Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Uncanny X-Men (Spoilers!) (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Uncanny X-Men (Spoilers!)
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked it! I am a bit over Havok and Polaris to tell the truth. And poor Lorna suffers from that "getting too complicated" character. But ohwell. Alex I am guessing is in it cause of the Summer's brother stuff.

Besides that I really love the rest of the cast. I've always been a huge Warpath fan. Looks like he's gonna get his due with lots of cool scenes!

Huge Nightcrawler fan. (current costume...yuck). And I love Rachel as well. The Phoenix/Shiar stuff is gonna get crazy.

Also I just read Deadly Genesis as well the entire X-Men The End series. This storyline touches lots of both.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, the twelve-issue 'Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire' just concluded. It was an OK story with some good moments, but in the end, disappointing.

Key results:

Click Here For A Spoiler Xavier's got his mojo back. Corsair's dead, slain by his son, Vulcan. Who is now married to Deathbird and wears the crown of the Shi'ar Empire. Prof X, Warbird, Nightcrawler and Darwin are back on Earth, along with Hepzibah, who mourns her lover, Corsair. A reconfigured Starjammers now includes Havok, Polaris and Rachel Grey alongside the more traditional 'Jammers. They've vowed to 'take down Vulcan' and restore Lilandra to the throne. (With the editorial promise of 'being seen again soon'... Throw in some complex Imperial Guard members, a beat-down for the repulsive Vulcan and the breaking of that ridiculous giant sword-thingie that sucked the life out of this storyline and *I'm* there).

I don't know that I'd recommend this to non-fans, now that it's over and will soon be in TPB. If you're a big fan of Alex and Lorna, like I am, you might like seeing them apparently start the journey back to each other, but be warned, their scenes are few and far between. There *is* a good Imperial Guard battle in the middle of the run, but it gets a bit bloody for bloody's sake.

[ May 16, 2007, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Mystery Lad, haven't read it yet but I've been enjoying Uncanny lots. Love the story and art plus characters.

That is a strange ending. I'm going to have to read it.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Well, the twelve-issue 'Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire' just concluded. It was an OK story with some good moments, but in the end, disappointing.

Key results:

Click Here For A Spoiler Xavier's got his mojo back. Corsair's dead, slain by his son, Vulcan. Who is now married to Deathbird and wears the crown of the Shi'ar Empire. Prof X, Warbird, Nightcrawler and Darwin are back on Earth, along with Hepzibah, who mourns her lover, Corsair. A reconfigured Starjammers now includes Havok, Polaris and Rachel Grey alongside the more traditional 'Jammers. They've vowed to 'take down Vulcan' and restore Lilandra to the throne. (With the editorial promise of 'being seen again soon'... Throw in some complex Imperial Guard members, a beat-down for the repulsive Vulcan and the breaking of that ridiculous giant sword-thingie that sucked the life out of this storyline and *I'm* there).

I don't know that I'd recommend this to non-fans, now that it's over and will soon be in TPB. If you're a big fan of Alex and Lorna, like I am, you might like seeing them apparently start the journey back to each other, but be warned, their scenes are few and far between. There *is* a good Imperial Guard battle in the middle of the run, but it gets a bit bloody for bloody's sake.

(Rant Alert)

I wouldn't recommend this story to anyone!

The only thing about it that I liked is that it turned me into a Warpath fangirl (previously, I'd only known him from his first appearance in that special issue of Uncanny X-Men from the Claremont/Romita era -- I never got into X-Force, which was, of course, where Warpath had made most of his earlier appearances.)

This story started out with such promise -- and I would say I liked it up to that last-page cliffhanger where the Imperial Guard are ordering Vulcan to surrender.

But the actual battle between the Imperial Guard and Vulcan? [Mad] AAAAARGH! [Mad] Brubaker KILLED OFF SMASHER! @^#$%&^&*! And Brubaker made the Guard look like amateurs. Instead of defeating Vulcan through teamwork, they were all struck down by him until only Gladiator was left. &^(&*^)*(**&*! And then, to add insult to injury, Brubaker had the Guard follow Vulcan and Deathbird, turning them into cowards (as one of the X-Men remarked!) I love the Imperial Guard, and I HATE what was done to them in this story!

And what did this story manage to do in the end?? It reset the status quo of the Shi'ar to the way it was circa 1984, and it killed off Corsair so that Havok could lead the Starjammers with Polaris by his side. ONCE AGAIN, Alex and Lorna get royally screwed by a writer -- heaven knows how many years it'll take before they're back on Earth where they belong.

IMO, Brubaker is yet another writer who is good at down-to-earth stuff like Captain America, but terrible at mainstream superhero teams. I'm dropping Uncanny X-Men from my pull list.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
(Rant Alert)

The only thing about it that I liked is that it turned me into a Warpath fangirl (previously, I'd only known him from his first appearance in that special issue of Uncanny X-Men from the Claremont/Romita era -- I never got into X-Force, which was, of course, where Warpath had made most of his earlier appearances.)

Really? What was so great about him? I was a big fan in the New Mutant days, but he bored me in X-Force.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read any of his X-Force appearances, except for a second printing of X-Force # 1, which was awful. I haven't read any of his New Mutants appearances either, because my New Mutants collection is spotty on either side of the Claremont/Sinkiewicz run.

What made me a Warpath fangirl was how he was portrayed by Brubaker -- as a tough, self-confident warrior. It's the only thing that Brubaker got right, as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good to know. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

I'm a Warpath fan from his X-Force days. I just think John Francis Moore did a good job with him overall. The character never became a strong guy stereotype. I think Brubaker is expanding that. The guy is tough and a strong man but not the lumbering/slow minded big man we are used to.

