Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Solicits Thread: Now covering December 2011 (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Solicits Thread: Now covering December 2011
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
I see from Image's solicitations that the trade for Pax Romana is coming out. I never gave it a look before but now that Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. and FF series has confirmed for me that Jonathan Hickman is a GENIUS, I think I might take a look. The solicit sounds pretty groovy!

I didn't realize Hickman was an artist as well (as he's solicited to be for Pax Romana) as a writer. I wonder if he's good?

A lot of popular writers today started off as writer/artists (or just artists). Many of these people never realize ever even drew! Some that come to mind are Bendis, Brubaker and Willingham.

(I refuse to include Matt Wagner on this list as his artistic body of work is reknowned!)

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Looking at IDW's Oct 2010 Solicits, I'm excited beyond words to see the new Darwyn Cooke adapation of the Parker novels on the schedule! That's a must-buy, must-read immediately.

Two things I noticed that made me curious: (A) has anyone tried Locke & Key? It gets rave reviews and (B) I guess their reprinting the Topps Jurassic Park mini from 1993 with art by Gil Kane and George Perez--sounds groovy, and I never realized it existed. Probably not something I'll buy but I wonder if anyone else ever did?

If you're looking for a cool new comc book title, Blacula, try Mystery Society by IDW! It's really great! (And there's a thread on it here at LW).

From the Dark Horse Oct 2010 Solicits, I'm thrilled to see another Hellboy one-shot (as they have been awesome), this time teaming him up with Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson's Beasts of Burden, which I haven't checked out yet but now will.

And of course, I'm thrilled to see Turok return in Turok: Son of Stone, the original title he had back in the 50's.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
quote:
I see from Image's solicitations that the trade for Pax Romana is coming out. I never gave it a look before but now that Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. and FF series has confirmed for me that Jonathan Hickman is a GENIUS, I think I might take a look. The solicit sounds pretty groovy!

I didn't realize Hickman was an artist as well (as he's solicited to be for Pax Romana) as a writer. I wonder if he's good?

A lot of popular writers today started off as writer/artists (or just artists). Many of these people never realize ever even drew! Some that come to mind are Bendis, Brubaker and Willingham.

Geoff Johns started off as an artist too.

I've never seen Hickman's art so I'm curious too! I know he's really talented at designing labels and logos and such; he's been used by other series to design their logos over the years. He's very big in symbols, layouts, structuring the page and such. I read a groovy interview with him a few months back but can't remember where it was (online).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Loved him in SHADOWPACT so I may get the RAGMAN 1-shot.

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:

And the few new titles that do interest me (like Ragman and Time Masters) are $3.99 for 32 pages - and that's a line I refuse to cross.

I hate it too, but I heard (on a thread here) that it won't be long before all DC titles jump to $3.99.

I'm cutting titles like crazy already and thinking hard about what I'm keeping on my pull list.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
JSA 80-Pager, at $5.99, is something I will wait for others to review before I commit.

Think that's bad? FABLES #100 is down for $9.99... [Eek!] [Gasp] Add to that the fact that #99 is ALSO in the solicits... [sigh]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hold the phone.

Are you telling me that a FUNNYBOOK is going to cost TEN DOLLARS... and it's not from, like 1951 or something???

Shut the front door! While holding the phone!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
10 cents a page... don't know if that's 100 pages of story, or if there are some ads thrown in.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
quote:
JSA 80-Pager, at $5.99, is something I will wait for others to review before I commit.

Think that's bad? FABLES #100 is down for $9.99... [Eek!] [Gasp] Add to that the fact that #99 is ALSO in the solicits... [sigh]
No way. I refuse to believe it. I refuse to believe a single issue comic book costs more than...lunch?...a movie?...a night out at Huskies? (that reference for Pov only [Big Grin] ).
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Marvel October solicitations are out.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Steampunk Iron Man is hawt.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Proof positive that Marvel still has a sense of humor:

AVENGERS VS. PET AVENGERS #1 (of 4)
Written by CHRIS ELIOPOULOS
Pencils & Cover by IG GUARA
Basic Truth: It’s very hard to protect the earth when you’ve been turned into a frog. The Pet Avengers Return! Good thing, too, cuz dragons have decided that it’s time to take over the world and oppress the silly humans once and for all!!! And since Captain America, Iron Man & Thor are all green and hopping about, here’s hoping they can get used to their new flippers in time to fight alongside Earth’s Mightiest Pets!

C'mon DC. No Legion vs. Super-Pets miniseries? You could even have Batman guest-star with Ace. The gauntlet has been thrown. [Big Grin]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I also see comics geniuses David Lapham and Kyle Baker have teamed up for a DeadpoolMax miniseries. I love both creators quite a bit and have always been impressed by them--but Deadpool isn't exactly my favorite. Probably an impulse decision in the store, but Lapham and Baker will probably get me to at least buy the first issue.
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Lapham and Baker on anything will at least get me flipping through the book at the store.

I need to dig out Bakers Shadow issues...such fantastic artwork in those.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I am willing to buy the Halloween issues. But that's it.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Marvel: The original Alpha Flight is reunited in a spin-off from CHAOS WAR (which is one event I'm actually looking forward to). Also, a dead Avengers book spinning off from the same event.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.