Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Atom - Ray Palmer is back (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Atom - Ray Palmer is back
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
The Atom Special #1 (Sept '10)

I really liked this book. I've alwas liked Ray as a character, although he was never one of my favorite heroes growing up. I just always thoughtthe ability to shrink would be cool.

This issue covers the basics of his origin, while adding new layers to it, that do not feel overly shoeorned in. We meet several members of his family, and his mentor from his early college days.

The set up for a new villian is here, and looks interesting enough.

The writing is solid, even if it's not not groundbreaking. No real previous kknowledge of Ray is needed, and best of all - no mention of his ex wife at all. The art is consistant and clean and easy to follow.

I wanted to give the character his own thread as he'll be a backup for the near future in Adventure Comics, which a lot of us here are reading...hopefully they'll be some others interested in talking about this.

Gonna read the back-up from the latest Adventure Comics now.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Adventure Comics #516 (Sept '10)

Nice first edition od the back up story. Picks up right where the Special left off, but the Special is not required reading for this issue.

It's always nice to see Barbara in various comics, and I loved the "I'm always second on the scene" bit.

The Calculator as the villians "Oracle" is a great upgrade for that character, and he shows how dangeruous he can actually be in this story.

I'm enjoying this story so far, and am glad that I'll get it every month with mmy second Legion fix.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
i'm with ya Dev. I read the back up and enjoyed it. It didn't have a brooding sense, more of a real adventure to it.

And Ray's line about him and the Flash is just great. Good to see him getting some love.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought the special and the first back-up story were terrific! What a great intro to bring readers into the Atom's world and get things moving quickly.

I'm a longtime fan of Ray Palmer and it's great to see him having interesting adventures like this again without dwelling on Jean Loring and all of that. The writing felt very tight to me, particularly in the back-up where Lemuire makes better use of a limited amount of space than any single back-up by DC thus far (with a few Spirit back-ups as possible contenders).

The artwork was really dynamic and made great use of the Atom's varying sizes. It just felt like there was a ton of energy in the comic, which meshed really well with the self-reflecting narration.

I'm delighted and impressed and can't wait for more.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, I can appreciate Ray's position as a compassionate superhero, but I feel sorry for him AND Jean AND the Dibnys.

...but my opinion of him would be better if they hadn't killed Ryan Choi. Pass.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^I still think Ryan Choi's murder was ridiculous and worthy of a real-life beating for Didio and the editors, but I'm not going to let that ruin my enjoyment for a Ray Palmer series.

If I did that--and did it with other things that bother me--I'd probably never be able to collect a DC comic book again (and several Marvel ones too).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I began reading Young Avengers when it came out, enjoyed it, but lost track of it during the time I stopped getting monthly comics for a while. Did Iron Lad ever return? Or is he somehow part of Jonas/Vision?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
...what now?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The Chief is just testing the thread security protocols.

Looks like we've got some bleed through going on here, Sir.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
I began reading Young Avengers when it came out, enjoyed it, but lost track of it during the time I stopped getting monthly comics for a while. Did Iron Lad ever return? Or is he somehow part of Jonas/Vision?

Oops, wrong thread! [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Drunk while posting is no way to go through life son.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

[LOL]
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
What's funnier is that, since he's a mod here, he could have expunged all trace of the "oops" if he'd got to it in time [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
^I still think Ryan Choi's murder was ridiculous and worthy of a real-life beating for Didio and the editors, but I'm not going to let that ruin my enjoyment for a Ray Palmer series.

If I did that--and did it with other things that bother me--I'd probably never be able to collect a DC comic book again (and several Marvel ones too).

And this is why I haven't bought a DC comic or Spider-Man comic in years...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I was considering calling it the "Reboot Decision" or something. [Big Grin]

Even though it's not my chosen route for most franchises, I respect that you've been so rigid in sticking to your decision. [Yes]

Dev - Em
KIA

This story so far...I repeat, so far...has been something that I could hand to my daughter. Good fun adventure, without the gratuitis violence that seems to permeate a lot of books on the shelf nowadays.

This book actually is giving me hope for comics.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.