Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you WATCHING? (Page 13)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  78  79  80   
Author Topic: So what are you WATCHING?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Or maybe the film needed an intermission during the film. Have Capt. Jack Sparrow explain what the heck is going on in a comical way. Wait 10 minutes and start again?
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I saw Pirates 3 on DVD (didn's see at cinema) without pausing or backtracking and didn't really find it confusing. What was considered most confusing about it?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
To be honest, I didn't like Pirates 3. To the point where I've reccomended to my friends that they not bother wasting their time with it. Hard to pin down why. I'm even surprised I dislike it so much.

I was sick today too (hope you're feeling better BB!), so I watched a few movies I know Lady Cobalt has 0 interest in watching, including "The Horse Soldiers" with John Wayne. I borrowed it from my Dad and am glad I watched it. Its my favorite John Wayne western (the Quiet Man is my favorite of all of his films) and definately my favorite William Holden movie. It has everything a film needs, including some very genius cinematography, montage and mis en scene, all the while not losing its charm.

Have not been into television at all lately. I just stopped watching Nip/tuck a few episodes in...it just didn't capture my interest (neither did last season though). Other than NHL hockey and UCONN basketball, I hardly ever watch TV. I am trying to tune in for two MTV guilty pleasures: Road Rules/Real World challenge, even though its rotting my brain, and Making the Band, because daaaaaa-aaaamn I still have the hots for Aundrea and the other four girls are lookin' good too [Big Grin]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Lard Lad here is some quesions about Pirates 3.

Why is Barbossa helping them rescue Jack?

All the deals brokered between characters.

Deal between Turner and Sao? Deal between Turner & Beckett? Deal between Jack & Bennet?

Davey Jones/Beckett deal was probably the only one I understood. On paper it's easy enough to understand but during the swashbuckling I got serious lost. (i was also at a theme park all day that day so I might've just been tired)

Cobie, I am going to the USF/Conn game a few Saturday's from now. [Smile] And I thought you were too old for MTV already. [Razz]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
"Reign Over Me"

Another library DVD random pick winner, mainly chosen for Cheadle but with reservations about Sandler, me not being a big fan. Cheadle delivered as expected. I figured Sandler had to be getting recognition for his role, I thought it amazing. Most emotional guy scenes since Penn in Mystic River.

I looked at the Academy website to see if the movie got any nominations. Na Da. That really caught me by surprise, I thought the movie that emotional and that well played. Checked out Rotten Tomotoes to see what the buzz was. Best they had was "uneven" or awkward but without any real concrete examples of something wrong or missing. I could think of a couple scenes that didn't work great for me but not enough to call the entire movie awkward.

As a whole I thought it a really good movie with some great performances.

Makes me wonder if it's still not "too soon" for the public to be dealing with 9-11. After this Cloverfield eruption, it seems to me that many are still trying to take sole possesion of the pain of 9-11 as if it's theirs to not share.

There was a certain time at which Vietnam movies became acceptable, a time at which people were willing to outlay their feelings and grief.

Sometime in the future, I think there will be a movie referencing 9-11 that will be proclaimed "great," and it will in essence be this movie, just at a time when the public is willing to accept it.

[ February 02, 2008, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Blockade, I admit I stay away from 9/11 related works. Just too emotional even though it's been nearly 7 years.

I'm also not a big Adam Sandler fan but it would be interesting seeing him in a dramatic role. I'm just not a big comedy guy. Jim Carey? Pet Detective and Dumber films are not for me. But I love him in dramatic films. (Ok, Cable Guy was a dark comedy and I loved that)

I haven't even heard of Reign Over Me. I will keep it in mind. Thanks.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

(just saw Saffron Burrows is in it...nice!)
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Blockade, I admit I stay away from 9/11 related works. Just too emotional even though it's been nearly 7 years.

I thought they did the right thing in this movie, purely post 9/11, a few years after the fact. Not exploitive at all but a look at the affect on one guy (mostly).
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Saw a movie I loved this weekend. Four Last Songs! As I said I'm a Tucci fan and it takes places in Mallorca (the island I honeymooned in and am totally obsessed with). Nuff said. It take place in modern times and it's about music composers. (usually when you think music composers you think period piece)

Loved this movie. Just ordered it from Amazon along with Big Night (another fave).

