Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » DC Going Essential - Showcase Presents B&W Collections (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: DC Going Essential - Showcase Presents B&W Collections
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It isn't that they just used "Comics Continuum" they reused another page's (Fangoria Comics for November) title. But, yeah, least of their worries. I don't know why they insist on mistreating their images.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
And the funny thing is that they didn't for years. Then in 2003 or something like that, they started carpet-bombing the images and although it's improved a little, it's still WAY below what any other site would consider acceptable. It's been years since I looked at it regularly, with that sort of thing...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:

Any official reason given Scooter? [Frown]

Got to have something to do with these all containing post-76 material.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Any official reason given Scooter? [Frown]

Got to have something to do with these all containing post-76 material.
What's so special about that?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

After 1976, the way royalties are paid to creators on reprints of their work changes, so that it adds a significant cost to reprints of material from that period. This basically makes cheap reprints (such as Showcases) of material from the late 1970s and 1980s unprofitable, unless they can get the creators to waive their royalties. When the Showcases were originally announced, 1976 was supposed to be a cutoff date for this reason. The recent flurry of announced Showcases containing later material seemed to indicate that DC had found a way around this problem. Apparently, they jumped the gun.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It has to do with how DC's royalty payments work for books between 1976 and 1997. Comics Should Be Good article.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Well *that* licks ballz. [Razz] So even if there was enough AMBUSH BUG material, they still wouldn't put it in a Showcase... :frustrated: !

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
I am so bummed about Captain Carrot ...

[Frown]

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
And I about SECRET SOCIETY of SUPER-VILLAINS.

This really bites. I guess I should thank my lucky stars we got the TPBs that reprinted the entire 70s run of JSoA from ALL-STAR and ADVENTURE (I bought these even though I have the originals, as I would have the SSoSV Showcase, because the originals are getting long in the tooth and ratty).

I guess I can forget that groovy 70s TEEN TITANS tpb, huh? And I guess I better get that HUNTRESS tpb while I can.

I'm really upset about this.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Not to get your hopes up, but this may actually be promising as far as getting some of this stuff in TPB format. If it's unprofitable to put in the cheaper format, it may lead DC to release it in more expensive formats if they can be convinced that there's a market for them.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Oooooh. I actually WOULD prefer it in color, and don't mind the less-expensive paper of the recent JSoA tpb's...

Yay! My hopes are up!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Pov

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of the Marvel Essentials, I rounded out a recent IST purchase with THE DEFENDERS Vol. 1, to qualify for free shipping [Poverty Lad] -- every bit as cool as the SHOWCASEs I've picked up! I love how the formative team-ups leading to the first actual "Defenders" in Marvel Feature 1-3-- DR. STRANGE #183, SUB-MARINER #22 and 34-35, and INCREDIBLE HULK #126-- are included, along with the stories from AVENGERS 115-8 that cross over with issues of THE DEFENDERS proper. And after some of the sub-standard SA stories and art in my SHOWCASEs (which I absolutely wanted, don't get me wrong!), I'm loving the bronze age Marvel writing and art-- especially Sal Buscema. A pleasant first ESSENTIAL. [Cool]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

When you can afford it and are of the mind you should pick up the Moon Knight Essentials Bri. Great stuff. And I love my Tomb of Dracula books. I love the old Marvel stuff. It is just what's been done since the 1990's that I can't seem to stand any more.
Pov

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Ooh, I -loved- the Gene Colan artwork on ToD and Bill Sienkiewicz on those early MOON KNIGHT issues, before he got all "post-modern". That they're written by Wolfman and Moench, respectively, doesn't hurt!

I'll definitely keep those in mind the next time I need help qualifying for the free ship, thanks!

--------------------

kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
Re: the post '76 showcases...

Are these really cancelled?
I read the announcement as they are just delayed, to resolicited at a later date?

I'd really be bummed if these are totally off the table, especially the Captain Carrot and Suicide Squad showcases.

I was really hoping that the showcase line would start to move toward more bronze/modern age material, as the SA and GA showcases are killing the Archive line (which I'm heavily invested in)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.