Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Solicits Thread: Now covering December 2011 (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Solicits Thread: Now covering December 2011
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
So Birds of Prey and Titans are no longer under the Brightest Day banner.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm looking at this newly-announced Chaos War stuff and thinking... wait, did no-one talk to DnA about this, since they're telling a suspiciously-similar story in many respects in Thanos Imperative right now?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
They're trying to make out something really bad is going to happen to the New Mutants. At least it looks like Dani and Illyana survive, but will they still be on the team?

Wonder Woman is dealing with the Morrigan. Neat. Has she fought Celtic gods before?

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Not that I know of.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Just saw Francesco Francavilla is doing the artwork for the Jim Gordon co-feature in Detective. All I can say is AWESOME! I've been praising his Zorro stuff so much in the last year that I'm like a broken record. Even more excited to see him team-up with Scott Snyder from American Vampire.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Other random thoughts:

- Daredevil ending at the close of Shadowland? Sounds lame.

- I notice Keith Giffen is doing a lot of pencils this month! Doom Patrol *and* Outsiders. Of course, the chances of me picking up Outsiders are less than me winning Power Ball that month (in which case, I will pay comic book stores to not order it because Dan Didio is writing).

- Dave Johnson is doing the cover to Freedom Fighters; I recently noticed his stand-out cover art on Gorilla Man. Does he ever do monthly interiors? I find his art very appealing.

- One of my favorites, Jordi Bernet (from Jonah Hex) is teaming with Walt Simonson for what looks like another outstanding Spirit back-up. Meanwhile in Hex, he's doing a story on Mai Ling, Jonah's rarely mentioned wife.

- DC joins Marvel in publishing random one-shots by doing a Nightmaster one-shot. Marvel still is king of this though.

- It SUCKS that Madame Xanadu is ending. If this is only because DC wants to rope it back into the main universe, then I hope whoever made that decision gets herpes a common cold (especially if the relaunch doesn't include Wagner).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Other random thoughts:

- DC joins Marvel in publishing random one-shots by doing a Nightmaster one-shot. Marvel still is king of this though.

They are doing a Ragman one-shot the month before. I wonder if this is a Shadowpact thing or maybe testing the waters on the mystical heroes leading up to something (Swamp Thing return maybe)?
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^About Madame Xanadu, didn't I read somewhere that Wagner was originally pnly going to do the opening ten-issue arc but was inspired by Reeder's art to stay on? Obviously, he nearly tripled that, but maybe he was going to leave anyway since Reeder was segueing over to Batwoman and other projects.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Dynamite's solicitations are out. LOVE that Dark Knight Returns homage on Boys (the best book Cobalt's not reading) #48! HILARIOUS!

"Lone Ranger & Tonto #4"? Did the series get relaunched? There's no issue of the ongoing solicited, and the creative team looks the same. WTF? (I've only bought and read the first trade so far but look forward to more!)

Also, again...TWO MANY DAMN GREEN HORNET BOOKS! All this overkill for a character who's appeal is so fairly obscure that saying he has a "cult" following seems an exagerration? I know there's the upcoming movie, but scuttlebutt has it more than likely being a sucktastic flop a la Jonah Hex when it eventually gets released! I know Year One and Kevin Smith's version get excellent-to-decent reviews, but 8 different floppies (plus a trade) in November alone?!?! Are people REALLY buying all this filler from Dynamite?!?!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:

"Lone Ranger & Tonto #4"? Did the series get relaunched? There's no issue of the ongoing solicited, and the creative team looks the same. WTF? (I've only bought and read the first trade so far but look forward to more!)

Also, again...TWO MANY DAMN GREEN HORNET BOOKS! All this overkill for a character who's appeal is so fairly obscure that saying he has a "cult" following seems an exagerration? I know there's the upcoming movie, but scuttlebutt has it more than likely being a sucktastic flop a la Jonah Hex when it eventually gets released! I know Year One and Kevin Smith's version get excellent-to-decent reviews, but 8 different floppies (plus a trade) in November alone?!?! Are people REALLY buying all this filler from Dynamite?!?!

Lone Ranger & Tonto is the title for the specials and one-offs they've done while the main book trundles along. Lone Ranger #23 came out last week.

Cobie, Cramer, and I (and I'm sure others here) have all questioned the wisdom of pumping out so much Green Hornet stuff at once. I only get the Year One and Kevin Smith books. The glut of product hurt the last version that Now (IIRC) put out, and I can't believe it's helping now.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Ah. I take it LR has an irregular shipping schedule? Can't blame 'em if that's what it takes to get as much Cariello art as possible! [Love]

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
Ah. I take it LR has an irregular shipping schedule? Can't blame 'em if that's what it takes to get as much Cariello art as possible! [Love]

"Irregular" is putting it lightly.

But the book is good enough that I'm sticking with it.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

It's fine with me as trades will be the way to go for me. I'm glad they're accomodating Cariello for this series. Odd that they wouldn't do the same for Darick Robertson on The Boys. [shrug]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yeah, in the Green Hornet thread you'll see me continually try to hide my complaints of the sheer amount of Green Hornet titles in the form of speculation (as I'm apt to do [Big Grin] ). The Dynamite threads, based on the Vampirella and John Carter, Warlord of Mars variants feel like they're mainly "tits & Green Hornet". I am glad to see a Lone Ranger & Tonto comic in there--I actually did not know about previous ones though! I'll have to hunt for them.

I actually will probably sample the John Carter series, but I've never been a fan of Vampirella before. "Bullet to the Head" looks interesting and I've heard good things about Matz, the French writer, who has had a lot of work published by Archaia.

Collider Entertainment, the new imprint, apepars to be somethinge will be publishing (I initially thought it was it's own publisher, but I see it's more like 'Man of Action', as its own imprint through Image). Their first comic, "Utopian", may be something good; Guggenheim is very hit or miss with me.

Steven Seagle & Kelly Jones' 'The Crusades' (originally published by Vertigo) is given the trade treatment by Image. Did anyone ever collect this? I know several LWers were fans of Seagle's Vertigo stuff.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I tried "The Crusades". It had its charms, but I ultimately dropped it 5-10 issues in. Basically, it was about a mysterious, powerful killer knight in armor appearing in San Francisco and terrorizing San Francisco's criminal element. The main character was a radio shock-jock who used the knight to story to further his own career.

It moved very slowly, and Kelly really abused his tendency to distort faces and figures with no apparent purpose. IMO, it's a definite skip.

Seagle's later projects really lacked the luster his Sandman Mystery Theatre and House of Secrets series had. (Those two were frickin' TERRIFIC!) He may have disappeared for a while due to burnout, judging by such projects as Crusades and that crappy Superman run.

Apparently, though, his OGN "It's a Bird" was a big exception to the decline in the quality of his books. Never read it, however.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.