Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Freedom Fighters (spoilers) (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Freedom Fighters (spoilers)
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll check it out, but I'm not 100% sold yet.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
After their PG run, I want to read this. I would be reading their JH, but my lcs had a problem getting me the book back then... so I never got into it.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Did anyone read FREEDOM FIGHTERS # 1?

I thought it was pretty good, but the cast has been cut down to a mere 6 members.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought #1 and #2 of the relaunched Freedom Fighters have been okay so far, but the series hasn't been anything to go crazy about (which correlates with what I thought of the last miniseries).

I was left wondering where Doll Man and the others were!

Freedom Fighters is a series where the political overtones are part and parcel, and so being heavy handed isn't really out of the ordinary...and I don't mind that actually. What I would like is some of that crazy sci-fi they had going on in the first miniseries, a la Gonzo the Robot President and such.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I read # 2... wow, the team really got their asses beat. I felt the pain when Uncle Sam went down at the end. I'm not in love with it or anything, but I'm still interested in how this can be resolved so that's good.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#4 did a lot to restore my faith in the creative team. Loved seeing Miss America, thankfully free of that Miss Cosmos moniker, back to lead the team during Uncle Sam's temporary (we learn) death-relared absence. I wonder if he'll look the same when next he appears? Or if he'll sound the same? I hope he isn't going to start rapping or talking in stock tips or something if he inhabits the body of a man who would speak in those terms. By that, I mean I like his folksy delivery and tone and would miss it if gone.

I love that the writers are updating another Golden Age character in the Jester. Is he a bad guy or a really pissed off good guy with an agenda? Don't know yet, but I'm hoping he joins the Freedom Fighters, rather than makes enemies of them.

I'm really hoping for some character work on the FFers- what is The Ray really thinking these days, for example? Or Firebrand- how is he adapting to his new life?

Of course, I want updates on all the characters who were featured in the two minis, but I can wait for those.

I think a team-up with this team aiding a Freedom Fighters team on Earth X is in order-- or fighting them. What if this FF team had cause to *aid* the Nazis of that Earth this time around?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I love that one villainess, Funerella. I love the name, the look, and the personality.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Funerella impressed the heck out of me too.

Just put # 4 down and I agree that it restores a lot of my lost confidence in a GreyPal FF series.

1-3 have been okay reads, but # 4 is the first I've found to be an enjoyable read.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The "meat and potatoes" bit reminded me of Psycho-Pirate from Animal Man.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#5: King Bullet and gang remind me of the Inferno babies now terrorizing the New Mutants over at Marvel. I kind of respect their struggle, but their methods- well, they're the stuff of comic book fights, aren't they? Which we got last issue and continue to get in this one. Some of the FFers go down a little too easily, even without their powers.

Funerella and Pharyngula are great new baddies with distinctive peronalities and visuals. Plus, they're totally bat***t insane! The creators want us to like, or like to dislike, King Bullet, but I would rather have been more formally introduced to some of the more interesting looking inmates.

King Bullet's a good bad-guy match for Firebrand, though. They can have battles where they talk for an hour before doing anything.

Given the cover, I know I should know better, I expected more Miss America. Maybe next issue?

I missied the continuation of The Jester's story. Hopefully, next issue.

I'm curious about Sherman's Wrath. Bet it'll figure in the FFers escape.

Black Condor gets quite a scene, battling Sea Wolf! Or are those all Underlings, without Sea Wolf appearing yet? There's one panel that I think's him, but I'm not positive. As always, Palmiotti and Gray excel at seamlessly inserting characters from the past into the Freedom Fighters saga. I freakin' love that about their work! Here, it's Sea Wolf. I hope we get a bit of his back-story.

The issue ends with a very freaky page showing Phantom Lady surrounded by skeletons, saying the line "they must breed to eat". Which confused me for a bit, till I decided I was reading more into it than was meant.

If you aren't reading this title and have any interest, pick up #s 4 and 5. I think you'll enjoy them and heaven knows, FREEDOM FIGHTERS needs the sales. I'd like it to be around awhile!

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yeah # 5 continues the upward trend of # 4 and MLad's right, 4 and 5 are the place to start if you want to sample Freedom Fighters.

Yeah these new villains are CRAZY badass-- I think we are going to lose some of them when they try to rescue Phantom Lady for a way out.

I do hope Funerella makes it out okay... too bad a power like she has pretty much destroys any chance of one ever being on the side of good.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
After being a bit disappointed by the opening 3 issues, I found both #4 and #4 of the Freedom Fighters to take the series up a notch and actually be very good! The creative team all seems to be meshing together nicely now and things are moving along plotwise in an interesting fashion, while the characters are (at last) becoming more than just clichés. The potential for this series—to be a true sci-fi comic with heavy political and social commentary (sometimes so extreme that’s its parody) feels like it’s being reached here. When it fails, it fails real hard (as some of Graypal’s previous US&FF stories) but when it works, it provides a unique comic that is a lot of fun.

Some of the really cool sci-fi concepts are little things: the anti-hostage technology (a homing beacon implanted in the VP’s hand) and the metahuman hormone taken by the guards are quick, but cool concepts to include.

The cast of super-villains are very well done too, and I like seeing new threats like this emerge. I’m curious if they are all new or a combination of that with recasting some Golden Age Quality villains?

The usage of the Golden Age Jester is very welcome here, and I like that his motivations (and that of his grandson) are very complex, making for a more exciting story.

The art by Travis Moore and Trevor Scott is starting to grow on me now; it’s very dynamic and the action-oriented nature of it builds the excitement as each issue goes. Also love the cover of #5 featuring Miss America by Dave Johnson (who I wish would draw interiors sometime).

The plot for the opening arc has really become very complex and that’s definitely a good thing IMO. Combined with the action & constant character interaction FF went from a ‘meh’ title to being highly enjoyable!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

FREEDOM FIGHTERS #6: Miss America: "Speak for yourself, Human Bomb" spoken as we see she is the second FFer to exert enough will to overcome the slave-collar-thingie and rip it off her neck. But then she's willing to let all those people die while effecting the FF's escape? And then drives off teammates? And then conscripts Doll Man against his will? What the Cosmos is up with The Miss? Maybe that strong will's been turned in on itself?

These scenes also show Phantom Lady speaking up to Miss America, evoking Uncle Sam and what he wouldn't do. This was nice to read coming from her, showing her (tentative) growth. The Ray or Firebrand would've been more obvious choices. Andre's injured and spouting crap, which I think should be ignored, considering his pain. Don't know what The Ray's excuse is- he hasn't really 'shown up' as the hero he usually is yet.

The Jester is creeeepy- with his Revolutionary bewigged and bepowdered flunkies. I kind of love that (the Revolutionary drag, not the creepy), I still want The Jester to *not* be a villain, though that wish is looking less and less likely to come true.

Condor and Stormy- I like this pairing more than any recent superhero hook-up I can think of, even if she's using him as a crutch/one step backwards after her speech/two steps forward.

I find the concluding scene very upsetting. Is it possible this Miss is another robot? Though I do wonder who else is on her list to conscript, if anyone is?

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Wow... # 6 continued the upward trend for FF!

Yeah I'm a bit worried about our Miss myself. Don't want another FFer going bad.

--------------------

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
well I am hoping that that Miss America is a fake and robot and Uncle Sam turns up alive and brings the REAL Miss Cosmos! grrr....
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.