Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews! (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
New favorite obscure Bat-character:

Policewoman Patricia Powell!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

When was the last time the Joker rode around on a giant chicken? Especially with absolutely *no* explanation of where he got a giant chicken at?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

"What's that, Commissioner? A caveman-- sheathed in ice-- flying over the city? We'll be over there right away!"

I wonder if anyone has taken the time to count up just how many unfrozen cavemen were running around in the Silver Age DCU?

Eryk Davis Ester

So, I've finished the Batman Showcase!

It's pretty good, and not exactly what I expected. I guess I assumed there would be more of the rogue's gallery than there is. He spends almost as much time as the Silver Age Superman chasing down fairly ordinary thugs, however.

I'm also a little surprised at how many things there are that are introduced, and then kind of disappear. Patricia Powell is a good example of that, appearing in two issues as a possible love interest for Bruce Wayne, but apparently disappearing forever just as she's about to get to meet him face to face.

I'm a big fan of the Mystery Analysts Club, who appear from time to time, as well as Roy Reynolds, the Getaway Genius, a recurring villain. And the whole ongoing Outsider plot is pretty groovy as well.

Eryk Davis Ester

I'm currently reading the CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN!

It's not really doing much for me, thus far, but I'm hoping it will get better!

Eryk Davis Ester

Slight Legion Connection: In CHALLENGERS #4, they visit the year 3000, where they are arrested by the "United Earth Police".
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
How is from the art viewpoint? Those old Kirby Challengers covers are some of the most dynamic ones he ever did IMO!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... I would say the art is definitely dynamic. Most of the stories are pretty much one big action scene after another, with plenty of crazy mythical monsters, aliens, and other elements.

However, I would say that, more than any other Showcase I've read, these issues suffer from the lack of color. The problem is that one of the main ways of telling the Challengers apart is their hair color. Even though they look quite a bit different straight on, from a lot of angles it's difficult to figure out which one is which.

Eryk Davis Ester

It just occurred to me just how close these folks really are to a prototype Fantastic Four.

Reed Richards = Prof + Ace
Johnny Storm = Red
Ben Grimm = Rocky
Sue Storm = Unofficial 5th Challenger June Winters

Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... only got about halfway through the Challengers volume.

Currently, I'm reading THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER. While not quite as groovy as HAUNTED TANK, it's pretty cool. I like the basic premise of a horribly scarred soldier becoming a super-spy and master of disguise headquarted in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier quite a bit. I keep thinking there's something missing to the series that really keeps it from becoming great, however. Maybe if they imported more of the Cold War spy theme back into the World War II era or something?

Eryk Davis Ester

THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER gets better as it goes along. While there's something a bit implausible in the basic premise of one guy being able to receive the training he needs to literally pose as anyone at a moment's notice, there are some really good stories in here.

It's definitely a title I'd be interested in seeing revived, however.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I may be picking up some of the more off-beat Showcases this Christmas time per your reccomendations Eryk! Unknown Soldier, Haunted Tank and House of Mystery are tops on my list right now!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yay! I can't wait to hear what you think about them, Cobes!

Unknown Soldier eventually gets into a lot of the moral ambiguities of warfare, as he has several occassions on which he has to decide whether to kill an innocent person to maintain a cover when he's behind the lines. It's pretty heavy stuff, actually.

Now that I've finished it, I'm moving on to the much more lighthearted SHAZAM!

Eryk Davis Ester

This SHAZAM stuff is completely crazy! I don't think I ever realized just how tripped out the whole "Earth-S" universe was!

Case in point: Sunny Sparkle. A kid who is so liked by everyone that they just can't help but give him stuff. So at the end of every month he has a whole yard full of "gifts" from other people that he then donates to charity. And no one seems to think this is unusual.

Not to mention Dr. Thomas Kilowatt, "the Wizard of Phonograph Hill", who has spies from countless foreing countries constantly hanging around his home just waiting to steal whatever new invention he comes up with.

[ December 18, 2006, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

Eryk Davis Ester

Holy Moley! I've almost finished all of the Shazam Showcase!

I just read a story in which lesbians are given powers by Mr. Mind and then defeat Captain Marvel by kissing him!

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.