Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews! (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews!
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Does anyone think DC will ever follow Marvel's example and put complete runs of comics on DVD? I keep hoping for this, but I doubt it will happen. I bet DC would lose too much money on the overpriced Archives if they put complete runs of Batman or Superman on disk. Any thoughts?

By the way Eryk, I love your reviews!

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
There was a typo in the table of contents in the Brave & Bold Showcase. For the Flash team-up entitled "But Bork Can Hurt You" it is listed as "But Cork Can Hurt You".

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lance's realm:
Does anyone think DC will ever follow Marvel's example and put complete runs of comics on DVD? I keep hoping for this, but I doubt it will happen. I bet DC would lose too much money on the overpriced Archives if they put complete runs of Batman or Superman on disk. Any thoughts?

I'm guessing they'll wait until the Archives line is no longer making money to do so (they're already beginning to cut back on Archives to focus on Showcases). I have mixed feelings about this idea. In principle, I'd much rather read the stories in some kind of book form rather than on the computer. But the idea of having a single disk that has 70 years of Superman or Batman is appealing for its convenience.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
There's a kind of cool villain introduced near the end, called "Multi-Man", who gains immortality from an ancient formula. The way it works is that the formula gives him super-powers, but every time he dies, he's reincarnated with a new super-power.

This is the guy who eventually ends up in the Giffen/Dematteis Injustice League, right?

Wow! I had no idea! That's cool if true.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Okay, I just looked up "Multi-Man" on Wikipedia, and apparently he had the revival in the 1990s! He also apparently had a key appearance in the "Last Laugh" crossover!
Eryk Davis Ester

Long-time readers of this thread will note that I was somewhat dissatisfied with the first JLA Showcase. Well, having begun reading the second one, it seems quite a bit more to my liking.

The fact that it begins with a story about a tornado creature with the worst case of MPD ever certainly helps! And perhaps the dumbest Aquaman dialogue ever: "I've summoned those flying fish to drop a Portuguese man-o-war on our tornado foe!" Uh, don't get me wrong, man-o-war's are scary and everything, but what use are they against a tornado? Well, at least they have Green Arrow on the team to make Aquaman seem useful by comparison.

Anyway, this book features more intergalactic and other-dimensional conquerors than you can shake a stick at, and tons of people trying to steal the JLAers "super-energies", whatever that means. I'm particularly enjoying the Atom as a character, though, so I'm really looking forward to his upcoming Showcase!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Holy Moley! I've almost finished all of the Shazam Showcase!

I just read a story in which lesbians are given powers by Mr. Mind and then defeat Captain Marvel by kissing him!

Heh! Is that the "Rainbow Squad" issue? I can vaguely recall a few of those old 70s SHAZAM issues! I think I'll make this my next Showcase purchase.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
COMING THIS SUMMER. Looks to be a great line-up.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATMAN VOL. 2 TP
SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE ATOM VOL. 1 TP

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATGIRL VOL. 1 TP
SHOWCASE PRESENTS: MARTIAN MANHUNTER VOL. 1 TP

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: ADAM STRANGE VOL. 1 TP
SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WONDER WOMAN VOL. 1 TP

And also coming in glorious colour (because FC mentioned it in the Darwyn Cooke thread):

SUPERMAN: THE AMAZING TRANSFORMATIONS OF JIMMY OLSEN TP
Writers: Otto Binder, Jerry Siegel and others
Artists: Curt Swan, John Forte, Pete Costanza and others
Collects stories from SUPERMAN ' S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #22, 28, 31-33, 41, 42, 44, 49, 53, 59, 65, 69, 72, 77, 80, 85 and 105
$14.99 US, 192 pages

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
quote:
Holy Moley! I've almost finished all of the Shazam Showcase!

I just read a story in which lesbians are given powers by Mr. Mind and then defeat Captain Marvel by kissing him!

