Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » MadroX and X-Factor Investigations (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: MadroX and X-Factor Investigations
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, so #3 is out. And, while I really liked some parts of it (no more pseudo-gay Rictor, yay!)... I do have a few nitpicks.

Firstly, I remember Jamie and Terry having a thing back in the day. Only, it was actually one of his dupes and, after he was reabsorbed, Jamie!prime didn't have the same emotional connection or something. Terry confronted, there was anger... so can someone please explain how that scene in the beginning is supposed to work in continuity?

Also, is it just me or is Rahne completely... weird? I get that she's more agressive when wolfed out but... that whole scene was so... over the top. Like, too far, y'know? And I don't get what her deal with Rictor is. Especially since they had their own thing way back when.

I'd just like to point out that, ironically enough, both of those relationships were addressed in X-Cutioner's Song. Madrox and Rahne were arresting X-Force, which had Terry and Julio as members at the time. I just remember there being one page kind of showcasing that or something. Tangent, yeah.

Other than that, though, this series is really intense (in a good way). I've been really enjoying it so far. [Smile] And I'm interested in seeing where it's going...

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caliente:
Firstly, I remember Jamie and Terry having a thing back in the day. Only, it was actually one of his dupes and, after he was reabsorbed, Jamie!prime didn't have the same emotional connection or something. Terry confronted, there was anger... so can someone please explain how that scene in the beginning is supposed to work in continuity?

I was wondering about that myself, and finally got a response, such as it was, out of PAD at Newsarama - http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=1607545

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, it's really nice to see a writer be so honest about something like that. As someone who is completely new to the characters with this series (seriously, never read anything with any of them in before #1) he's right, I would have probably have found it a bit distracting. Of course the flip side to that is, could he not have ahd a similar conversation that didn't 'avoid' certain aspects of continuity and still got the point across?

Still, of a week of good comics PAD managed to have the top two for me with X-Factor #3 and Fallen Angel #2. Of course having fantastic artists on both didn't hurt either...

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, this sucks... [Frown]

Newsarama's reporting that Sook is voluntarily giving up the art chores for the book. DAMmit. [sigh]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, he's done one whole issue and two half-issues and we're only on issue 3. And if issue 4 has "Maximum Sookage," I'll be very, very surprised.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Regarding the PAD article about Siryn and Madrox, I really don't see where it would've been confusing to mention that they once had a thing. Even if there was (god forbid) an editorial caption that said "it happened waaaay back in so -and-so". I don't think it would've been a big deal for new readers. I guess if he has no plans to build on it then there's no reason to mention it, but I'm a little surprised he would put her on the team and not want to include that dynamic.

And I'm really disappointed that Sook is leaving. I hope he doesn't prove to be as integral to my reading enjoyment of this title as Cheung is to "Young Avengers"

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NeroMan
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NeroMan   Author's Homepage   Email NeroMan         Edit/Delete Post     
Over at newsarama, somebody said that in this issue, Layla went from cute to Very Creepy
Although personally, I think she went from Very Creepy to Really Very Creepy.

From: The Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
X-FACTOR #3

I like this book a lot, though I'm not sure I want a long-term 'who or what is she' mystery centered around Layla Miller. Everything else, I'm loving. Rictor and M? Hee-hee. Guess that does put the Shatterstar speculation to rest. Or does it? Why couldn't he be bi?

Jamie Madrox continues to shine. I love what PAD had done with a character who, after all, began as a one-shot adversary for the Fantastic Four in an annual.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey Eater Lad
Gorilla Griller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey Eater Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It sucks that the book's gonna be sans Sook (still submitting slick covers though)...

Jamie rocks but I kinda miss his old costumes (both the green and yellow with connect the dot pattern and the last X-Factor version).

From: Alameda, CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
God, I love this book. The tone shifts so smoothly from comedy to tragedy, as all of PAD's best books have done over the years. The riots in Mutant Town, and Rahne's bloodthirst, were deeply disturbing. I must admit that if I had been there, my knee-jerk reaction would have been the same as hers ("Let 'em rot!") I just hope Guido doesn't go into too dark of a place; I don't want to see him turn too far away from being the jokester.

