Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews! (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
So the SHAZAM volume started out really strong, but then it kind of petered out as it went along. I can definitely understand why a lot of Captain Marvel fans resent the attempt to incorporate him into the "DCU", as he really does seem to work best in his own little crazy corner of reality.

I've now started reading the fantastic JONAH HEX volume, which I've owned for ages but haven't got around to actually reading. What's really amazing is that it's made me realize how great a job Gray and Palmiotti have done with the current series in capturing the spirit of the character.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
Just bought the SHAZAM! Showcase the other day.

This has been my favortie showcase so far by a long shot. Yes, I even liked it better than the Superman Family SC! I'm 2/3 through it already!

Dare I say that the SHAZAM! universe overshadowed even silver age Legion in terms of sheer crazines?

I can't decide who my new all time favorite comic character is. Sunny Sparkle, Mr Tawny, Georgia Sivana and the Electric Grandmother are all in the running...

Its ironic that Capt Marvel's no. 2 catchphrase (after Holey Moley, of course) seems to have been "that sounds logical". Seriously, he said that all the time, despite the fact that the universe he lived in was totally insane.

I may just have to go out and buy all the SHAZAM! archives now...

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I'm really wondering if Golden Age SHAZAM is anywhere near as groovy as 70s SHAZAM! If so, I'm may be on a serious archive buying binge myself!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

April is going to be fun! I don't think I knew this series even existed!

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE WAR THAT TIME FORGOT VOL. 1 TP
Written by Robert Kanigher
Art and cover by Ross Andru & Mike Esposito
Over 500 pages of classic adventures are included in this value-priced volume collecting one of the most unusual series ever from DC Comics! On an unnamed, uncharted Pacific island, dinosaurs continued to thrive while World War II raged across the globe. It's there that members of the U.S. Military found themselves armed only with standard-issue weapons against the deadliest predators ever to roam the Earth!
Advance-solicited; on sale May 2 o 560 pg, B&W, $16.99 US

Eryk Davis Ester

Great gravy! It was apparently even made into a movie!
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Whoa this is the inspiration for the opening sequence of DC:New Frontier, right? I assumed something like this existed. Never thought it'd be reprinted.

This so validates the GI Joe versus Giant Plastic T-Rex sessions of my youth.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I can't believe I discovered this and Space Western in the same week!
Eryk Davis Ester

Back to current reading: while the JONAH HEX volume is fantastic, the last hundred pages are devoted to a few random short-lived Western series. I only find these slightly interesting.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
April is going to be fun! I don't think I knew this series even existed!

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: THE WAR THAT TIME FORGOT VOL. 1 TP
Written by Robert Kanigher
Art and cover by Ross Andru & Mike Esposito
Over 500 pages of classic adventures are included in this value-priced volume collecting one of the most unusual series ever from DC Comics! On an unnamed, uncharted Pacific island, dinosaurs continued to thrive while World War II raged across the globe. It's there that members of the U.S. Military found themselves armed only with standard-issue weapons against the deadliest predators ever to roam the Earth!
Advance-solicited; on sale May 2 o 560 pg, B&W, $16.99 US

Whoa!! You guys have totally missed out on one of the coolest series of the Silver Age! You're totally right Tamper, this is what inspired some of New Frontier.

Trust me, I've only read a handful of old issues and it is AWESOME. I'm so thrilled that this is being showcased that I just ran over here to post it. I think this will finally spur me on to pick up those Showcases I've been talking about, and get this as well.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I kind of want to pick up the SHazam showcase. What stops me is that I have the issues in my collection. It would just be a matter of digging them out.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I've started reading the CHALLENGERS volume again. I've started the post-Kirby stories, though, honestly, I can't tell a significant difference in his work and that of his successor, Bob Brown.

The series still isn't doing that much for me however. Neither the plots nor the characters seem particularly memorable to me.

Eryk Davis Ester

The CHALLENGERS volume is finished. There's a kind of cool villain introduced near the end, called "Multi-Man", who gains immortality from an ancient formula. The way it works is that the formula gives him super-powers, but every time he dies, he's reincarnated with a new super-power. The Challengers also discover a formula to neutralize his powers, so the basic plot becomes he gets powers, they find some way to douse him with the anti-power formula, he finds a way to kill himself, and then is reborn with new powers. This was kind of interesting.

The vast majority of the plots are variants of one of a few basic formulas: 1) The Challengers are kidnapped/accidentally transported to an alien planet where they have to help the good aliens fight off the bad aliens; 2) Several strange monsters are on the loose, and the Challengers have to capture them and figure out where they came from; 3) Villain X has captured June or someone else, and forces the Challengers to perform three tasks or obtain three objects (usually one is conveniently at the bottom of the ocean, and another on top of a mountain, so Prof and Red can use their skills).

Anyway, I can actually see potential in the series if it were done right, but I can't say that it's one that I'm particularly enthusiastic about.

Eryk Davis Ester

Oh, and I've got PHANTOM STRNGER, JLA 2, and BRAVE AND THE BOLD arriving in the mial next week, along with the SPIRIT ARCHIVES 3!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I am in the midst of reading Brave & Bold. One word - Whirlybat!

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
There's a kind of cool villain introduced near the end, called "Multi-Man", who gains immortality from an ancient formula. The way it works is that the formula gives him super-powers, but every time he dies, he's reincarnated with a new super-power.

This is the guy who eventually ends up in the Giffen/Dematteis Injustice League, right?

The basic concept eventually got reused in the "Resurrection Man" series.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.