Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
mechana
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mechana           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm re-reading, for about the 5th time, "Winter's Tale" by Mark Helprin. I first read it when I was about 14, and it raised my expectations for every book I ever read afterward. The story is charming, the imagery is amazing, every sentence is a little poem. (in case you haven't guessed, I'm a huge fan) This is my favorite book of all time (so far).

I also recommend anything by Robertson Davies and John Irving. I like my books quirky I guess.

From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Though I though Cedar Housr Rules was a great movie, the book was so much more and so differnet too. Tough I can't seem to get into any of his outher novels though.
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
"Winter's Tale" sounds familiar, but I can't place it. Jog my memory?

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I've gotten a little past half way in "A Breif Hisotry of Time" and I've followed the argument up to that point. Then Hawking takes this quantum leap in logic (pun intended) and I'm lost. I might as well be reading Sanskrit scrolls at that point for all I understand. I keep meaning to go back to it.

"Catcher in the Rye" is a must-read classic.

knowjack recommends "Vernon God Little". His post was in this thread within the last couple of days.

I tried reading Hawking’s book a few years ago and I had the same feeling—it was in a different language. Maybe I’ll take a look at it again and then again in a few more years, and eventually get the gist [Smile] .

I’m one of those people who never really got into Catcher in the Rye either. My English teacher once said that it was one of those books people either loved or hated. I know tons of people who enjoy that book a lot. A book that probably is as widely read that I do like though, is “The Outsiders”, one of the best book I ever read in my teens that really meant something to me.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I discussed Catcher in the Rye with my mother-in-law (who is very well read) and I told her my low opinion of it. She said I was of the wrong generation to get it. She said if I were 10 years older and had experienced the '60s, it would likely have struck home.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
"The Streeter" by Scott Ian Barry.

A pack of stray dogs, contaminated by a government chemical dump, become deranged, and stalk human prey.

It's quite good - and I'm not usually the thriller type.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
sounds interesting kent, i'll look for it @ the bookstore tommorrow when i go
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not sure that anyone who didn't grow up in an age of conformity would "get" Catcher.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I must read Catcher again. I read it in the 60's when I was in high school. (So I guess I fall into the group that "gets it.") Salinger's 9 Stories have also long been a favorite of mine (and usually I don't like short stories.)
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Love John Irving, even though his most recent work has not been up to par... Cider House Rules and A Prayer for Owen Meany are my favorites. I love Garp and Hotel New Hampshire as well, but I saw them as movies before I read the books, and it's hard to separate them.

I recently began reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel, but joined a start-up book club with (and at the behest of) my S.O. and now must read Interview with a Vampire in the next coupla weeks. I'm not terribly thrilled at the prospect of that, but I've never read anything by Anne Rice, so there is always the chance I will be surprised.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
John Irving is very talented. "The Cider House..." rules! [Wink]
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I got sooooo into the Vampire Chronicles when I read them in high school! I couldn't put them down! I think I read 'Interview with the Vampire', 'The Vampire Lestat' and 'Queen of the Damned' all in about a month! And I'm not someone who's normally into the whole vampire mythology thing.

If you kinda like 'Interview with the Vampire' Rokk Steady then make sure you read 'The Vampire Lestat'! Its the best one in the bunch and offers some radically different interpretations of key events in the first book. I swear - all my perceptions of the characters changed when I saw the same story told through a new person's set of eyes.

P.S. Thanks for all the 'Catcher in the Rye' talk people. You've peaked my interest enough to want to read it and form my own opinion now!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Psychout
Your mind is my playground

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Psychout   Email Kid Psychout         Edit/Delete Post     
Mechana: Winter's tale is a favourite book of mine. copy stolen a while back and been trying to find a new copy ever since.
AFOBoy: it's set in New York, and it's kind of a love story, but it's just one of those beautiful, magical stories that defy description. giving a plot outline doesn't really do it justice.

as for current books myself, haven't been able to get new books at the moment so been rereading all Terry Pratchett's discworld books.

From: Melbourne, Auz. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Got Winter's Tale from the library yesterday - the reviews at amazon made it sound very enchanting. Also bought a new Ian Rankin, Fleshmarket Close; he's one of my favourite mystery writers.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still plodding along in "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell." I'm at about page 550 and the man with thistle down hair is beginning to piss me off.
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.