Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » THE WALKING DEAD tv show (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  50  51  52   
Author Topic: THE WALKING DEAD tv show
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
FINALE SPOILERS OUT THE YING-YANG, written during commercial breaks!

Wow... I like how this episode so far has been NOTHING like what I was expecting. Nice job at red-herring-ing those scenes for next week last week! [Smile]

I was all ready to get all in-your-facey about my boy Shane and his good intentions, until his drunken grope-a-thon with Lori. But at least he backed down. I still like him.

Well then. Vi just clinched it. Our gang shan't be staying at the CDC for long, huh? That's good, actually. Hooray, countdown clock!

Hmm. Methinks mayhap it be time for Rick to pull out that grenade he's been carrying.

And there it is.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Andrea!!!!!

Whew... that was a relief. Dale's little sit-in ploy with Andrea was SO TWD: the comic.

*choke!!* Jacqui's fate... I can't lie, I had to fight back tears when she and Dr. Jenner grasped hands and looked at each other.

Oh my Lordy... the wait until next October? that is going to go SO far beyond sucking that it will become a black hole. [Frown]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed the season finale, its going to be a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng wait til next Halloween.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So whaddaya thing doc whispered to Rick? Best guess: Click Here For A Spoilerthat ALL who become deceased, regardless of cause, will return as walkers. This is a truth from the comic, though Rick and the gang had to find this out the hard way. If Rick knows this now, it would render a certain scene from the book (in which Rick returns to take care of some unfinished business) pointless.

Overall, I enjoyed the episode a lot, even though it was off-book. Good character moments, especially with signs that Shane's becoming unhinged. The Dale/Andrea scene was a bit cliched but an effective building block in their relationship that brings things closer to where they go in the book.

AWESOME (if too short) Season 1, AMC & Company! Let's do it again next year!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
My first thought regarding the whisper was that Lori was pregnant (revealed via the blood tests earlier).

Poor Jacqui... we barely knew you. Literally. Suddenly the black chick that I had very little emotional investment in and whose backstory is still pretty much unknown decides to stay and die? Okay... And then Dale makes a big deal about convincing Andrea to go with them, but apparently everybody's okay with Jacqui dying?

Other than that the episode pretty much rocked.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^Good alternative theory, Edie! Are you familiar with the comic book, Edie? Your theory about the whisper makes me wonder, plus you've never mentioned if you have or not.

I think the difference between Jacqui and Andrea was that Dale was very emotionally attached to her. Though there seemed to be some connection between Jacqui and T (not sure whether they knew each other or were related, or were we too accept their mutual blackness as their bond? [shrug] ), we had some good signs of bonding between Andrea and Dale in this and the previous episode. Honestly, other than Dale, it looked like ALL the others were more concerned with surviving than saving the others.

Given what they learned and what they face out in the wilderness, it seemed pretty plausible that some would choose that option.

Good to see the grenade return in a timely fashion! I'd totally forgotten about it from the first coupla episodes. Well played and well set up!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:
Are you familiar with the comic book, Edie?

Nope. Not at all.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
POSSIBLE COMIC BOOK SPOILER BASED ON EDE'S POST

Now that EDE's said it, I feel stupid for not thinking that's what the whisper to Rick was.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

If that's what he whispered, it would be interesting if he included how far along she was. If she was, like, a month preggers, Rick would know it wasn't his.

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:
Are you familiar with the comic book, Edie?

Nope. Not at all.
Ouch! I'm sorry about any spoilers you might've encountered here and there on this thread.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree the grenade's usage was awesomely done considering it very subtly had been a part of the first 6 episodes and we actually saw it make it's way to Carol. That was really well done.

Loved the finale. I love that's it is not mirroring the comic but following the same basic timeline and canon for the most part.

The actor playing Shane is really doing a great job making me re-think his character. His really tough scene with Lori furthered this and added some more complications (including his growing animosity with Rick).

I wonder if Season #2 will ultimately end where the first TPB of the TWD ends? AMC series only have 12 episodies per season max, so that isn't too out of the question. Either way, hoping to see Tyrese show up.

Glad Eryk is enjoying the TWD for the first time via the show!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
This was a really masterfully done finale! Almost nothing about the CDC went as expected, from my point of view, which made it suspenseful and enjoyable. (I haven't read the comics, BTW.)

In case you thought the "Jenner" name sounded familiar -- EdWARD Jenner studied smallpox and discovered that immunizing humans with cowpox virus protected them from the smallpox virus (of course, at the time, he had no idea what a virus actually was). So, EdWARD Jenner presided over the beginning of modern medicine, and all its successes. EdWIN Jenner presides over it's end.

