Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews! (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews!
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Whatever happened to the MM's sidekick, Zook? Did he just disappear into comics limbo?
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I believe he recently showed up in an issue of Superman/Batman.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I'm really disliking this Tala chick that's been introduced as a villain. She's completely ruining the dynamic that existed in the first few issues of the series.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

So now I'm getting close to halfway through the PHANTOM STRANGER volume, and all I can say is that I have never read a series that I liked so much in the first few issues, only to beging disliking it more and more as it goes on!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Was there an overhaul of the creative team?

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Actually, now that I check... yeah. Robert Kanigher takes over the writing from Mike Friedrich with #4 of the actual series, and takes the series in a much different dirrection.

Friedrich's issues have very much a kind of "X-Files" vibe to them. Typically there will be something weird going on (a haunting or something), and then Doctor Thriteen and the Phantom Stranger will both show up to the scene. Then both work to expose whatever is going on as a hoax, and then Doctor Thirteen is satisfied, except that it always seems like the Phantom Stranger himself must've done something supernatural over the course of the adventure.
And they typically end with Doctor Thirteen saying something to the effect that he will one day expose the Stranger for the fraud he is.

Starting with Kanigher's run, the stories take a more blatantly supernatural tone, with the Phantom Stranger engaged in great mystical battles against the forces of evil, usually spurred on by the annoying Tala. There's also this group of four young hipsters who always happen to show up everywhere there's something weird going on. And Doctor Thirteen ends up being almost absurdly comical in virtue of his skepticism in the face of the great mystical fights going on all around him. If it weren't for the inclusion of flashback stories about past ghosts he'd busted, he'd come off as a complete doofus.

The Kanigher issues aren't bad, but I just find epic battles between massively powered magic users to be kind of boring, and I was really excited by Friedrich's takes on the characters, so it was disappointing that it didn't continue.

Eryk Davis Ester

Interestingly, the book then starts getting better later on, as they basically split it up into one solo Phantom Stranger tale and one solo Doctor Thirteen tale per issue.

The Phantom Stranger starts encountering more diverse sorts of plots, from underground civilizations of evil children to robotic African gods, which is kind of groovy. And Doctor Thirteen battles evil hypnotic rock and roll bands and crazy scientists trying to create utopian societies in the swamp. These issues are generally pretty cool, though I still like the first few issues better.

Eryk Davis Ester

FINAL VERDICT: Okay, so the Phantom Stranger volume actually ends up being pretty decent. I still like the first few issues the best, but the second half of it is actually pretty awesome as well.

And it's worth it because the last story has this guy who looks kind of like Dr. Mayavale working for the "Dark Circle", a crazy religious cult that uses supernatural assassins!

Next: To start reading BatB!

Eryk Davis Ester

Yikes! I haven't finished the BatB stories yet, and I just received three new Showcases in the mail!

Anyway, the BatB are pretty much a mixed bag. It's amazing how contrived some of the team-ups are. One of the grooviest is actually Batman versus Eclipso, also featuring the Queen Bee and that international organization of evil, Cyclops, which I know from Metamorpho is led by that villain of the DC Ages, the Stingaree! Anyway, considering the fact that I've generally had basically zero interest in the Eclipso character, this story kind of intrigued me.

There's also a decently groovy story in which the Flash helps Bats catch some thieves that have sneakers that give them super-speed. The real interest of the story is this subplot that Flash's powers are killing him whenever he uses him, and so there's a whole heroic sacrifice kind of thing going on.

Anyway, I just got through the first Batman/Green Arrow team-up, which I'd already read in the Green Arrow volume. Basically, there's this Indian who went to college instead of learning the "old ways" of the tribe, and now Bats and G.A. have to teach him how to be an Indian so he can compete in the competition to become chief of the tribe so the heap big bad Indian (who's also an evil businessman) doesn't take over. But the real villain is J. Jay Jaye, alias the Promoter, who forces the heap bad Indian guy to summon the Thunderbird with Indian magic. Yeah, it's as bad as it sounds.

Eryk Davis Ester

Don't you hate it when you concoct this brilliant scheme to lure a criminal into a trap by pretending you're distracted by the two beautiful super-heroines who pretend to fall in love with you, only to super-heroines fall in love with you for real and thus distract you for real? The difficult life of a bat-stud...

In other news... tons of appearances by Spiffany Jewelery in BatB!

Eryk Davis Ester

Batman and Sgt. Rock team-up = One of the coolest things I've ever read! And I was totally caught off guard by its coolness!
Eryk Davis Ester

So I finished BatB. The last story is all about Batman macking on Diana Prince in her "de-powered" phase. Which is funny considering that last time they teamed up, she was all ga-ga over him, and he seemed completely uninterested!
Eryk Davis Ester

An EDE SHOWCASE REVIEW QUICK QUIZ:

Suppose your wife suddenly gets extremely sick and dies. On her deathbed, she tells you that she's a lost princess of Atlantis and your son has inherited her ability to live in the ocean and communicate with fish.

Do you:

a) Dismiss your wife's dying statements on the assumption her mind must have gone as she died.
b) Take your kid to a hospital to find out if there's anything weird about him.
c) Toss your kid in a large aquarium with a bunch of angry swordfish and see what happens.

kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
I know! I know!

Its c), Right?

Its what I would do.

Did you get to "The Mermaid from Metropolis" yet?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Oh, I *just* read it!

Classic!

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.