A good case of PAD's talent for characterization: Monet is the only team-member who I was completely unfamiliar with (being mostly ignorant on X-Continuity from 1994 to 2004; uncannyxmen.net helps a lot, but it's not the same) and yet she has already become my favorite character. She even shares my abominable taste in musical guilty pleasures...Right Said Fred, omg. [LOL]

Re: Terry and Jamie and PAD's choice to ignore their history...I, personally, have come to dislike continuity and the way it compromises stories. I agree with PAD's choice -- he seems to be searching for a middle ground, and this is the best he can do for now.

And yes, it is a strange bit of synchronicity that this should come up just as we've been talking a lot about The X-Cutioner's Song.

[Cue Twilight Zone theme]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with Stealth on this one. It's a great mix of humour and drama. The riots really brought out the darkness of modern Marvel. And Layla has me wondering about her now. What will M do when she finds out she isn't hte only know-it-all?

I didn't mind PAD's sidestep of continuity. It happened before I came to the X-world ('round Executioner's Song coinidentally enough.) It didn't contradict any info I had, just made me rethink some of it.

I hate multiple artists on a book. Unless it's used for different plotlines, it really jars my reading. I'll miss Sook, but if he needs fill ins, I'd rather have a different penciller.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think M's gonna be fighting mad and nobody better get in her way. [LOL] But she'll do it without losing her sense of humor or her sense of dignity. I just realized, M reminds me a lot of Sersi during the Harras/Epting Avengers Era. No wonder I like her so much.

I agree with CJ about multiple artists -- I'm enjoying myself, but then I turn the page, and...* gah *, what is that??

Hopefully the new artist will be okay. I remember on PAD's Hulk when Dale Keown flaked out and left the book...right in the middle of a major story arc, too (Ghosts of the Past.) Jan Duursema (who was doing tons of fill-ins for Marvel at the time...IIRC, her daughter was born at this time, and she needed the extra freelance money) and Chris Bachalo both stepped in to do work that was far below either of their standards. Then Gary Frank became the new artist, and...uh...well, he went from being mediocre to somewhat less mediocre. Saddest part was that Paul Pelletier did much better work than Frank on a bunch of back-up stories, and Pelletier also did a full issue (# 412, guest-starring She-Hulk) which had the best Hulk art since Keown left. I don't know the behind-the-scenes politics, but I assume that Pelletier was being groomed as Frank's successor, and then something must have fallen through, because Frank ended up being replaced by Liam Sharp, one of those artists who's good today but was abominable back in the mid-90s (see also: Mike Deodato.)

Point being -- and I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get to it -- that even after Keown left, we still had more than two years in a row of good-to-great PAD Hulk stories which rose above the erratic quality of the art. I think X-Factor will be a similar case...except the stories are gonna stay good for much longer than two years, because PAD's on a roll here.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

So...the last I heard, X-Factor # 4 was originally scheduled for this week, but now it's been delayed until at least next week. I had already set aside some time in my crazy, unpredictable schedule to go to the comic shop this weekend. I can't get there as often as I'd like because it's far away from where I live, and it's the only half-decent comic shop in the vicinity that didn't close down after the collapse of the speculator market in the 90s. Looks like I'll be reading # 4 later than the rest of you.

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to get my PAD X-Factor fix by re-reading PAD's first X-Factor run, # 71-89.

Chris Batista fans take note: in X-Factor # 88-89, PAD wrote a wonderful Quicksilver/Crystal backup story which was drawn by a then-unknown Batista.

[ February 24, 2006, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Stealth ]

--------------------

Reboot

quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
So...the last I heard, X-Factor # 4 was originally scheduled for this week, but now it's been delayed until at least next week.

It's on the provisional list for next week, and it's in the first looks @ CC, so it should definitely be out next week.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Which only confirms that I'm just barely going to miss it. Bah.

--------------------

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.