Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » the ALL-Let's Choose a Comic for EDE to Start Reading thread! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: the ALL-Let's Choose a Comic for EDE to Start Reading thread!
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev Em:
quote:
Originally posted by The Flying Fool:
I liked Zorro, but then again I like anything by Matt Wagner.

But seriously, what is the big deal with the Walking Dead? I've never really liked zombies all that much to begin with, but between this title, it's TV show, and Marvel's near-obsession with them, I'm REALLY starting to hate zombies.

Could write a few pages in response, but let's see...

First and foremost, The Walking Dead and Marvel Zombies are in no way similar books at all. Aside from having the concept of zombies in both...there's not much else.

As far as The Walking Dead goes...if you don't like Zombies...probably not going to like a Zombie book. This book though is about way more than zombies though. There can be several issues in a row that feature no zombies, or feature them as only the barest of background filler. It is more about the people and what living in a world that has gone through, and continues to go through this "apocalypse".

^ I totally get where Flying Fool is coming from though. Zombies have reached the over-saturation point in pop-culture IMO. (Though I am still a big fan of The Walking Dead book and show - minus the sucky last episode of season 1.)

Re: Green Hornet Year One. My comic shop overcharged me so when I went back in to get my money back I decided to just use it as credit to get a TPB instead. I came *this* close to getting this book... but decided to finally embark on the Y: The Last Man journey instead.

I may still go back and get it at some point though because Madame Xanadu has turned me into a big Matt Wagner fan.

Question - is the Wagner, GH-verse self-contained? Or is it related to the Kevin Smith (or other) books I saw on the shelf next to it?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
How have zombies become over-saturated? IMO, there aren't ENOUGH zombie projects in the works. [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Over-saturation should never be used as an excuse to check out a book as good as TWD! This one is oft imitated but never surpassed--truth!

I wonder if EDE's enjoying Chew will cause Mikey Lash to be peer-pressured into trying it? [Hmmm?] Sure seems right up his alley....

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Re: Green Hornet Year One. My comic shop overcharged me so when I went back in to get my money back I decided to just use it as credit to get a TPB instead. I came *this* close to getting this book... but decided to finally embark on the Y: The Last Man journey instead.

I may still go back and get it at some point though because Madame Xanadu has turned me into a big Matt Wagner fan.

Question - is the Wagner, GH-verse self-contained? Or is it related to the Kevin Smith (or other) books I saw on the shelf next to it?[/QB]

The Smith books are set in the present day, but I'm not sure if they're supposed to take place in the same universe as the Wagner GH. Certainly, they aren't needed to appreciate the awesomeness of the Wagner version!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Afraid I'm not currently in the market for new reads at present, Lardy. I still have several comics to read from my last trip to the CBS 2 weeks ago.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
The Walking Dead is to Zombies like American Vampire is to Vampires. They stand apart from the current pop culture glut of both properties.

I'm not a Vampire fan, and am sick to death of the current obsession with them in just about every aspect of our cultuure, but would feel cheated out of a great book if I wasn't reading American Vampire.

I happen to love Zombies, but do not get into most of the comics about them...so far, just The Walking Dead and I, Zombie. Both are intriguing takes on the topic.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I Zombie .... is now available in TPB.

[Yes]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Mike Allred is love.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Mike Allred is love.

[Yes]
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
[QUOTE]

Question - is the Wagner, GH-verse self-contained? Or is it related to the Kevin Smith (or other) books I saw on the shelf next to it?

Y THE LAST MAN!!!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Perhaps Blacula will participate in the future thread in which Power Boy and I talk about how great Y: The Last Man is?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

several of us here will be glad to particpate in that thread. [Yes]
Eryk Davis Ester

Still haven't got around to reading Zorro, but, in EDE-comic buying news, I actually picked up LSH: The Choice. Review probably coming to the Legion forum in a month or two, when I get around to reading it!
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Perhaps Blacula will participate in the future thread in which Power Boy and I talk about how great Y: The Last Man is?

when is THIS happening!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

also, i started on Godland, which is amusing, kirby like art, lots of pop culture jokes, not sure how i feel about it. I've done three TPB's and probably in for two more.

it's a bit like Invincible but better.

the art and the jokes are definitely the draw, it could be taken to the next level if the overall plot was somehow more appealing.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
You should totally start a Godland thread, PB! I've been interested in that series forever but haven't checked it out.

Eryk, looking forward to your reviews on Zorro and the Legion! And Chew!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.