Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Aquaman (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Aquaman
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Geez. I hope that spoiler is just a theory of the character speaking it in the book.

Dragging out the fate of the subject in question like this is a bit *too* cruel and exploitive, IMO.

I'm really enjoying SWORD OF ATLANTIS, though. I hope we don't have to wait eons for the spoiler to be resolved. Or to find out what's going on with the original(?) Aquaman.

I thought the undersea bar was fun. And a potential mermaid villainess? Cool.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I wanna hang at an undersea bar! It was fun seeing the Sea Devils. You really get an idea that this is an adventure for young Arthur. Busiek has given us some great little bits, and I am really digging the mood Guice is bringing with his art. I just didn't like that particular bit of revelation we got this issue.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Another great issue that I loved. The art continues to amaze! King Shark's visual alone is just very compelling.

Click Here For A SpoilerVulko! My long favorite Aqua-supporting character at the end was a complete pleasure and caught me by surprise. That was the greatest tragedy of the 'Spectre-destroys-Atlantis' story IMO. As a ghost, it could be fun to see a new status-quo for Vulko, if he could be a recurring character (even someone who helps Arthur occassionally).

As for Garth, I'm not believing anything I hear. I'd be more worried about Dolphin or Ceridan myself, but even that I'm not too terribly worried about. He just is so important to the mythos and has such an easy 'out' in regards to the death. I wouldn't be shocked to see Atlan show up eventually with Garth, since Busiek seems to have such a strong grasp on *all* of Aquaman's history, not just the Silver Age.

Personally, I'm very happy with the pace of this series. I'm in no hurry and am enjoying every step of the way so far. The undersea bar was great, and all scenes with Mera are welcome (one of my first ever comic book character crushes!).

The Sea Devils! Completely awesome to see them, and in a cool way too (at last!). Elsa! The wife of Mark Merlin is always welcome--I wish Mark Merlin himself would somehow show up. Has he ever been killed on screen in a comic before? Sure, he was a typical protaginist in the sci-fi/horror late 50's/early 60's titles, but he was cool. Any idea if Jimmy Lockhart has showed up before?

I'm enjoying how Busiek is establishing various places & characters on Arthur's quest that can be revisited in the future. The gradual growth of a very interesting world, that pays homage to past history but is clearly a progression to somewhere new is absolutely great.

Still one of OYL DC's best titles!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I wanted to mention Windward House, which was just a cool visual. The stated pupose of the place was a tad too close to that given to Themyscira before it disappeared, though precious little was ever done with the Paradise-Island-as-galactic-town-square.

Anyway, the unusual settings have been the highlight of the series, for me.

Cobie, someone on some other board or another mentioned that Jimmy Lockhart was a hero called the RED TORPEDO.

Here's a snippet from the internationalhero site:

History: Retired naval officer Jim Lockhart designed and built a super-sub marine, the Torpedo, capable of not only traversing the oceans but also of flying, and armed with energy beam weapons. Taking on the identity of the Red Torpedo, he became an adventurer, ravelling the seas and battling criminals such as the Black Shark. He also discovered Merrezonia, an underwater civilisation inhabited by merpeople.

Comments: Red Torpedo appeared in Crack Comics #1-20. Like the other Quality heroes, he later became property of D.C. Comics, who killed him in All-Star Squadron #32.

So, he's another Quality hero... but 'Crack' comics? HAHAHA! And Merrezonia? Wonder if *that'll* be showing up in SWORD OF AQUAMAN?

On the site, there's a panel from CRACK COMICS (snicker), showing RED TORNADO's costume... which consists of a red mask and red speedo-style (were there speedo's in the forties?) swimming trunks.

And, of course, he's a redhead.

Guess one of S-Boy Prime's punches restored the guy to life.

Love that he's from DC/Quality's distant past.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
I wanna hang at an undersea bar! It was fun seeing the Sea Devils.

Would you like to see, maybe, something in an Octopus' Garden? Its in the shade.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
He'd let you in, knows where you've been.

The octopus, that is.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
Funny, I coulda swore it was a bar where everyone knew Arthur's name....

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Finally! I thought I had missed an issue, but rather it was delayed.

We got some downtime with New Arthur and Vulko. And Vulko eases some fears on a missing former sidekick. We learn the Fate of New Arthur's father, and see him mingle with the Sea Devils crew.

The long time between issues may have killed some of the momentum, but not the quality.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

AQUAMAN 43: I like the cover. Vulko as a permanent ghost stuck in Windward House? That makes Vulko even more interesting. I like the semi-news he imparts to the new Aquaman. Jessie Silver (the girl flirting with Aquaman)-- any relation to Stan Silver of the new Freedom Fighters? Odd that they'd debut (sort of) in the same month.

The Sea Devils, Red Torpedo, Vulko, King Shark, Windward House, the various undersea locales we've seen, moody, sketchy art... all are things that I like about this title. I am impatient about what's going on with the 'real' Aquaman and his supporting cast (though Vulko and Mera are good starts to satisfying that curiousity... they ain't the main course.)

Rurouni KJS
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rurouni KJS   Email Rurouni KJS         Edit/Delete Post     
Looks like we'll get a 2-part flashback featuring the real Aquaman's clash with King Shark after this initial 6-parter is done.

I'm surprisingly pleased with this new take on Aquaman. Busiek's even taken his infamously bad costume and made it a mark of respect ("the king's colors").

--------------------
-- Still here to help.

From: ATL, fool!!! WHAT!!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
A:SoA #40 makes it entirely clear what happened to Orin, though not the precise details. Look at the last page of the "prophecy" and the last page.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with Mystery Lad just not as interested. Is Kurt digging himself a whole with this mystery (and confusion)?

Sea Devils? King Shark? Ghost Vulco? Cool stuff. I even like the new Aquaman...but it just seems a bit too tied to the old stuff. He's too much like the old Aquaman. And to tell the truth the book isn't interesting enough to keep me coming back.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

This book has been one of my favourites of the OYL titles. It doesn't read like standard super-hero fare. It's an exciting adventure, oddly enough under the sea. It has those ties to the old Aquaman, but that makes it more enjoyable to me. Like an elseworlds sort of vibe.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Once again, I agree with CJ!

In fact, Aquaman is the book I'd reccomend to non-DC fans that haven't been pleased with the company these last few years (I'm looking at you Reboot [Big Grin] ). It has its totally own feel and everything about it is just really, really good.

Definately in my top five best comics on the market right now.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

And it's getting an overhaul. Newsarama just posted word that Busiek is leaving to do some special project, and that Guice has left the book as well. Come February, we'll have a new creative team...

Tad Williams (yeah that writer guy. Guess Marvel's not the only ones now.)

I liked Busiek's run, and Williams is suppose to follow up with the more fantasy adventure Aquaman. I'm even more excited now.

[ November 19, 2006, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: CJ Taylor ]

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.