Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » DCU/DCnU Shazam [Captain Marvel] (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DCU/DCnU Shazam [Captain Marvel]
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
Great article up on Newsarama about Judd Winick and Howard Porter's upcoming Shazam maxi series.

Winick has a wealth of enthusiasm for the material and all the preview art looks gorgeous. So far he's sold me on the series. So what do you all think?

Here's a line that some might find troublesome

quote:
My big quote on this is that, “’the big red cheese’ is dead,” meaning that the silliness and the ridiculousness that have surrounded Captain Marvel is gone. We’re not looking at him that way. You keep that in there, and people end up not taking him seriously. “Oh, it’s just Captain Marvel,” they say. Hopefully, they won’t be saying that when they see what we’re doing, and where we’re headed.
Personally, I say "Thank the Lord!" Its about high time the Marvels were drug out of that gag endusing phase. It had its place back in the day, but the days of "Gee Whiz" or "Golly Mister!" are gone. If Batman saying "Chum!" is out of date, and for some I know Batman saying "Chum" was a big deal, then surely... this old horse can be put to pasture.

I have loved Captain Marvel and will continue to love Captain Marvel. So its time to see what a Modern Day interpretation can do.

And if no one likes that at least we have Jeff Smith's mini to look forward too. [Big Grin]

[ May 01, 2012, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
I think he's missing the point about what makes the BRC so special, the whimsy and fun side of super-heroics. Someone like Dan Slott (or Jeff Smith) should be writing the ongoing.

I mean, how long before CMJ becomes HIV positive in a very special story? [Evil]

I am admittedly not a Winnick fan as a whole. I occassionally like his work, but this has me nervous for CM.

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not really a Winick fan, either. I have yet to be outrageously impressed with anything he's written. I love the Marvels, but I will have to preview this before buying it. I'm not overly optimistic, but we'll see.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
Well I know that when the Marvels fight demons it wont be too far off concept THIS TIME.

--------------------
-Nick-

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

i dont think hes getting rid of the whimsy at all. I just think hes shedding those dated trappings that keep Cap from really being seen as relavent in todays context. Really they've been brining Marvel into the modern context very well with his appearances in JSA, Days of Vengeance and IC. This is just the next logical extension as I see it.

And on the Winick note, I really liked his Batman run, but his Green Arrow run has left me cold. Especially once Hester and Parks left, i felt the book suffered. Now that McDaniel is the artist things may or may not pick up.
I did really like his Exiles run.

But there is a level of predictability to his stuff. You have a Gay character, or one with HIV/AIDS. At some point there are demons. Sometimes the characters have sex.

Although he doesnt do this everytime. His run on Batman was very fresh and I hadnt enjoyed that title since just before the whole Fugitive arc. Most of the time those stories are told rather well. New Speedy (who's name I cant remember off the top of my head) contracting HIV. The hate crime from his run on GL. Alot of this stuff revisits elements from "Pedro and Me." And sometimes that can seem a bit didactic.

That being said, if I see Ollie fighting Demons one more time I may vomit. But, if he is taking the Marvels into the realm of Magic where they WOULD be fighting monstorous creatures and Magical beasts... Could work.

-Nick-

--------------------
-Nick-

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The whole "Big Red Cheese" characterization was the only thing keeping him from totally usurping Superman's status as "greatest hero of the DCU". If that's gone, considering Cap's gods given talents and wisdom etc., how can they say he's not A-#1?

Oh, I just thought of a possible excuse - that Cap's new status quo keeps him removed from taking part in most DCU related activites somehow - kinda how The Silver Surfer's almost always off-earth cuz there's little that could stand against him here.

[ May 18, 2006, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Winick, huh?

Somewhere out there, the message board poster known as Shazamgrrl is going to need to up her meds... [LOL] [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
The whole "Big Red Cheese" characterization was the only thing keeping him from totally usurping Superman's status as "greatest hero of the DCU". If that's gone, considering Cap's gods given talents and wisdom etc., how can they say he's not A-#1?

See, this is my main reason I have hated Crisis and the end of the Multiverse.

Having Captain Marvel on an Earth without Superman allowed both characters to be the A-#1 hero. Similarly, the Justice League and the Justice Society would be The superhero group of their respective Earths.

OK I've vented.

[ October 11, 2006, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Quislet, Esq. ]

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
I am also very skeptical of this. Erik Larsen wrote to my mind a great editorial at CBR about what was wrong with Captain Marvel. He identified the shift from Cap/Billy as 2 different people to Cap-is-boy-in-Superman's-body.

I tend to agree with that analysis. Cap should be an entity unto himself, somehow merged with Billy's memories and feelings. Cap should be Billy GROWN UP, not Billy the kid in a man's body. That's just too creepy, as recent events in JSA illustrate.

I think the shift to a more magical environment might work. It would certainly allow for some of the oddball whimsy the character had in the 1940s and 1950s. Winnick scares me, though.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I like Cap, he was the first super hero I met. Mind ya, it was that Saturday morning show back in the 70's, but still cool.

Get rid of Supergirl. With her and S-boy out of the way, Cap and Mary can fill those roles. Tie them closer to Supes, make them his extended family. It keeps Clark's unique-ness and allows for the Marvels to have their ties to the DCU.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, this will pretty much make sure i don't read it, and i have the Ordway run, along with some of the older ones that Kurt did, and a few before that.

I guess winnick really will get to write "marvel" books.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
With BNW out, just a reminder for fans...
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
The art in the BNW preview is sumptuous, just to die for. The plot, what there was of it, was fine (except Harpies are Greek, NOT Chinese!).

The original CM comics had a great mixture of light and dark elements -- people often forget about the dark moments in them. It looks like this could be a great modern take on that classic admixture. But Winnick's rep still scares me.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

So, anyone else reading this?

Porter's artwork here is just this side of edible. It looks great, very much an old school painted look.

As for the story, the first two issues are a nice introduction. We get Cap and Freddy in the OYL DCU, and it's not grim n gritty or post modern relevant. It's just a promising start to an exciting adventure touring the magical side of the DCU.

If you're a Cap fan, you will like the classic feel it has.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought TRIALS OF SHAZAM # 1 & 2 were FANTASTIC.

Looks like Freddie Freeman is going to be the hero to watch.

I want Mary out of that hospital bed!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.