Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Lardy's Roundtable (Gym'll's Ed.): Ultimate Superman? (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  36  37  38   
Author Topic: Lardy's Roundtable (Gym'll's Ed.): Ultimate Superman?
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
Cobie, thanks a lot for the detailed answer regarding Millar. Truth is, I gave Millar a fair chance with his first few issues of FF, and I found it to be like Busiek's Avengers: dull, derivative, overly reverent -- not to mention a waste of Bryan Hitch's considerable artistic talent. But who knows? Maybe one day, when he's no longer King of the Mountain (we know that day is coming), and he actually has to prove himself a worthy writer, he might pleasantly surprise me.

Millar did time at DC in the 90's- a brief stint on FLASH and JLA that were great stories, not blockbusters like his current output. He certainly is caught up in the hype machine- both his and Marvel's doing.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ceej, I don't recall runs on Flash or JLA, though that seems familiar. Remember any story details or when/where they occurred in relation to other runs on those titles?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
His JLA story was the Amazo/Atom tale before Morrison's run ended. He and Morrison both filled in for Mark Waid on FLASH when Waid took a break, issues 131-138, soon to be in tpb.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LardLad:
And Cobester...just to clarify, I'd easily put the entirety of Shade and SMT among my Top Ten favorite comic book runs of all time! ( [Hmmm?] sounds like I've gotta nother list to compile soon....)

Sold. (But it might take me awhile since I'm already doing a bunch of other reading projects [Big Grin] ). But I'll give Shade another try and I'm really looking forward to checking out SMT. And Grendel. AND Mage...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - those Morrison/Millar issues on Flash were actually really good. I highly reccomend them. Particularly the 3 parter where he's racing those aliens for Earth's survival--its a classic Silver Age concept done really well in a modern style.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Sold. (But it might take me awhile since I'm already doing a bunch of other reading projects [Big Grin] ). But I'll give Shade another try and I'm really looking forward to checking out SMT. And Grendel. AND Mage...

I'll settle for you focussing on Scalped, Walking dead & Invincible for now....

(Don't worry, you know I'm doing my part by starting on Fables and Umbrella Academy--and probably House of Mystery and Agents of Atlas, soon! [Big Grin] )

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LardLad:
It did lose something after Kathy, er, left the title. My memory's really fuzzy, though, since I haven't read them in about a decade--but didn't Kathy...return...toward the end of the series?

Yes, the very last issue had a "reset button" of sorts where Shade went back in time and stopped both Grenzer and the American Scream before they really got started. Obviously this changed things radically (which at least explained why there wasn't SOME reaction in the the rest of the DCU/Vertigoverse to the destruction of San Francisco, something that bothered me throughout the whole series). Shade gave Kathy her journals from his time line and after reading them she decided to join him and Lenny, reuniting the three of them.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
His JLA story was the Amazo/Atom tale before Morrison's run ended. He and Morrison both filled in for Mark Waid on FLASH when Waid took a break, issues 131-138, soon to be in tpb.

It was actually 130-141, 12 issues broken into 4, 3-issue mini arcs. They later said in an interview that they basically alternated writing arcs but left both names on the cover. They never admitted who wrote what, but it's not hard to tell.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Anyone interested in listing their Top 10 Favorite Runs in comics? I've been thinking about it since I told Des what I thought about Shade and Sandman Mystery Theatre. I'll have to give it some more really deep thought, though. As I sort them mentally, I'm surprised somewhat at what runs will make my cut and especially which ones apparently won't.

Two things that really come into play for me in my thought process are: 1) Runs that are still ongoing or haven't had enough years to percolate probably won't make the cut--only one recently-ended one might, and 2) Runs that I experienced mostly as trades, reprints or back issues will not likely make my cut as the "in the moment" connection means a lot to me.

Don't get me wrong...these aren't the rules I want you to follow, should you decide to participate, but those are shaping up to my personal guidelines.

And it looks like Vertigo will be pretty well represented on mine......

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

That would be really difficult for me too, as the entire basis of my comic book reading career is rooted in Silver Age Marvel Comics, and then also in the entire histories of specific characters (Spidey, Thor, Iron Man, Legion, Batman, etc.).

To me of course, difficult = fun, so I'll have to give it some more thought. I can think of at least one Vertigo run that would probably make my cut (Preacher).

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I think I've got my Top 7 figured out (if not their exact order), so it's a matter, now, of whittling the remaining three from over a dozen candidates!

--------------------

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Coming up with a top 10 is harder than I thought. In this day and age, where a run is 12-24 issues, does that really seem comparable to, say PAD's HULK run?
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Walt Simonson's run on Thor is my first choice.

The Perez/Wolfman Teen Titans relauch would be up there, too.

Does the first couple years of the Elementals comic count as a 'run?'

The first few years of Exiles? Power Company? The first few years of Young Justice? The initial run of Thunderbolts, back when Jolt was a member?

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

In my mind a 'run' must be more than 12 issues. Maybe 18 minimum? Or is that too long.

Certainly, Frank Miller on Daredevil the first time was a 'Run'. The Second time, even though I consider it one of the best superhero stories of all time, was just a story.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I'd say what is considered a "run" is up to the individual. Everything you've mentioned, Set, satisfies my personal criteria. But if someone thinks that highly of a 6-issue story arc or whatever, I don't begrudge him putting that on his list.Personally, everything I'm considering for my personal list meets the basic criteria of having at least the same writer for 20 or more issues. The shortest run I'm considering is exactly 24 issues. Most are significantly longer. But different people think of it different ways, and that should be a fun, intriguing part of the conversation!

For example, I'm leaving out of my list any run that's currently ongoing because, in my mind, I haven't been able to let it percolate and see how it stands up because it's unfinished and, well, needs some seasoning, I guess. Of the seven I've finalized, one ended about a year ago, but the other six are a minimum of about a decade old.

It should be fun to see what everyone comes up with!

--------------------

This topic comprises 38 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  36  37  38   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.