And I'm tired of seeing the Imperial Guard as cannon fodder.

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

You know I just read this earlier today. I liked it personally. Art sometimes forgives many things.

I expected a more epic battle. It was nice to see Havok, Phoenix, and Polaris take it to Vulcan. The Imperial Guard shouldn't have even been there. They suffer from the syndrome that many artists like to draw them and many writers don't know what to do with them.

Corsar dies? Sad. A mistake? In this issue having Havok replace him makes sense and sounds good. But in the long run? When a writer decides the space adventures are not for Alex? Who fills the void? That Shiar guy with the sword? Well he is really cool. [Wink]

I love the art to this book! It just rocks! I love the lineup! I love Darwin! I loved the overall plot and character moments.

So Warpath and Hepzidah(sp)? She might be too much for him to handle. Lead him down a bad path? He's a big boy. [Wink]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

The new Starjammers look good. But who are the new Uncanny X-Men? Nightcrawler, Warpath, Darwin, Charlie, and Hep? Not sure that's my favorite lineup.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Am I bumping the wrong thread? I couldn't find another one for Uncanny. Perhaps there should be a 'catch-all' thread for the main three X-titles.

Well, I'm actually loving the current arc. Specifically, the latest issue with the Skids revelation.

I've always loved Skids, and may have had a slight crush on her in an earlier life, so the reveal was quite awesome for me.
Click Here For A SpoilerShe is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. - I hope she joins this team, given its recent decrease in roster!

With Havok, Polaris and Rachel out of the picture for a bit (if anyone buys that mini let me know if its good), I'm enjoying Hepzibah sticking around and Caliban showing up. In addition to the person I mentioned in the spoiler joining, I don't mind Hepzibah staying, though Caliban is more a character I prefer on the outskirts.

Warpath is great and I'm enjoying seeing Storm back heavily with the X-Men, as her co-starring role in Black Panther and Fantastic Four mean little since both titles are an absolute failure in quality and content (needless to say, IMO). Nightcrawler and Prof X, while really not doing much right now, are also welcome, and I'm interested in what's next. I wish the Thing could have done more with them in the latest issue however.

In fact, I'm interested in how this relates to the current story in X-Men and the Messiah Complex, given that Magneto is being called for by the Morlocks. I've always liked the Morlocks, particularly Masque b/c he's such an outright bastard of an enemy.

I am glad that with both main teams changing and Astonishing coming to a close with Joss Whedon that we're getting a kind of 'transition phase' in the rosters where we see what the various X-Men are doing, rather than the traditional 'reshuffle' of the last few years where one issue suddenly the rosters are all changed and fixed.

Brubaker is by far Marvel's best writer right now as proven by Cap and Daredevil. This comic isn't quite as good as those comics, but I am enjoying it.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Am I bumping the wrong thread?

Yes.

quote:
I couldn't find another one for Uncanny.

No.

Seven-pager = http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000964 [Smile]

quote:
I've always loved Skids, and may have had a slight crush on her in an earlier life, so the reveal was quite awesome for me.
Click Here For A SpoilerShe is an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. - I hope she joins this team, given its recent decrease in roster!

Glossing over the "only good guy to join Apocalypse of her own free will in Blood of Apocalypse" (except Gambit, but...) thing, huh?

quote:
I've always liked the Morlocks, particularly Masque b/c he's such an outright bastard of an enemy.

He was also very, very dead...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Ooops [Big Grin] Jillikers--how I'm supposed to keep track of two large threads? I could ask a mod to delete our posts and we could redo them in that other one 'Boot, if it'd keep things more in line...

...if not:
So, where and when did Masque die?

Also, completely forgot about Skids in Blood of Apocalypse. Care to summarize? You know you're my encyclopedia for bits of the recent MU that I forget/can't keep track of. Is 'BoA' the Milligan story?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Ooops [Big Grin] Jillikers--how I'm supposed to keep track of two large threads? I could ask a mod to delete our posts and we could redo them in that other one 'Boot, if it'd keep things more in line...

The original post'll probably need to be slotted in somewhere, and that's the bigger difficulty. If that's already being done, it shouldn't be harder to add three or four posts than one, provided they can go at the very end (i.e., whatever you do, don't bump the long thread until they're merged). It's pretty much what's described here to a slightly different end.

quote:
So, where and when did Masque die?

X-Force #9. Shatterstar kills him on Cable's orders, since they said they'd kill him if he attacked again (plus, he started a fight that got Cannonball killed. Although he, much to his own and their surprise, Got Better soon after). He was run through with two double-bladed swords, thrown up in the air and down again. Lots of blood.

This then leads into all the Morlocks whose appearances were altered by him at some stage going insane (because, with him dead, they start to... degrade) and being taken to another dimension by Mikhail Rasputin.

quote:
Also, completely forgot about Skids in Blood of Apocalypse. Care to summarize? You know you're my encyclopedia for bits of the recent MU that I forget/can't keep track of. Is 'BoA' the Milligan story?

Yeah. Polaris and Gazer got forced/brainwashed into being Horsemen, the legless Sunfire changed his mind but, when trying to save the altered Gazer, was bumped right back (he was the first to break free), while Gambit volunteered for the Horsemen treatment. Otherwise, Scalphunter [Marauder], Fever Pitch [Gene Nation] and Skids sided with 'Poccy of their own free will.

[ August 29, 2007, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.