Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » E2 Alan Scott is the ex-straight "iconic male" DC character to be rebooted gay (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   
Author Topic: E2 Alan Scott is the ex-straight "iconic male" DC character to be rebooted gay
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
If it's not Uncle Sam ... I will throw a Darkseid level tantrum!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
This thread has jumped the shark btw ... the ridiculousness of an Alfred, Thomas Wayne, Jimmy Olsen love triangle ... has just crossed my mind ... and poor jilted Jor-El.

NO ONE IS SAFE FROM MY GAY IMAGININGS !!!

MWUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
It's all right, PB. After the Jesus/Hitler and the Arby's Hat/Hamburger Helper Hand fic, there's nowhere to go but up.

More or less.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
On a related note: Doc Mayavale is obviously bi. This is not in dispute. As the saying goes: Twice as many chances for a betrayal on a Saturday Night.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hm, the Hamburger Helper Hand fic sounds like it could be moving.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, in retrospect, I'd say Uncle Sam is NOT a candidate - I don't believe he was ever shown to have any romantic attachments to women before. He was just not a sexual type at all. If the character was clearly heterosexual before the New 52, it had to be someone who's had a girlfriend or wife.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I was going to point that out, but I was afraid of provoking a Darkseid-level tantrum on Peeb's part.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't rule someone out for lack of romantic attachment alone, but I do agree that Alan Scott is a good possibility. It could be seen as something to appease Obsidian fans.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
and it would fit in with the current political trends to portray a gay man as embodiment of the American spirit.

Which political trends would those be? Seems to me in the last decade it's been far more likely to be accused of doing so than I recall it actually being done.

Frankly, I'm so tired of the uproars that I'd rather it not be Uncle Sam. I guess, in that way, they've won, but I just don't feel like hearing over a fictional character right now, it just let's them divert focus from the really important stuff.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Now as far as the Freedom Fighters, Uncle Sam may be breakout iconic, meaning he's not specific to the comics medium, but within the field they'll all somewhat equally iconic. In the same ballpark at least.

Doll Man... well I never figured out why a straight guy back then would call himself Doll anything. I think his costume set off my gaydar too, was it the bare legs?

Black Condor's costume just seemed like only a macho gay man could pull it off.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The only Quality Comics character who I would really describe as "iconic" (ignoring Uncle Sam, who, as pointed out, is only iconic because he's not specifically a comics character) is Plastic Man, who I suggested earlier.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
I wouldn't rule someone out for lack of romantic attachment alone, but I do agree that Alan Scott is a good possibility. It could be seen as something to appease Obsidian fans.

I was under the impression it was going to happen in Superman, which would rule out E2 characters.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Shining son:

quote:
Which political trends would those be? Seems to me in the last decade it's been far more likely to be accused of doing so than I recall it actually being done.
You haven't noticed a trend toward greater equal rights for gay people and legitimate marriage for gay couples in most political arenas in the western world?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
This thread has jumped the shark

Are you saying it will be our own Sharklad who will be revealed to be gay?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, my dorsal fin is rather iconic...

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.