Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by dedman:
Last book i've read in thats series was Wizards and Glass...been too poor to afford to but more. How many more books in the series are out now?

Three after WaG. Book 5 was Wolves of the Calla, book 6 was Song of Susannah and book 7, recently released, was simply called The Dark Tower. I'm still stuck on book 2. I really hope it gets better otherwise I'm likely to have a bunch more hardback dustcatchers.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
I LOVE BOOK 2, and book 3 THE WASTELANDS was an excellent read too. I found the first book the hardest to get through, with WIZARDS and GLASS being a hard read too, but still overall both books are fantastic.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
I see i've got a trip to make to the bookstore when i get my first paycheque [Smile]

btw....Labradorian, are you actually from Labrador or does your name have some other meaning?

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I had to give up on the Dark Tower again. Couldn't even get through the second book.

LLad, if you like Caleb Carr, pick up EL Doctorow's The Waterworks. It's similar, maybe a little more stylish.

Actually, everyone should read everything by EL Doctorow. Ragtime, World's Fair, Billy Bathgate, all great books. Compelling stories with little history lessons.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the suggestion. I loved the movie adaption of Ragtime back when it came out. Never thought of looking for the novel. After I read the Alienist (I know, I started with the second book) I'll hunt up some Doctorow at the used book store.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Fat Cramer, have you finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell yet? I'm at about page 460. I'd love to have a good block of 3 or 4 hours to sit down with this now.
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by dedman:

btw....Labradorian, are you actually from Labrador or does your name have some other meaning?

born and bred, however i now live in nova scotia just like my buddy FAT CRAMER.
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Cool beans man....I was born in Goose Bay,but moved to NFLD when I was 5. Good seeing some other East Coasters here
From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
Fat Cramer, have you finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell yet? I'm at about page 460. I'd love to have a good block of 3 or 4 hours to sit down with this now.

Finished Saturday afternoon - it is best enjoyed in blocks of time, I think. At one point I was even reading it while I was cooking (consequently, that nice white cover isn't white anymore).

Now I'm back to the Nazis. Albert Speer: His Battle with Truth, by Gitta Sereny. The last Nazi-era book I read was amazing, I WIll Bear Witness, by Victor Klemperer. Two volumes covering 1933-1945 - the diaries of a Jewish professor of Romance languages in Dresden. His survival was due to being married to an Aryan, his formerly prestigious position and an awful lot of luck. It was a fascinating account of the small details that make up everyday life under increasing tyranny and chaos.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
Actually, everyone should read everything by EL Doctorow. Ragtime, World's Fair, Billy Bathgate, all great books. Compelling stories with little history lessons.

I *LOVED* Ragtime! Great book written in a very unique and interesting style. Went and saw the musical production too. It was a pretty good adaptation but obviously a lot had to be chopped out. There were also some pretty strong musical numbers but then I'm a big fan of that style of music.

I've got a huge pile of books next to my bed waiting to be read. I just keep buying more and more books that look interesting to me but then never getting around to reading any of them. Maybe if I give you guys a list of what's there you could give me some help in choosing what to read next or what order to read them all in. OK here's what I've got -

* The 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Phillip Pullman
* 'Star of the Sea' by Joseph O'Connor
* 'Vernon God Little' by D.B. Pierre
* 'Catcher in the Rye' by J.D. Salinger
* 'Dispatches' by Michael Herr
* 'Morality for Beautiful Girls' by Alexander McCall Smith (yes, I've read the previous two books in this great series)
* 'A Brief History of Time' by Steven Hawking

... and some others I've forgotten. HELP!

The most recent book I've read and *LOVED* was definitely 'Rubicon' by Tom Holland! I'm not normally one for non-fiction but this book about the rise and fall of the Roman republic gripped me from first page to last. Its written in a very easy to read, contemporary style and is full of the most amazingly interesting personalities and events that I defy anyone not to like this book! Ancient Rome is one place where the truth really is more incredible than fiction!

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
The "His Dark Materials" trilogy is terrific. The concept of Daemons is brilliant -- it kind of makes you wonder what animal form your own personal familiar would take...
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I just found out that Annie Proulx has written a "sequel" of sorts to her collection of short stories about Wyoming called "Open Range." I think the new book is called "Wyoming Stories 2" or something like that -- I'll probably look for it on Amazon.com one of these days.

I generally like Proulx as a writer, but I've never been able to get through "The Shipping News"...

Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I've gotten a little past half way in "A Breif Hisotry of Time" and I've followed the argument up to that point. Then Hawking takes this quantum leap in logic (pun intended) and I'm lost. I might as well be reading Sanskrit scrolls at that point for all I understand. I keep meaning to go back to it.

"Catcher in the Rye" is a must-read classic.

knowjack recommends "Vernon God Little". His post was in this thread within the last couple of days.

lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
"Catcher in the Rye?" What a snoozer. Maybe I'm just uncultured. For a great classic, try "All Quiet on the Western Front," "Anna Karenina," or "Gone with the Wind."

I'm also still waiting for the 4th book in Geaorge RR Martin's Fire and Ice series to come out. Great reads, but it's been what? 4 years? *sigh*

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I've gotten a little past half way in "A Breif Hisotry of Time" and I've followed the argument up to that point. Then Hawking takes this quantum leap in logic (pun intended) and I'm lost. I might as well be reading Sanskrit scrolls at that point for all I understand. I keep meaning to go back to it.

I read this years ago when it came out. I have to admit that I didn't fully understand it all, but I didn't even take physics in high school. Instead, I took astronomy.

quote:
"Catcher in the Rye" is a must-read classic.
Also read this years ago, probably as a teenager. It had been my mother's copy, which she had read years earlier. [/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.