Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The New Avengers (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The New Avengers
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I kind of like it. BTW, no spoilers from me [Big Grin]

I’d really like it if Elektra stays dead and was a Skrull all along. It really cheapened Frank’s story when she came back in the 90’s, and having her around every since has been very poor of Marvel.

This could be a very cool story-driven way to explain some Marvel inconstancies if done right. It could also be a colossal bust. Despite an initial feeling of ‘hey, maybe Tony is a skrull!’, I know it can’t be that way, since it would pretty much make Civil War irrelevant, and its too obvious. Same for Cap (who doesn’t need it to be brought back, that’s already built into his death and can be done a few ways).

There’s a bunch of possible Skrulls and its intriguing. For instance, it’d make a lot of sense of Dr. Strange was one, since he obviously has been out of character since the 80’s. However, and I’m holding my breath, imagine if Mary Jane was a skrull? That would be just such bad writing…(if it was going to be that bad, they might as well make it Lyja and just sell Marvel to Pepsi or something).

But Marvel has treated their main characters so ‘out of character’ for awhile now, so this could be a cool way to connect it all back together. It also gives what Nick Fury has been doing (I assume battling back), a really cool aspect. I bet Dr. Doom turns out to be helping Fury and that woman from Secret Wars running his country (Bendis version, the one supplying the villains their tech through the Tinkerer) is a Skrull.

Imagine if Hank Pym was a Skrull? I don’t say yay or nay to that, but only inspire vigorous and horrific debate. [Razz] Because every single one of you know Marvel would do that these days.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobalt you just scared me. If the guys who are writing these characters our of character...are now doing this? I am scared.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Re: New Avengers #50
-- Dark Riegn has given new life to this title. The constant battle against Tony Stark or even the Hood were wearing thin. Going against Osborn, a real larger than life villain, gives the New Avengers someone real to fight, since they never did anything too overtly combative against Tony and their old friends.
-- The team's reaction to Osborn's lineup was priceless! This is why Bendis was so hailed as a writer of good, in character dialogue. He gets too carried away sometimes, but this is the stuff!

[ February 26, 2009, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The opening and closing sequences were fun, with enjoyable dialogue.

However, I think the fight scene against the Hood's crew suffered from part of what killed the latest Legion book. Hordes of unidentified characters makes *any* fight less than it could be.

The heroes had personalities and quirks-- their oppenents should as well.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
However, I think the fight scene against the Hood's crew suffered from part of what killed the latest Legion book. Hordes of unidentified characters makes *any* fight less than it could be.

Not to mention "Civil War", "Rann/Thanagar War", "Infinite Crisis", "Secret invasion" ....

I actually thought this fight was better at least in terms of spotlighting each individual member. I can forgive the lack of characterization for the bad guys here because they were just fodder. I think Bendis is doing a decent job building up Osborn's Avengers as individuals for the most part.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I can forgive the lack of characterization for the bad guys here because they were just fodder. I think Bendis is doing a decent job building up Osborn's Avengers as individuals for the most part.

See, this issue involved Hawkeye/"Ronin" and Moonstone/"Ms Marvel" meeting for the first time since Hawkeye put her in a coma in Avengers/Tbolts, after they'd been sex-buddies for a long time in the old Tbolts series and Hawkeye was a major influence on her even after he went to prison... and they might as well be strangers.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Except they didn't meet in this issue. Spider-woman was the only 'New' Avenger that actually interacted with the 'Dark' Avengers.

I hope Hawkeye's and Moonstone's history isn't ignored when they *do* cross paths. I actually preferred her with him to Mockingbird.

I wanted and want more of Madame Masque. I don't think any of the New Avengers were on the team when she was briefly a member or an associate. If that was even *this* Madame Masque. Still, I'd like to see it mentioned again (I think they briefly touched upon it at some point during the Invasion issues).

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.