Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » How did HARVEY COMICS ever make it? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: How did HARVEY COMICS ever make it?
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
DEMONS!! POLTERGIESTS!! PHANTASMS!!! BLACK MAGIC WITCHES!!!

All aimed at li'l children!

Seriously, I read lots of Harvey comics. I collected all the Richie Rich titles, and also collected the Casper, Hot Stuff, Wendy and Spooky the Tuff Little Ghost series.

But when I think back on it, I'm surprised that children's comic titles like DEVIL KIDS (a second HOT STUFF book) were ever even allowed to be published.

Doesn't it all seem a little weird?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadow Kid
Talokian Super-Hunk

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadow Kid   Email Shadow Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't forget Lil' Lotta.

I don't want to think about how much damage she did to little overweight children all over the world.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

And would it have killed Li'l Dot to wear a solid color dress?

[ September 21, 2004, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Those girls retained water like crazy! Dot, Gloria, Lotta, Mrs. Rich... not a one had any ANKLES!

Cadbury and $Dollar$ were da BOMB, though!

I'm surprised Disney never sued over STUMBO.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyleLyle
hmmmm....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyleLyle   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
When I was a kid I bought Richie Rich comics, due to the popularity of the Saturday morning cartoon at the time. However, I was also going to a fundamental Christian school at the time and all my friends warned me about Wendy and Hot Stuff, basically saying they were a gateway to satanism.

So, yeah, people did look at it that way. I am surprised that there wasn't more, tho.

In hindsight, I kinda wonder why they didn't try to warn me away from Richie, too... I mean all that emphasis on materialsm isn't very Christian, either, tho Richie did try to do good deeds with his wealth.

BTW, speaking of rich kids trying to do good deeds anyone ever read The Green Team? I read their first appearance in First Issue Spectacular #3 or something (a highlight of so-bad-its-good comics). They were part of the DC Explosion that quickly disappeared and for good reason. Oy.

--------------------
Lyle's part-time blogging

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Playful Little Audrey: precocious tomboy, or prepubescent robotic lesbian? You decide!
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LyleLyle:

BTW, speaking of rich kids trying to do good deeds anyone ever read The Green Team? I read their first appearance in First Issue Spectacular #3 or something (a highlight of so-bad-its-good comics). They were part of the DC Explosion that quickly disappeared and for good reason. Oy.

Green Team SUCKS!

DINGBATS RULE!!

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Richie Rich... yeah, we know what money is the root of, don't we?

Harvey Comics warped my mind!!

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd guess because even though you had McCarthyism and Wertham f-ing things up, the books didn't have to contend with the rabid PC-ism that you have today, and parents weren't as idiotic back then.

My wife's cousin, who has since passed away, heard that Harry Potter was about satanism. So, he wouldn't let them read it. My wife was ticked off about it, and even tried to speak to him...but his mind was made up.

Between phony would-be christians ruining the name and rampant stick-up-the-ass-itis, this generations kids are gonna be even more f-ed up.

Just last night NBC had one of those scare-the-hell-outta-ya news magazine shows on talking about how small kids see too much sex on tv in the form of shows like friends, etc. Then, the very next segment was about the so-called children of god cult, and how they had ritualistic sex parties involving children as young as three. And NBC didn't seem to get the irony. "Sex on tv is bad for your kids to see...now, here's some sex on tv."

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Alls I'm sayin' is, if Jackie Jokers was straight, then I'm a monkey's uncle.

He was the gayest thing since gay came to Gaytown!

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
 -

Red Circle...aka Archie.

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Ah... Gray Morrow.

Did you know Morrow did the storyboards for the 2nd & 3rd seasons (1968-70) of SPIDER-MAN? Yep-- those dark, demented, psychedelic cartoons with the wild jazz music. I sometimes wonder what the results might have been if he'd actually done any Spider-Man comic-books??

I put together a gallery of his art here...

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/spidey-jazz/lst

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember reading Richie Rich when i was a kid. I liked Irona the robot maid but thought the rich kids like Reggie Van Dough and Mayda Munny just too creepy and depressing for words!!!!

Brian

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think someone touched on this in another thread. Readers pretty much went through the Harvey Comics phase within a few years. At a certain age, the one-note comedy of a boy with limitless wealth or a ghost who wants to be friendly wears off. But there was always another batch of six or seven year olds waiting to be charmed by them.

I read Harvey, Archie and DC comics when I was a pre-teen (never cared much for Marvel) and you can see which one stuck! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I saw the RICHIE RICH movie on TV recently.

Isn't it time for a HARVEY revival?

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.