only wish I had the chance to squeeze more books in when I can between school reading and all the DC/Marvel comics I buy!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

19th Century Russian Romance? I perfer the more friendly 17th century myself [Smile]

Your just one big alt id aren't you [Smile]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Lermontov's Pechorin has influenced my love life for half a decade!

And that is probably a bad thing [Big Grin]

minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
I read some of the Anne Rice "Vampire" novels a long time ago. Don't remember much about them... I think I read Lestat first. This must have meant it was good because I would have never touched "Interview" or "Queen" if it wasn't. I don't remember "Interview" at all. "Queen" bored me. I stopped reading it around page 50 and never picked it back up.

As for recent readings... The Star Wars: Dark Rendezvous book is a darn good book. One of the best from the Galaxy Far Far Away. It's a bit of a prelude to the prelude of the upcoming movie. It is a very good take on Yoda, Dooku, Padawans and the nature of the Force. Excellent Star Wars story. Can't say enough good things about it.

I read Cloak of Deception (the prelude to Episode One) recently too. I couldn't find too much wrong with the "story", but be prepared for an awful lot of political wrangling (almost thought I was watching CSPAN a couple times while reading it). Definitely needed all of my patience to get through it.

Jedi Trial and Cestus Deception (two recent Star Wars releases) were both pretty entertaining reads. Very fast paced they were. 'Trial' was more militaristic than any other SW book I've read (and I've read just about everything except the New Jedi Order books and they're next). Being an old military dog myself... It appealled to me. Cestus Deception was just good.

As for what I'm reading now... The Han Solo Adventures is on my mantle. Pretty good so far but I'm only 60 pages into the first story. Since I've already read the Han Solo Trilogy.. I'm expecting the Han Solo Adventures to be quality entertainment.

Can't wait to get my hands on Labyrinth of Evil tomorrow... the prequel to episode III. Should be good stuff.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.