Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Agents of Atlas (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Agents of Atlas
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I concur with the awesomeness of the first issue! The art's fantastic and I greatly enjoy the team dynamic. One of the defining aspects from the mini was how much the team rallied around Jimmy and it carries through here - it's amazing how a fairly minor SHIELD character contained so much potential for rejuvenation.

Jimmy and his team seem poised for a confrontation with Osborn and his team(s). I'm sure it'll be awesome, but I'm enjoying the more subtle cat and mouse cold war games for now.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Agents of Atlas #2 was great fun! The almost botched arms deal was fun. Very interesting reaction from Namora when M-11 was threatened. What's the deal with that? They obviously have some kind of history, but she kinda lost it there - it was a very effective scene.

The flashback-with-different-art-team device is back, but this time interwoven into the story, Iron Fist style. (or maybe "Lost" style) It makes the previous Wolverine guest appearance seem more than blatant promotion for the first issue. I like that they're taking advantage of the team's history with these views of their past. I'm really hoping for a 3-D Man guest appearance in one of these flashbacks!

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raging Bull
Maverick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raging Bull           Edit/Delete Post     
Issue #2 was terrific. I was a little ticked off that my CBS failed to pull a copy for me, but luckily I found a copy at a store a little farther away.

I also saw a variant-cover second printing of issue #1, so it seems to be selling well so far.

--------------------
♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦

From: The open range | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Re: the last page of AoA #3 -- is it me or does that look like someone swiped a Liefeld drawing of Cap?? (it'd explain the pose, the really thick legs and wrist, and lack of feet) The sharp decline of artisitic quality in that last page was a bit jarring.

Other than that, things are humming along swimmingly - I'm becoming more interested in the flashback story right now, but that could easily change next issue. Nice Namorita tribue too!

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I am enjoying this, but I sort of wish a whole issue would be set in one time or the other. Or an issue would be divided into two stories.

I like the different art for the time periods. Venus should go back to the platinum. It's more goddessy.

The Namorita tribute made me sad. What a waste of a good character (though Marvel put her through the grinder quite a bit).

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

It really wouldn't surprise me if Namorita were brought back using the statue and Atlantean magic/super-science in a Wonder Woman kinda way...
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#5-- And so the con is on. This is a logical and fun way to progress this title in the current MU. Crossovers this early in a title can be deadening. Not so here.

What did you think of the way Venus is used here? With the music notes, diva entrance etc?
One minute I think it fits and is a fun way to depict a nonvisual power- the next I think it's too hokey and campy.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

#6-- The Agents visit a new undersea settlement that's the idealization of the phrase 'too good to be true'. It's rendered beautifully, though- as is the whole issue, IMO.

It's a bit of a break from the action, though there's a flashback or two illuminating Namora's history.

Her attraction to her cousin (who we find out is not blood-related) is explored. It's a nice moment and works well in the context of the story, but I'm not sure pairing Namor and Namora is such a good idea. They're each more interesting with other partners (Herc, for her-- so far, and Sue Richards, Marrina and Emma Frost for him).

I don't expect it's meant to last even in the framework of AOA. I suspect more of that 'too good to be true' stuff's at work.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Finally read #6 and wow, this book continues to get better and better if that is even possible.

From an artistic viewpoint, this was the best issue so far, and one of the best plethoras of undersea imagery I've ever seen. Man, I'd love it if the creative team on AoA had enough time do a Sub-Mariner book.

The Sub-Mariner is getting a lot of screen time throughout the MU lately and thats very welcome. Some places its done very well, like here, and some other places not so much.

As always, each of the Agents shines in their own way and continue to be very unique.

Also loving Derek Khanata's continued involvement and somehow hoping the new Scorpion makes her way into the title through him.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm actually on the verge of dropping this title. It's not that it's bad or anything, but so far the characters just haven't captivated me. That's always the biggest appeal for me in any comic I pick up. They all just seem there to do their thing. I'd love it more if they'd explore what it's like to be a goddess, a robot, an ape-man, an alien, etc. Maybe all that was explored in the original mini (which I don't own), but there's not a lot here to make a new reader a fan of these characters, despite huge potential. It's also hurt a great deal by that ever-present "Dark Reign" banner on every cover. Its too-close affiliation with Marvel's non-event is something that's convinced me to drop another title recently, Invincible Iron Man.

Haven't read issue six yet...maybe it'll change my mind....

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
What's this I hear about Namora and Namor not actually being biologically related?

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

I appreciated Jimmy's comment in the latest issue about how they need to get back on track after spending too long being distrated by Osborn. A sign of the writer's feelings about "Dark Reign" perhaps?? The Osborn storyline started off really well and seemed to offer a lot of potential, but it hasn't really gone anywhere.

I agree about the characterizations so far being not much deeper than their stock types. I hope we see more depth from them soon as well. (except M-11 - the mysteries about his motivations and thinking are a good thing)

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
M-11 has crazy potential!!! I agree that it would be foolish to spill everything about him all at one, but there should be more clues, more puzzling actions on his part and just more teases to keep us going. I think the images of a mysterious killer robot right out of those old cheesy sci-fi movies was the main reason I decided to give this series a try, even moreso than the ape man and the smokin' hot sea chick! More M-11, I say--but not too much more!

quote:
Originally posted by ActorLad:
What's this I hear about Namora and Namor not actually being biologically related?

Yeah, Actor, Issue 5 explained that Namora's father was adopted into the royal family. He and Namor's mother weren't really sibs. Why they both have winged feet is beyond me, though. [Confused] Personally, I'd rather Namora find someone else, though. Namor's such a stick in the mud! [Yes]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
I'm not sure pairing Namor and Namora is such a good idea. They're each more interesting with other partners (Herc, for her-- so far, and Sue Richards, Marrina and Emma Frost for him).

[tangent]
It will never happen, but I would pay real money for Sue to walk away from Reed (who, in Mighty Avengers, is still 'not getting it,' when Sue tells him that he has to apologize to someone and he says, 'What for?' Ben also saw that Reed was out of line, but it seems that Reed increasingly has no idea where 'the line' is.) and hook up with Namor permanantly.

Yeah, I'm a freak. I want Spider-Man to be married again, and the Fantastic Couple to de-couple...
[/tangent]

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Slott's a hack.

I mean, seriously, he goes out of his way to undermine characters like Reed (who Hickman's currently doing a repair-job on in Dark Reign: F4), events like Annihilation, character arcs like Fraction's Iron Man or even Lobe & Pak's Hulk (Pak just made a story out of Hulk's inability to remember Sakaar in Skaar in preparation for his Hulk run, and how doing so automatically knocks Hulk into "World Breaker" mode... but Slott couldn't resist a crude reference in Mighty Avengers that ignored that). When Jeph Bloody Loeb has his writer's head screwed on more than you...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.