[ February 04, 2008, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Ultra Jorge ]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I've seen quite a few films since my last post.

Shrek 3! Super funny!

I saw Eastern Promises with Vigo M. Really good. You know I figured out the suprise before hand...or atleast I suspected it. It made it funner cause I was looking for more clues to back up my assumption. Loved it.

I saw FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I didn't think it was all that bad. I enjoyed it.

This Valentine weekend the wife and I decided to go cheap. Movie night every night and pick up food.

We watched a somewhat disturbing film called Little Children. Great acting (Kate Winslet!), interesting story, etc. Jennifer Connolly is in it as well. The main guy is called Patrick Wilson. Did a really good job and I had to suck it up while he was walking around with a Men's Health body all the time. The funny thing is I looked him up at IMDB and I actually have met his brother twice! We have mutual friends (his brother and I). They are from the Tampa Bay area. I don't want to ruin the ending but it is not as horrific as I thought it was going to end. I thought it was surely going to give me that I want to throw up or cry feeling but it suprsingly didn't do that.

Saw the Heartbreak Kid with Ben Stiller. I haven't laughed out so loud so many times during a movie!

And finally I watched Chocolat with the mrs. Chocolate and Johnny Depp? How can I not indulge her. Depp wasn't in it much actually. Real good story taking place in the late 50s about a repressed small town in France. Juliette Binoche is the leading lady and she does fantastic. Alfred Molina is the "villain" and boy do you HATE HIM in this! He makes his Doc Ock seem tame! And it's funny even in this age I could relate with all the brimstone the conservative religious folks in my part of the world throw around.

Anybody see any of these movies? What you think? Or did you watch any Valentine specials? We usually watch Casablanca but after two years of doing that we thought we'd branch out. [Wink]

[ February 17, 2008, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Ultra Jorge ]

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Shrek 3. The classes were a bit ahead but many had missed several days due to bad weather and needed to catch up so we had movie days. It's something watching some pretty hard core kids oohing at the cute babies or laughing out loud at the jokes, many of which I know were aimed more at someone my age. Shrek does a great job at finding jokes that hit several generations.

There were so many "life lessons," that were played so well, without shoving them down the viewers' throats.

A favorite scene amongst the girls was when Cinderella I think it was, singing all disney, suddenly went commando.

My favorite scene was probably "assume the position girls" or the "charlie's angels" pose. The vignete at home at the end was also a favorite.

Character i'd most like to be with, Queen lillian. Love a women that can give a good headbutt.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Love a women that can give a good headbutt.

You know that almost sounds...well, um, anyways. Yes her knocking down a few walls with her forehead was impressive! [Smile]

On Monday I saw the 1990s version of Lord of the Files. They changed quite a few things but the story was still the same. I don't care for the changes myself but I guess they wanted to make it different than the original film.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN! Wow they really did well. Cobie called it didn't he?

I'm suprised Atonement didn't do better?

Best Actress: Marion Cotillard!!! That's the beautiful french girl from A Good Year. She is transformed into an old ugly singer!

Javier Bardem is a great actor as well. Overdue for him. Daniel Day Lewis won best actor. No suprise. He's amazing. It was him or Vigo. Tilda Swinton transformed into NORMAL! So many actors can't do normal. I gained respect for Depp when he a Nick of Time. He played a normal dad. Not a wierdo. Crazy and wierdo are overrated. [Smile] Acting like a normal person is hard. Another good example is Kevin Spacey in American Beauty.

Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

I haven't seen ANY of these movies nominated for best or with a lead actor.

What a dullard.

The oil one sounds my cup-of-tea. I like historical american settings. "No Country" doesn't sound right for me but it's the Coen's, so I must see.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also really want to see "There will be Blood" (the Oil movie). Daniel Day Lewis is just so extraordinary.

Kudos for "No Country". Truly was magnificent and Javier deserves it too.

I haven't seen Michael Clayton (and want to) but I really like Tilda Swinton. She's been in some really off-beat stuff, and I hear her performance is masterful and really makes the movie.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 80 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  78  79  80   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.