Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Clive:
BB, hope you caught my own review of "Across the Universe" last page. I've watched it twice in the last week. Excellent, excellent movie for Beatles fans!

Actually, the "search function" [Big Grin] did miss it, nice review.

Nerdy Legion connection: the recruitor ("flat feet") played Dr. Morlo in the Legion cartoon. (saw that on imdb)

Prudence's story was very subtle but I didn't see it as her struggling with her identity as much as others struggling to recognize it. A telling thing but I thought, consistent with the times, her opening scene. I'm pretty sure it was designed to be easy to miss, as the cheerleader singing "I want to hold your hand." Her feelings were clear to her but easy for the audience to miss. These denials I thought well and intentionally mimicked by Max' character ("I think she's hung-up on me").

After reading your thoughts, her opening appearance in NY and her comment in the club about Max and Jude, I can see your point. They were showing the character struggle between trying to fit the mold or being herself. At least the character got closure.

I thought it well played myself, expressing the denial that was prevalent. No clubbing over the head, well in line with the movie's approach to the war, black America, the radicals, the open living lifestyle...

Another story that was easy to miss was Jo-Jo's. His comments about music being the only thing that made sense were easy to forget by the time the story got around to explaining the cause for the comments.

I think these are two examples of why I can easily see myself watching this movie again and again, to catch more details.

Now if Taymor were to follow-up with a story about the after-affects of the 60's, whose music would she choose?

Of the "discoveries," I think Joe Anderson has the best shot at making it in the business. His pre-NY Max particularly I think would have made him a lot of fans.

[ March 09, 2008, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Now if Taymor were to follow-up with a story about the after-affects of the 60's, whose music would she choose?

Black Sabbath.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Let me know what you think about Marnie. Marnie is good, I'd even say 'very good', but it's probably not in my top three Hitchcock movies (close to fantastic, but not quite deserving of that designation). Rope blew me away too by how much I enjoyed it, since I honestly never gave watching it a second thought until they started playing it on AMC last summer. What I do like about Marnie is that Tippi Hedron is in it, and I really like when Hitchcock uses her.

I just watched it. Up until about the last fifteen minutes I didn't think it was all that great... but those last fifteen minutes... wow! Really powerful stuff! Much of the rest of the movie seemed kind of tedious and moving in a lot of different directions, but all that set-up really comes together at the end! And, yeah, Tippi Hedron's performance is pretty awesome!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalla Hrykos
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalla Hrykos   Email Kalla Hrykos         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Prudence's story was very subtle but I didn't see it as her struggling with her identity as much as others struggling to recognize it. A telling thing but I thought, consistent with the times, her opening scene. I'm pretty sure it was designed to be easy to miss, as the cheerleader singing "I want to hold your hand." Her feelings were clear to her but easy for the audience to miss. These denials I thought well and intentionally mimicked by Max' character ("I think she's hung-up on me").

After reading your thoughts, her opening appearance in NY and her comment in the club about Max and Jude, I can see your point. They were showing the character struggle between trying to fit the mold or being herself. At least the character got closure.

I thought it well played myself, expressing the denial that was prevalent. No clubbing over the head, well in line with the movie's approach to the war, black America, the radicals, the open living lifestyle...

Having viewed the movie a second time Friday night, I can see your point. If you watch the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" sequence closely, it's a lot more obvious she's singing about the cheerleader, not the football player (or possibly both--summaries I've read of the film describe Prudence as 'bisexual').

I think in a way what I most lament about her is the relatively smaller amount of screen and vocal time she gets. T.V. Carpio is absolutely beautiful, and her voice is one of the best in the cast, much better than Sadie's (who gets lots and lots to sing) in my opinion.

quote:
Another story that was easy to miss was Jo-Jo's. His comments about music being the only thing that made sense were easy to forget by the time the story got around to explaining the cause for the comments.

Loved JoJo as well, BB, and his awesome soulful voice. I'm not sure what you meant about not understanding his comment until later, though. Seemed pretty understandable from when we first meet him at his little brother's funeral.

quote:
I think these are two examples of why I can easily see myself watching this movie again and again, to catch more details.
Having just watched it the second time, I can say I was no less enthralled than I was the first!

quote:
Of the "discoveries," I think Joe Anderson has the best shot at making it in the business. His pre-NY Max particularly I think would have made him a lot of fans.
He struck me as looking like a young Denis Leary! And he is very charismatic and promising. I've heard tell he's being considered for the title role in a Kurt Cobain biopic. He could easily pull that off, I think--possibly win an Oscar for it.

Jim Sturgess (Jude) is already on the rise. This month he stars in 21 opposite Kevin Spacey! Now that's moving up to the big leagues!

Overall, I just feel that Across the Universe captured artfully just about everything I love about the Beatles! Rent it now, people!!!

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalla Hrykos
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalla Hrykos   Email Kalla Hrykos         Edit/Delete Post     
Also, re: Prudence--I love the choreography in "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" as she walks thru the football practice! I love that stuff and how it emphasizes her singlemindedness and how she isn't minding her surroundings.

