Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » City of Heroes: Your Chance to be a Legionnaire - Part 2 (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  127  128  129   
Author Topic: City of Heroes: Your Chance to be a Legionnaire - Part 2
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
So, who's left who can do Synapse with Doc? Sounds like Garth, Mysa and Condo are out. Grev's still a couple bubbles away from 22 and could SK him. Could a small force do it this weekend?

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Andrew is still under 22. That's one of the
reasons I haven't been playing him. Unless
it's changed since I last played Andrew, I
think that Prism should still be under
level 22 as well. Tas just recently hit
20, didn't she?

So it sounds to me like Andrew, Tas,
Prism, and Grev could do it one more
time.

I'd have time to do it this weekend,
but with Thanksgiving coming up I won't
have access to a COH-worthy PC from
Thursday until probably Sunday afternoon
next wekend....

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
Hey, Gung's welcome to join Blue on some mishs.
He's starting to believe Gung's hype about the
Crey... you can really see their hands dipping
into everything once you start doing mishs in
the 30s ...

Speaking of Crey Industries, they seem to have taken an interest in my hubby.
That's cool Seymour. I think I've seen that site before.

So when do the Crey become the main villains? At what level? I probably should try to get Gung up to that level at least since it was part of his background when I created him.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so I guess the panic has started at NCSoft/Cryptic. According to Caroline (who can sit at home and play in the mornings) the servers were off line for an extremely long time this morning. Longer than normal for server updates. It appears that the devs/GMs are going through accounts and either shutting them down completely or deleting characters that have any tie (name, costume, whatever) to established trademarked/copyrighted characters.

It was bound to happen and this is probably just their way of getting ready for their battle with Marvel, whether it goes to court or not. But this will severely limit the characters you go in to play with if using such characters.

I'm not sure they would go after any of our Legion based ones. At least the ones using the Legionnaire's real names instead of their codename. But ones like my lil' Bruce will probably be toast if he even still exists. Sure they made me change his name but he still looks like Batman. A 48th level character who I've seen before that goes (or went) by the name of Son of Krypton and looked as close to Supes as you can get was deleted today. So I know they are watching and waiting.

Just be careful who you play for awhile I guess. None of our new Avengers should venture out of the mansion for quite awhile. We all might just be best off playing original characters or even the ones we based on CoH mythos.

[ November 16, 2004, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
One person on the boards reported that (s)he got an e-mail because their character had a name similar to a Marvel character, even though that was where the resemblance ended -- look and powers did not match at all.

I'm not sure which of our characters would be safe from scrutiny. When I saw him do a trivia contest in SDCC, they seemed pretty knoweldable about comics, tho I never got the nerve to asking for a Legion question, so maybe they won't jump on the more obscure ones like Mystical Mysa. (Hey Vee, if they e-mail you tell 'em you're an anime fan and it's inspired by Mysa Hayase from Macross... Lisa Hayes in the American Robotech... she landed on a magic planet and studied there.)

Then again that brings up the question of what makes an infringement. I mean, is Doc Nimbus a trademark infringement, as an original character inspired by a trademarked one?

Anyway, it's a big question mark, but I think we've got a good number of fun characters that aren't problematic. If they don't take actions on our accounts, just the characters, we'll definately be fine.

[ November 16, 2004, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: LyleLyle ]

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm, I'm wondering if they'll have a problem with Shadow Yamamura. Her bio makes her an blending of two icons of Japanese horror -- Sadako Yamamura of the Ring franchise and Tomie of the horror manga series -- into an American setting.

If anyone spots that Olivia Honey is a fanfic knockoff, I don't think I'll ever get my jaw off the floor. (Elsie Flowers/Olivia Honey is a minor character from The Life and Loves of a She-Devil, I think I'm the only one who reads comics and knows that book that well.)

--------------------

Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Suddenly Seymour:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
Hey, Gung's welcome to join Blue on some mishs.
He's starting to believe Gung's hype about the
Crey... you can really see their hands dipping
into everything once you start doing mishs in
the 30s ...

Speaking of Crey Industries, they seem to have taken an interest in my hubby.
That's cool Seymour. I think I've seen that site before.

So when do the Crey become the main villains? At what level? I probably should try to get Gung up to that level at least since it was part of his background when I created him.

Brickstown is where you start to meet the Crey
on the streets, and that's really not safe for
anyone under 30 ... and it's even problematic
for Blue as almost everyone there is over 30.
In the story arc that I picked up for him the
other night he started to meet the Crey, and
the mish I had to do to get 30+ soS for Blue
involved going into a Crey facility and facing
them.

So 30 is the number, big guy! We better get
cracking!

Blue Battler
Honorary

Okay. I just logged on and I still had all
my characters. I do feel like lying low for
a while though ... I'm hopeful that Star
and Andrew will escape the purge ...

Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, all my guys are still there. I'm not really sure how much my characters will be in trouble, though. Porcupine Pete, Silver Slasher, Radiation Roy, and Chief Zendak aren't exactly well known characters. I don't think any of them evem made it into DC's Who's Who.

I might worry a little for Val Armor, but not too much. Recently I had him on Infinity when someon decided to do a "clone" contest - who had the best trademarked character. I got kicked out because no one knew who Val Armor was!

The only one I have any real worry about is Blok, who seems to have some recognition value. He was involved in the Legion during its most popular time, so he might get spotted. I now wish that I had named him something a bit different - Block maybe? Bloque? Bloc?

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
I might worry a little for Val Armor, but not too much. Recently I had him on Infinity when someon decided to do a "clone" contest - who had the best trademarked character. I got kicked out because no one knew who Val Armor was!

The Infidels!

-signed, the half-Japanese guy named Lyle who has way too much emotional investment in the only two DC characters to have traits in common with him

--------------------

Brainy Ack 5
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainy Ack 5   Email Brainy Ack 5         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think you should play that way scared that your chars are gonna be erased... play what you want and then if they get erased oh well you had fun
Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Just checked and all of mine are still there as well. With very few exceptions, I don't really use recognizable codenames. One thing I migh suggest is that you go into your ID "card" and modify your bio so that it deflects suspicion.

For example, even though we all know who Condo is, I doubt any of them would. Yet when I created him, I gave him a bio that reads ... Conan Doyle Arthur, Condo for short, yada yada yada....

If they bio is not character specific you can always argue that it's a mere coincindence in the name being similar.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Where is everyone playing tonight. I haven't run across anyone.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Yeeesh, my online HOA meeting just won't end. (It's the online that's a problem, all that waiting not sure if someone's typing a response.)

--------------------

Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I got Val up to lvl 10 tonight, so he'll be ready for the Positron TF soon.

I also decided to get started on a backup plan in case my obscure Legion characters get deleted. So brand new to the Triumph server is Mahatma Ghandi!! a natural empathy defender. He can be part of a new supergroup of heroes - Heroes of History!!

I think he turned out pretty interesting looking. I was so excited I immediately made two more chars - Teddy Roosevelt & Moses - but both names were already taken!?!?!?!? Oh well, I guess it just means I need to get more sleep.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 129 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  127  128  129   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.