Heh! Is that the "Rainbow Squad" issue? I can vaguely recall a few of those old 70s SHAZAM issues! I think I'll make this my next Showcase purchase.
I think you'll really enjoy them!
Eryk Davis Ester

Well, I've finished reading JLA Volume 2. While I did like it better overall than the first volume, I'm still not a huge fan of the style of stories that take up a lot of these issues. There's just a few too many villains with really poorly defined powers who use those powers for incredibly implausible schemes. It's like they can do basically anything, but then they choose to attack the JLA in the most convoluted manner possible. Come to think of it, that's the same complaint that's often lodged against the Super Friends cartoon, but somehow I always assumed the comics weren't quite as bad.

Anyway, probably the coolest part about this volume is the first two JLA/JSA teamups. Well, the first one isn't really all that great, but the second one introduces the Crime Syndicate, who are pretty close to my all time favorite villains. It was nice finally getting to see their first appearance.

I was also surprised that Doctor Destiny was such a major villain in those early days, and I kind of enjoyed his appearances. I also found myself really liking the Atom as a character, so I'm really looking forward to his Showcase volume coming out.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's what EDE will be reviewing in the fall...

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATGIRL VOL. 1 TP
Writers: Gardner Fox, Cary Bates, Bob Haney, Mike Friedrich, Robert Kanigher, Frank Robbins, Dennis O ' Neil and Elliot S. Maggin
Artists: Carmine Infantino, Curt Swan, Frank Springer, Gil Kane, Bob Brown, Win Mortimer, Irv Novick, Don Heck, Mike Sekowsky, Neal Adams and others
Collects stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #359, 363, 369, 371, 384, 385, 388, 389, 392, 393, 396, 397, 400, 401, 404, 405-424, BATMAN #197, ADVENTURE COMICS #381, WORLD ' S FINEST COMICS #169 and 176, THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #78, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #60 and SUPERMAN #268 and 279
$16.99 US, 520 pages

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: MARTIAN MANHUNTER VOL. 1 TP
Writers: Jack Miller, Joe Samachson and Dave Wood
Artists: Joe Certa
Collects stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #225-305
$16.99 US, 522 pages

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: ADAM STRANGE VOL. 1 TP
Writer: Gardner Fox
Artists: Mike Sekowsky, Carmine Infantino, Gil Kane, Murphy Anderson and others
Collects stories from SHOWCASE #17-19 and MYSTERY IN SPACE #53-84
$16.99 US, 512 pages

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: WONDER WOMAN VOL. 1 TP
Writer: Robert Kanigher
Artists: Ross Andru and Mike Esposito
Collects stories from WONDER WOMAN #98-117
$16.99 US, 528 pages

I'm looking forward to Wondy and Adam Strange. Believe it or not, I haven't bought a SHOWCASE yet, but I'll definitely be picking those two up.

I don't think I've ever read an early MARTIAN MANHUNTER story, so that one has me curious.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

From what I understand, the early MM stories have him undercover through a huge portion of the run. He doesn't actually develop a conventional "super-hero" identity until rather late in the game.

As I've never been a huge fan of the character, I'm already predicting that my response is going to be that he worked best before they tried to turn him into a super-hero.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't *wait* to read your reactions to 'Wonder Tot', whose debut will be chronicled in the pages of WW's SHOWCASE #1!

MM's status as detective, rather than superhero, arouses my curiosity. No costume till later, then, I take it?

Does he shape-change, I wonder? Guess we'll find out in the summer.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Phantom Stranger + Doctor Thirteen = Crazy Delicious!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Cool!

When I finally follow-up and buy some of these, I might buy the Wonder Woman one too, as I don't think I've ever read a single WW comic pre-Perez.

I recently read all those JLA issues too Eryk and agree completely. Its almost more fun to just read the JLA/JSA team-ups during that era right there! I think the next few team-ups are some of the best overall (I love the one where Larry Lance makes the ultimate sacrifice in the end).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.