Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Astonishing X-Men Official Thread (Spoliers) (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Astonishing X-Men Official Thread (Spoliers)
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, it's so late they've given up on waiting and just blown the ending in Uncanny X-Men. No wonder it's not getting talked about.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't follow UXM, and I wait for the trades with AXM. Is it true that...

Click Here For A Spoiler...Kitty is dead??

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes.

And either Cyclops is a Skrull, or Brubaker's never even heard of a lengthy run of X-Factor.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Language Arts Dave
searching...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Language Arts Dave   Email Language Arts Dave         Edit/Delete Post     
My first reaction to this:

Click Here For A Spoiler...Kitty is dead??

was that if it was true, and it was a lasting truth, then I'll never have to pick up another issue of any Xmen comic ever again.

Than I remembered that, except for John Proudstar, when it comes to death there are no lasting truths with the Xmen. It all stared with Professor X back in the late '60's.

She'll be back.

--------------------
All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).

From: Lost in the Ozone Again | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Whedon's entire run has been underwhelming since #6, and this is just plain lame.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Exactly my opinion, CoKi - the Danger Room becoming an entity was so ridiculous, i just couldn't get why Comic press like Wizard still celebrated that book. The whole idea was so lame...

Death in X-Men was always a two-sided sword. Some of the best issues I remember dealt with the death of a character, like Ilyana dying way back. By bringing them all back, they devaluate their books from the beginning. If XXX ist dead, the book can never have the same effect it had in the 70s or 80s cause everybody today knows that some wirter will bring him or her back somewhen in the future... so why bother?

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Uranus Lad: I love Whedon as a writer, I hope he keeps doing comics after his X-Men run is over (Besides Buffy et al.). Imagine: Whedon and Cassidy on Legion, now that would really trip my trigger!
I'm a huge Buffy fan, and I gotta say, the idea of Whedon writing the Legion makes my blood run cold.

He *loves* killing off popular characters (and has specifically admitted to killing off certain characters *because* they were popular and it would be effective), and he has the most amazing talent I've seen to construct a heroic complicated fascinating character and then, like a child ripping wings off of a fly, tear them down into an unlikable, unheroic, depressed and lifeless shell of their former selves.

I'd hate to see him get his hands on the Legion and turn Garth into a wife-beating alcoholic, Imra into a weak-willed co-dependent wringing her hands in helpless wide-eyed despair and Cos into a power-tripping megalomaniac out to bend the universe to his will, who ends up having to be killed to save the planet.

Joss is okay for about a year, sometimes two. Then he gets bored and starts breaking shit. He needs to be regularly pushed on to new projects, lest he start tearing up the sandbox and throwing toys everywhere in a fit.

This may sound wicked insulting, and it's not really meant to. He's got an amazing gift for creating compelling stuff. He's also got a penchant for tearing it all apart if he's stuck in one place too long, and it's best for any sort of franchise that he only gets to visit, and not stick around past that date when he loses interest and starts getting the Calvin look in his eyes...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I know there are many Whedon fans on this board, but I have to say that to date, nothing he's ever done has impressed me that much. Then again, my Buffy and Angel viewing has been extremely spotty at best, but I have read most of his comic books--and been left wondering what everyone has been talking about.

The one exception: Astonishing X-Men #1-6, which had probably the best X-scene in the last twenty years.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Whedon's entire run has been underwhelming since #6, and this is just plain lame.

I feel exactly the same way. The art is gorgeous but after Colossus returned, the stories have been awful.

Danger is the worst part of it. The Danger Room has been alive before. I can't believe Danger got an action figure AND a bust!! The whole Danger Room coming alive was dreadful.

The Hellfire Club storyline was a major let-down also.

While I will miss the art, especially Emma, I am glad there will be a new writer.

From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Even having heard the rumors about it, and even knowing about all the dead mutants who have come back to life, I'm still shocked and outraged about this character's death.

I agree that the first AXM arc totally outshines the second and third. I was hoping that the fourth arc would turn out to be more to my liking, with all the space opera elements, but the fate of this character is going to be a grain of sand when I read the trade.

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
he has the most amazing talent I've seen to construct a heroic complicated fascinating character and then, like a child ripping wings off of a fly, tear them down into an unlikable, unheroic, depressed and lifeless shell of their former selves.

Fabian Nicieza did that to Namorita during the second half of his New Warriors run; he's another talented writer who's generally better in the short term (IMO, he should have left New Warriors after # 25 and left X-Men after X-Cutioner's Song.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I know there are many Whedon fans on this board, but I have to say that to date, nothing he's ever done has impressed me that much. Then again, my Buffy and Angel viewing has been extremely spotty at best,

Seasons two and three of Buffy are probably the best television I've seen, ever. (Seasons six and seven are painfully bad, by comparison.) Firefly was pretty interesting. Angel was an acquired taste, I guess, and it never quite grabbed me until season four, and even then, only briefly.

Toy Story was a hoot. Other than Astonishing, I haven't read much of Joss' comic work.

Based on his last years of work on Buffy, I *dreaded* Astonishing, but he really did a much better job than I'd expected.

The whole Hellfire Club non-story was awful 'though. The end of that arc made me feel like a John who'd been left pantsless by the hooker who stole his wallet without giving up any sweet, sweet lovin.' Robbed. Frustrated. And a bit chilly.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uranus Lad
substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Uranus Lad   Email Uranus Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe it's just that Whedon so damn good at dialog. Something that many comic writers just aren't that good at, but Whedon's dialog while snarky and perhaps a bit contrived, comes off as fresh and believable.

I never followed Buffy religiously or Angel for that matter and found the dialog a little too snappy at times but maybe it's just because I kind of hate vampire stuff. However I didn't feel that way about Firefly at all and I could re-watch it over and over again, no problem.

I must admit, I was not incredibly thrilled with the whole Danger thing although it WAS something that hadn't been done in X-comics before which is a feat in and of itself, what with something like a million different titles (which all seem to have to have Wolverine in them).

I have been enjoying the Breakworld storyline for the most part, although it has drug on for way too long. I just read that it concludes in Giant-Sized Astonishing X-Men #1. ...in May...

I love Kitty and if he kills her, I'll be sad but c'est la morte. Some other writer will just resurrect her at some point I'm sure. It is comics y'know. And Marvel comics in particular seem to thrive on resurrected characters -although DC certainly has their fair share as well.

--------------------
Is that a moon?

From: Portland, OR | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.