Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The casting for the White Witch is perfect. The kid playing Peter just dosen't look likes peter too me but all the other kids look great. Maybe we should start a new discussion thread about this?
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by RTVU2:
The casting for the White Witch is perfect. The kid playing Peter just dosen't look likes peter too me but all the other kids look great. Maybe we should start a new discussion thread about this?

Done. Discuss the Narnia movie here.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Battler:
Scott,

Lately I've been reading the Science Fiction
Bookclub Omnibus edition of Madeline L'Engle's
"Wrinkle in Time" series.

Those are great. I still go back and reread them every couple of years.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

Hm, what does that include? Does that stop at Swifly Tilting Planet or go on to the second trilogy?

I'd like to sit with that series again some time. My old reading group did Wrinkle a while back and I noticed the Christian themes that I didn't pick up on when I was younger. I'm curious to see if I pick that up in the later books (I'm sure they're there, just remembering the plot of Many Waters).

Did you catch that awful ABC-TV movie? Some great casting (David Dorfman is perfect as Charles, same for Alfre Woodward as one of the Mrs.'s) but they oversimplified the plot.

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LyleLyle:
quote:

Hm, what does that include? Does that stop at Swifly Tilting Planet or go on to the second trilogy?

I'd like to sit with that series again some time. My old reading group did Wrinkle a while back and I noticed the Christian themes that I didn't pick up on when I was younger. I'm curious to see if I pick that up in the later books (I'm sure they're there, just remembering the plot of Many Waters).

Did you catch that awful ABC-TV movie? Some great casting (David Dorfman is perfect as Charles, same for Alfre Woodward as one of the Mrs.'s) but they oversimplified the plot.

It's got through Many Waters. I've read the first
three now, and have just started on the 4th.

LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
[QUOTE]It's got through Many Waters. I've read the first three now, and have just started on the 4th.

Wasn't there a second trilogy focusing on Meg and whasshisname's daughter? I think they all had references to time in the title. Then again, maybe not...I get so confused trying to sort out L'Engle's books.

I want to reread the whole series but Many Waters especially. The first time I tried reading it I was still pretty young and had a hard time keeping track of all the unusual names.

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I only ever read the first three books. Weren't the later one(s) written quite a while later?

I often find that, when a series/trilogy is written in relatively quick succession, and then another book is written a while later, the new additions aren't as satisfying.

Case in point: I didn't really think Tehanu was a particularly good follow-up to the Wizard of Earthsea trilogy.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

I'm reading The Martian Chronicles. Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite writers.
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie STU:
I'm reading The Martian Chronicles. Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite writers.

The Chronicles are good. Most Bradbury stuff is. Ever seen the mini-series with Rock Hudson?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Don't think I've seen that one. I'll finish reading the book, then see if I can find it on DVD (or, more likely, video) somewhere.

I do know that Dandelion Wine was also made into a movie a while back.

Does anyone know what Bradbury is doing these days?

Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
The Chronicles are good. Most Bradbury stuff is. Ever seen the mini-series with Rock Hudson?

I saw the mini-series, but Rock wasn't with me at the time. [Big Grin]

I remember being surprised by the series because I had a very different impression from reading the book. When I read the book, I thought the Martians were still present, but don't recall them being so in the mini-series.

[ October 17, 2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm plowing through Philip Roth's "Plot Against America." The writng is very dense, but it's hard to put down. Lindberg is elected President of the U.S., makes a pact with Hitler and keeps the U.S. out of WWII. This is all seen through the eyes of a young Jewish boy in Newark, N.J. I love alternate histories, especially when the author mixes a lot of well researched fact with his speculative fiction.
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

For any Tad Williams fans (I'm one) the first book in his new trilogy comes out on November 2.

-

Shadowmarch: Volume 1 introduces a world conquered by humans, who have driven the Qar, or fairy folk, into the far north. There, the Qar hide behind the "Shadowline," a mysterious veil of perpetual mist, which drives mad any human who dares enter it. Bordering that mist and named for it is Shadowmarch, the northernmost human kingdom.

Shadowmarch has lately fallen on hard times. Its king has been captured by a rival kingdom, the regent has been mysteriously slain, and the new regents are callow fifteen-year-olds. Moody, crippled Prince Barrick is uninterested in their responsibilities and haunted by eerie dreams. His twin, Princess Briony, takes their new duties seriously, but is hot-tempered and headstrong. How can they defeat the greatest threats in Shadowmarch history? Their nobles plot to overthrow them--and the plotters may include their pregnant stepmother, seeking the throne for her own child. The expanding empire of Xis has sent its agents into Shadowmarch. And, for the first time since it appeared centuries ago, the Shadowline has starting moving. As the maddening mist spreads south over Shadowmarch, it does not quite hide the powerful, uncanny, and vengeful Qar army of invasion..

[ October 25, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Semi Transparent Fellow ]

rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I am still trying to get through Johnthon Strange and Mr Norell but everytime I pick it upI fall asleep...
From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Same problem here. Not exactly a page-turner yet. Maybe it's one of these "picks up after page 350" kind of books...I always read the end first - the ending is good...

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.