Loved Max's singing and the surrealness during "Happiness Is a Warm Gun"! That's always been one of my very favorites among the 'lesser' Beatles tracks, and I love how it and such other underdogs as "I Want You/She's So Heavy" and "Because" are included in the film, complete with some of the most inventive imagery!

Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
On TV, caught parts of Beatlejuice last week and it's not aging well at all. Also caught The Mask which is holding up wonderfully.

On DVD it was an Ab Fab weekend:

"I started repressed false memory therapy. I'll get something on you yet."

"Who dies in their own vomit these days?"

"How long is it going to take that old woman to score a tab of aspirin? I could score acid quicker."

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
I'm interested in what you think about Strangers on a Train!

Watched it tonight and it's pretty awesome! Definitely one of Hitch's most memorable villains! I can see some similarity with Rope, in that you've got the same kind of amoral sociopath who see murder kind of as part of experiencing life to the fullest.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the action sequence at the end, but the movie as a whole was really good. I loved seeing Pat Hitchcock (his daughter) in it, as well. She's really underrated as a character actress, and I wish she was in more stuff.

Cool! Now I have a movie to look for! I'm really looking forward to what you describe as one of Hitch's best villains. The entire premise for the movie just seems so cool!

quote:
quote:
Let me know what you think about Marnie. Marnie is good, I'd even say 'very good', but it's probably not in my top three Hitchcock movies (close to fantastic, but not quite deserving of that designation). Rope blew me away too by how much I enjoyed it, since I honestly never gave watching it a second thought until they started playing it on AMC last summer. What I do like about Marnie is that Tippi Hedron is in it, and I really like when Hitchcock uses her.

I just watched it. Up until about the last fifteen minutes I didn't think it was all that great... but those last fifteen minutes... wow! Really powerful stuff! Much of the rest of the movie seemed kind of tedious and moving in a lot of different directions, but all that set-up really comes together at the end! And, yeah, Tippi Hedron's performance is pretty awesome!
Yeah, the end is really one of those great endings we sometimes get in Hitch's movies. Its also neat to see a young Sean Connery *not* in the James Bond role, even if there are some similarities here.

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
I'm also a Hitchcok fan. My wife is a big fan as well. Isn't there a CD collection with some of his best work? I need to get that.

Cobie, when the Right Stuff come out? I remember seeing it but I was quite young methinks.

I believe the Right Stuff came out in the early 80's, so I might have even been a baby when it did. I remember my father liking it growing up, so when it was on the other day, I checked it out. Its actually quite good. There's some real good commentary on bravery and being in control of one's destiny. My favorite scenes are all the Chuck Yeager sequences, which Sam Sheperd really just nails. He provides this great image of the American hero of yesteryear.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: Across the Universe.

Something inside of me is wired to hate musicals. I love theater, plays, classical music concerts, hell dinner theater is fun! Musicals?! It just hurts me in ways I can't explain. People singing lines? Ouch.

I got accussed by a woman once of not being a fan of "the Arts". I have a BA in Fine Arts! Musicals hurt me. [Smile]

EDIT: I actually do like operas. Go figure.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I tend to like musicals on stage, but not generally on film. I'm not sure if that makes any sense at all.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Most movie musicals seem to just throw the music in there and it doesn't have a place in the dialogue. Taymor did an amazing job in sculpting the plot and the song choice to make sure the lyrics were natural dialogue IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by Clive:

quote:

Loved JoJo as well, BB, and his awesome soulful voice. I'm not sure what you meant about not understanding his comment until later, though. Seemed pretty understandable from when we first meet him at his little brother's funeral.

I missed THAT completely!

I was wondering about that bus station. Seemed out of place to me. Now I see, it was in De'troit.

I thought his comment was referring to his time in Vietnam.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalla Hrykos
Active

Guys, I'm not a fan of musicals, or of movie musicals, but I love me some Beatles...and I loved me some Across the Universe!!

So if YOU love you some Beatles--even if you don't love you some musicals--give it a try, already!

That goes for you, too, Mr. Cobalt Kid!

Kalla Hrykos
Active

quote:
I missed THAT completely!

I was wondering about that bus station. Seemed out of place to me. Now I see, it was in De'troit.

I thought his comment was referring to his time in Vietnam.

Well, really, it could have referred to that as well, BB. But most immediately, it was what happened to his little brother during the riots. During the funeral ("Let It Be"), you see JoJo standing over the casket with their mother and also comforting her as they sit in the pew. Next thing you know, JoJo's on the bus to NYC.

Don't feel too bad...I missed the true point of Prudence's "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" sequence, after all. [Smile]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I tend to like musicals on stage, but not generally on film. I'm not sure if that makes any sense at all.

Yeah it makes sense to me.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Recently saw the latest Bourne film. Ultimatum is it? Anyways it was pretty good. You see some spots where the books may have gone deeper and the first two films seem to have ignored. Anyways loved it.

Elizabeth the Golden Age? It was pretty good. Ofcourse the visuals take the cake. BEAUTIFUL! Great acting. History? Eh, a bit off for me. The Spanish were portrayed like cartoon evil villains. Still pretty good stuff though.

Eryk Davis Ester

I watched Three Strangers, with Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet, last night. It was fantastic! Another movie I was expecting to be good, but actually far exceeded my expectations!
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.