Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Yep

Great album. I ripped it to my new laptop, 204 MB of magical sound.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm watching 'The Right Stuff' on the History channel right now. I saw it years ago when I was a kid and remember loving it, because my Dad loved it so much.

Its really a damn great movie. Sam Sheperd as Chuck Yeager is my favorite in the movie. The role he plays just speaks volumes to me about what a man is.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm getting ready to watch Seven Samurai! I'm pretty excited!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw There Will Be Blood the night before the Oscars. I have a thing for the director, Paul Thomas Anderson (Magnolia is one of my favorite films ever).

When I walked out of the theatre, I thought: "I'm not sure I liked that." The ending was incredibly odd, not what I was expecting in light of what had come before.

As the film has percolated in the back of my head for the past week or so, it has started to tower in my mind. I love it. I think it is a great work. If this "growing trend" keeps up, I might end up founding a religion based on it.

On another note, I highly recommend "Into the Wild." My mind wouldn't let go of that movie either.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I'm getting ready to watch Seven Samurai! I'm pretty excited!

And it was as awesome as I was expecting! It took two nights to watch, however!

Now I'm getting ready to watch Hitchcock's Jamaican Inn!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Seven Samurai rules! Great movie Eryk! As I'm sure you're already well aware, "Magnificent Seven" is a take off on it, and I personally think once you've seen 7S, M7 actually is better because of it.

You know, I've never seen Jamaican Inn, but have wondered for *years* about it. You've got to let me know about it! IIRC, its one of his earliest films.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalla Hrykos
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalla Hrykos   Email Kalla Hrykos         Edit/Delete Post     
Hitchcock, huh? Think it'll be suspenseful? [Hmmm?]
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Seven Samurai rules! Great movie Eryk! As I'm sure you're already well aware, "Magnificent Seven" is a take off on it, and I personally think once you've seen 7S, M7 actually is better because of it.

Yeah, I really want to re-watch M7 now.

quote:

You know, I've never seen Jamaican Inn, but have wondered for *years* about it. You've got to let me know about it! IIRC, its one of his earliest films.

It's not quite one of his earliest, but it's pre-Hollywood Hitchcock. Actually, I think it's his last British film. I'd put in a similar category to Rebecca (his first American film), not the least because both were based on Daphne du Maurier books (though it seems like JI is much less faithful to the original source, from what I can tell).

Anyway, it's a solid movie, but nothing to get too excited about. After seeing Rope, I keep thinking there's got to be at least on more fastastic Hitchcock movie out there I haven't seen, but this wasn't it. I've got Marnie recorded to watch sometime this weekend, so I'll see how that is.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Let me know what you think about Marnie. Marnie is good, I'd even say 'very good', but it's probably not in my top three Hitchcock movies (close to fantastic, but not quite deserving of that designation). Rope blew me away too by how much I enjoyed it, since I honestly never gave watching it a second thought until they started playing it on AMC last summer. What I do like about Marnie is that Tippi Hedron is in it, and I really like when Hitchcock uses her.

I'd probably rank Marnie much higher than the Birds in terms of Hitchcock films.

There are still many Hitchcock movies I have not seen. For example "Strangers on a Train", which sounds like it may have some of Rope's themes, intrigues me.

BTW, if you haven't seen "Notorious", watch it ASAP. Its not only fantastic, its worthy of being a contender for his 'best'.

Eryk Davis Ester

I actually recorded Strangers on a Train last night (I just happened to notice it was on Chiller), so that may get watched this weekend in addition to Marnie.

Yeah, Notorious is pretty powerful. I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a top three favorite Hitch films. Besides Rope, Vertigo is probably my favorite, though I'm a huge fan of Lifeboat as well. And of course North by Northwest and To Catch a Thief are just cool. And I love both versions of The Man Who Knew Too Much, and am firmly convinced if you could combine the two of them in the right way, you might just have the perfect film (with Jimmy Stewart as the hero and Peter Lorre as the villain...)

I like Birds because I think it shows Hitch's dark humor in a really interesting way. About half the movie is a pretty conventional 60s love story, then it kind of gradually converts into this crazy movie about attacking Birds. There's something kind of perverse about it.

I tend to think Psycho is way overrated. I mean, it's good, but maybe I've just seen it so many times that it's lost its impact. Or maybe it's just that it spawned so many imitations that its hard for me to enjoy it as the original.

[ March 07, 2008, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I agree with Psycho, and I probably feel that way for the reasons you list.

That's an interesting way to look at the Birds. I think that's exactly what the recent film 'Hostile' was trying to immitate: one-half of the film is this really funny 'college kids partying across Europe' sequence and then the next half this horrific and graphic torture craziness. In an odd way, that about sums up the change in culture from now to then from a really pessimistic point of view (instead of romance we get sex/drugs/let's party dude and instead of attacking birds we get graphic torture sequences).

North by Northwest if my favorite, but I also really don't think I could narrow it down to three or even five. I love Rear Window. I'd say the last 5-10 minutes of Rear Window are far more terrifying than any part of Psycho, and the combination of Hitch's suspense building, Jimmy Stewart's acting, and Grace Kelly being in peril (and then Jimmy Stewart) only heighten it.

I'm interested in what you think about Strangers on a Train!

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ram Boy:
We just saw Across the Universe yesterday. It's sort of an anti-war/love story wrapped in a tribute to the Beatles. Very neat. Includes some of the most amazing renditions of Beatles songs you'll probably ever see or hear. "Let It Be" was mind blowing. Other awesome highlights were "Strawberry Fields" and "With a Little Help from My Friends"

"Let it Be" was one of my favorites also (and one of the most powerful scenes in the movie) along with "Come Together."

My latest DVD borrow from the library.

Rather than overtly "anti-war," I found it very non-judgemental, letting the times tell the story. At the very least, they were subtle I thought.

With all the great singers and arrangements, Cocker was just glory, a whole different level to me. Also impressing me was how well they integrated the catalogue, the songs never took me away from the story telling.

I particularly enjoyed catching Beatles homages, my favorite being the rooftop scene.

I can't imagine I'll make it though the weekend without watching this again.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalla Hrykos
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalla Hrykos   Email Kalla Hrykos         Edit/Delete Post     
BB, hope you caught my own review of "Across the Universe" last page. I've watched it twice in the last week. Excellent, excellent movie for Beatles fans!
Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I'm interested in what you think about Strangers on a Train!

Watched it tonight and it's pretty awesome! Definitely one of Hitch's most memorable villains! I can see some similarity with Rope, in that you've got the same kind of amoral sociopath who see murder kind of as part of experiencing life to the fullest.

I actually wasn't a huge fan of the action sequence at the end, but the movie as a whole was really good. I loved seeing Pat Hitchcock (his daughter) in it, as well. She's really underrated as a character actress, and I wish she was in more stuff.

[ March 09, 2008, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
rokk steady, I haven't seen Magnolia. I have to correct that!

Seven Samurai I saw when I was about 23 to 24? 8 to 10 years ago. I have to rewatch it. I did remember loving it.

I'm also a Hitchcok fan. My wife is a big fan as well. Isn't there a CD collection with some of his best work? I need to get that.

Cobie, when the Right Stuff come out? I remember seeing it but I was quite young methinks.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.