Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Of the clips they showed, the acting that stood out to me was Hoffman (the Truman Capote guy), but I forget what movie that was.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Blockade, that was Charlie Wilson's War. The clip by P.S. Hoffman does look great. Again he is acting like a normal joe learning Finnish for apparently no reason. [Smile]

I haven't seen any of the films either except for the one Viggo was nominated for (Eastern Promises). I talked about that one a few posts ago. I highly recommend it. Viggo does a great job.

Lots of those films are coming out soon on DVD. Can't wait.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I also really want to see "There will be Blood" (the Oil movie). Daniel Day Lewis is just so extraordinary.

I haven't seen Michael Clayton (and want to) but I really like Tilda Swinton. She's been in some really off-beat stuff, and I hear her performance is masterful and really makes the movie.

A few thoughts. Upton Sinclair wrote the book that There Will Be Blood is based on. He called Oil. (which I think you may know that)

Tilda Swinton is pretty cool. I want to see the film Orlando by her. It's based on the hero Rolando switching genders.

No Country...is based on a book by Cormac McCarthy. His other book Blood Meridian is on my to read list. I hear it's awesome. I also hear his the latest one The Road is pretty good. Viggo M is set to play the lead character in the movie adaption.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Blood Meridian is the only Cormac McCarthy book I ever read (in college for American Lit). It's...interesting.

I have to say at first I didn't like it at all. But about two-thirds of the way through (and I may never have read the whole thing if not for it being college-related), I really started to get into it. McCarthy has such a ruthless, gritty style to his writing. I swear, reading a few chapters by him leaves you feeling like you just went ten rounds in the boxing ring and got the shit kicked out of you. Both because of the harsh, ruthless view he has of the world and because of his style of writing itself. But I'm not saying that's a bad thing--because I think that's what finally hooked me by the 2/3 point of his book.

Also, its just filled front to back with symbolism, allegory and very deep themes. Not all of them you'll quite get, but there is an excellent website on Blood Meridian (somewhere online) that will help you. I admit I wouldn't have gotten half of what I understood without the help of my American Lit professor.

I recommend it--but be prepared for something unlike you've ever read.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I've never been able to get into McCarthy's stuff for some reason. He often gets compared to Faulkner, who is my absolute favorite writer, but while there's an obvious Southern Gothic influence on him, it just doesn't have the same appeal to me.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

EDE, you saw any of the Oscar related films? btw, I saw the 1990 Lord of Flies movie which I commented on a page back. What you think of that if you've seen it?

Last night I saw something...different. You know when you want to see something no one has heard of? Sigourney Weaver and Michael Caine star in Half Moon Street (1986). I read about it somewhere and got interested because it's a political-erotic thriller set in London dealing with the Middle East.

It was...different. Despite the horrible dated soundtrack it wasn't that bad. Good plot, good acting, a very sexy Sigourney (well when she isn't wearing the biggest shoulder pads I've ever seen). It was very professor by day HOOKER by night. [Wink]

She actually became a high priced hooker and has no qualms about it. It's a bit Basic Instinct with politics instead of psychos.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know... I don't think I've seen any movies released in 2007, Oscar-nominated or not. I've been so busy catching up on "classic" films lately, that I really just haven't been paying much attention to newer stuff.

I actually just watched On the Waterfront last night, which was pretty cool.

I think I saw the 1990 Lord of the Flies back in high school (when I was obsessed with the book), but I don't really remember much about it.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
My last visit to the libray brought home High Noon and Transporter II. I got Transporter one day, because I couldn't find anything else. Good stuff. A most underated action hero.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
One the Water Front is one of my favorite movies of all time. Mainly because when I was a kid, it was so important to my Dad, who is a quintessential blue-collar guy. Its what I believe is Brando's finest performance on screen.

High Noon is also one of my favorites (I assume you mean the Gary Cooper western BB, b/c I don't know of any others). I watched it whe I was a kid, all by myself, at about 3:00 AM one night after sneaking back down to watch TV. I've watched it a dozen times since. The sense of being so alone in so strong in that movie, and so oddly liberating at the end.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

"alone" I got too but the "liberating" part, not so much. His wife is a Quaker and had to do what she had to do. That scene was very powerful with me.

No waste in that movie. Every scene seemed to have a play.

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
(^^^ Big fan of High Noon here too! LOVE the wordless montage sequence as the clock ticks over to 12 and the train arrives!)

Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' is one of the best books I've ever read. And I read a lot! I whole-heartedly reccommend it to everyone here.

And if you won't listen to me, perhaps you'll listen to Oprah [Wink] -

http://www.oprah.com/obc_classic/featbook/road/obc_featbook_road_main.jhtml

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalla Hrykos
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalla Hrykos   Email Kalla Hrykos         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't seen anyone reference this one here, but yesterday I rented "Across the Universe", a recent musical which uses Beatles songs for all of its numbers (and to name all its characters). This movie has some absolutely gorgeous renditions of many of their classic songs (of course pretty much all their songs are classics!) sung by a very vocally-gifted cast!

Okay, the story won't blow anyone away...like the story in most musicals is really its selling point, but it gives a nice flavor of the '60s with an attractive, talented cast. And I really enjoyed the psychedelic imagery, particularly in the segments featuring "I want you/She's so heavy", "I am the walrus", "Dear Prudence", "Happiness is a warm gun" and "Being for the benefit of Mr. Kite".

At heart it's a fairly simple love story between two leads, Jude and Lucy, who have an involving entourage of friends they come to share their lives with. All of them are very interesting as well, particularly Lucy's brother Max.

My only caveat with the entourage is that one of the characters, Prudence, really seems to get the shortest shrift, and I've a feeling a lot of her story was left in the cutting room. If I read between the lines correctly, Prudence was struggling with her sexual identity, and that would've been a welcome storyline.

I absolutely love the Beatles and found this celebration of their work thoroughly entertaining! Not only are the voices of the main cast terrific, but we get a lot of terrific celebrity singing appearances by the likes of Bono, Joe Cocker and Eddie Izzard. I don't know if people who don't worship the Beatles will like it, but I feel confident that those who do will be in heaven while watching "Across the Universe"!

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Love the trailer for that one, I've been meaning to pick it up.

Library pick-up:

Black Snake Moan

Music aside, this just couldn't hold my attention. It just couldn't decide if it wanted to be dark, a feel good, what. Just not to my tastes.

Return to Oz
When the chicken started talking, I switched out the dvd.

What?

I'm not even going to bother putting in the "Simpson Movie." It's probably just a hard to please me weekend.

OTOH: "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" sounds great on this new laptop with all the speakers and woofer an such.

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I saw the historical drama "The Other Boelyn Girl" at the theater. Natalie Portman (Anne Boelyn, doomed wife of King Henry VIII) and Scarlett Johanssen (Mary Boelyn, Anne's sister) both look lovely and give excellent performances. The movie is probably historically inaccurate and definitely a bit soap operatic, but I liked it.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

OTOH: "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" sounds great on this new laptop with all the speakers and woofer an such.

The Alan Parsons album BB? My favorite album of all time.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.