A mediocre CDC worker, holding a vigil for his dead wife, the true genius who might have saved humanity, going through the motions of the heroic scientist, doomed to run out of time, because modern medicine, like all modern life, depends on electricity, which no one generates anymore. And at the end, the knowledge and the risk associated with 200 years of medical advancement is incinerated. The world we know is well and truly over, and probably not recoverable. And you have to make a choice, do you try and survive, start completely over, or do you decide you've had enough?

And all of that plays out powerfully. I'm left exhausted by the extremity and desperation of these few survivors. Driving away from the mushroom cloud of the last bastion of modernity.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Not a bad finale. A few random thoughts:

>Doc told Rick either what EDE said or that he saw something on a monitor about what happened with Shane.

>Jacqui. So the lady was only there to tell them that there were sewer access in old Atlanta buildings? Nobody thought enough to try to change her mind? Not even T-Dog, whom she apparently shared some bond with?

>Nice to see the grenade in the nick of time. Convenient, but I can accept that.

>Explosion of that size should have tipped the RV over a few times...

>I really liked the opening moments of what was happening at the hospital...showed why Shane thought he was gone. Of course they balanced that out with his actions later.

>Dale and Andrea have developed a great bond.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29742

6 million for the finale!!!!!!

...and we gotta wait like 10 months for season 2...argh!

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm surprised by all the positive comments about this finale. I thought it was awful. Really, really awful. Easily the worst episode of the show to date. And one of the worst-written hours of TV I've watched in a long time.

I'll try to think of some nice things to say about it first -

* I liked the beginning with the back-story to Shane leaving Rick in the hospital. Was exciting and also some good character-building for Shane. He's a great 'conflicted' character and this show is doing a much better job with him than the comic did (and I liked him in the comic).

* Great song at the end.

... um that's about all that was good about this episode.

Now for all the crap -

... (I started to write long reasons about what I hated about this episode but it bored me to think about it again so here's some quick bullet points.)

* Jenner - everything to do with him was badly written and badly acted.
* That whole 'trapped in the CDC' sub-plot - completely contrived (it was as if the writers were like 'Quick - we've got to throw some ridiculous obstacle into the way of our heroes to pad out this episode') and completely unexciting or compelling - did anyone have any doubt that they were going to get out?
* Jacquie just turns around and decides to commit suicide out of nowhere? Oookaaay [Roll Eyes]
* Pacing - our heroes go into that CDC room at the 20 minute mark of the episode and then spend the entire rest of the 45 minute episode in there talking until they escape at the end! Talk about boring. I was literally having to stop myself from fast-forwarding through some of Jenner's stupid 'I'm going to conveniently go temporarily crazy to delay you for a bit' speeches.
* The whole ridiculous convenience of them noticing the countdown clock when there's only an hour left to go on it. Good thing they didn't notice it the night before or else the writers would have been really screwed.

This whole episode just seemed like amateur-hour hokum to me. And I hate to bring up the Lost comparison (but I will anyway) - but that show KNEW how to deliver a KILLER season finale! Every one of them was amazing. I really hope next season's writers get this show back on track because I hated this episode so much it was almost a jump-the-shark moment for me.

Such a shame too because I'd been enjoying this version of The Walking Dead so much until now.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I think EDE has it right with the whipered scene.
My wife feels its the other possibility.
I liked the episode overall. desipte the lack of you know who doing youknow what to you know who, I still feel this may happen early next season.
Next season, I think they will hit some major point form the comic (along with some side-trips) like Wiltshire, hershel's farm and the the prison.
Next season should end with some sort of cliffhanger, odds are some prison/wordbury stand off

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't hate it as much as Blacula, but it did try my patience. My wife was pleased when Jacquie and Andrea decided to stay ("Good", she said, "The two worst actresses will be out at least"). I knew they wouldn't off Andrea though, no matter how far off the source material they were.

I thought Jenner was an interesting character but ultimately wasted and his breakdown was telegraphed and entirely plot driven.

This show really needs to decide what it wants to be, because the potential is so great, but I feel this season squandered a lot of that.

If it's to be a character piece, give us meatier characters (a longer series may allow for more focus). If there's going to be larger themes give us some structure to start making a better layered narrative. If it's going to be a straight horror show, then amp it up a bit. Right now it's just a hodgepodge that's servicing the plot instead of the plot servicing a larger goal. I don't hate it, but I really want more.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 52 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  50  51  52   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.