Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Solicits Thread: Now covering December 2011 (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Solicits Thread: Now covering December 2011
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Moonstone Publications also released their solicitations for September and October. Normally I don't collect any Moonstone stuff after trying it a year or so ago, but their bringing back so many Pulp heroes really caught my interest when it started being noticed by the comics press in recent weeks. When they get to the 1950's Rocketman, one of my father's favorite serials EVER, that is a must-buy for us regardless of creators, publishers and price. But I think some of what they're dong we'll also pick up, such as the Black Bat (whose history with Batman via Whitney Ellsworth I've always found fascinating), the Phantom Detective and maybe even the graphic novel introducing them all together "Battle for LA".

I'm also very curious to see Dynamite's solicitations for September to see if Mandrake or Flash Gordon have gotten any release dates in mind following the Phantom.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Finishing up looking at the Marvel solicits:

Captain America: Patriot looks really great and delves into a part of Captain America continuity that has always fascinated me which we've hardly ever seen much of, namely the Patriot (both before and during his time as Captain America III). I can't wait for that!

Iron Man: Legacy #6 kicks off a new story taking place during the era Tony lost his company to Obadiah Stane and therefore has him in LA up against the Pride, the parents of the Runaways. What a cool previously untold tale idea! Runaways fans should take note. This is the Iron Man comic done by Fred Van Lente, one of the top talents in the comics industry right now, so I have a feeling it'll be great.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Dynamite's solits--Man they sure have a LOT invested in Green Hornet, huh? Wonder how successful that's been for them?

Seeing a Kato TPB solicited makes me wonder if they've already solicited TPBs for the other series, specifically, Smith's and Wagner's? I might be checking out those at some point in TP form.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I noticed the Green Hornet love fest as well. Hope it works out for them.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I do too but like Miner and I have speculated, I think it was a big mistake to flood the market like that.

That's why I take it as my duty to help guide my fellow LWers in Green Hornet comics to pick out of the bunch--buy Green Hornet: Year One! [Smile]

BTW, the Green Hornet movie looks terrible, just like the Jonah Hex movie did. [Frown]

For Dynamite I'm very interested in when they get around to Flash Gordon & Mandrake the Magician.

No Zorro this month either--I guess it's canceled for good? That's really a shame. (They could at least make an announcement, jeez).

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
It figures after I drop most of the DC books, THIS happens:

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/07/08/the-cover-to-action-comics-894-will-surprise-you/#comments

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA: 80-PAGE GIANT 2010 #1: Featuring solo tales starring Cyclone, Doctor Fate, Jesse Quick, Mr. Terrific, Obsidian, Sand and Tomcat... but with a whopping price tag of $5.99.

Still, though Sand and Obsidian in their own tales? Don't think I can pass this one up.

There's also #1's for KNIGHT AND SQUIRE and RAGMAN that look interesting. Oh, and lots of batcentricity.

What stood out for you?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm hoping that Andreyko is writing the Obsidian story.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll say it again... DEATH!

..and still, no emotional response from Titans OR Teen Titans.

TEEN TITANS #88
Written by J.T. KRUL
Art and cover by NICOLA SCOTT & DOUG HAZLEWOOD
1:10 Variant cover by ADAM HUGHES
It’s here! A new day dawns for the Teen Titans, brought to you by the dynamic duo of J.T. Krul (GREEN ARROW, BLACKEST NIGHT: TITANS) and Nicola Scott (WONDER WOMAN, SECRET SIX)! Packed with action, steeped in emotion and featuring your favorite heroes, TEEN TITANS is ready to explode off the racks!
Starting right here, the team finds itself pushed in new directions and brought to new heights while also rediscovering its roots. With the rise of a mysterious new threat called the Feral Boys, Superboy, Wonder Girl, Kid Flash, Raven, Beast Boy and the newly returned Ravager will have the chance to rebuild their camaraderie in the face of all that might endanger it. But if they discover the truth behind the Feral Boys, will they be able to stand together to face it? Find out here as the new era of the Teen Titans begins in this perfect jumping-on-point issue!

I am so tired of both Raven, Beast Boy, and people repeatedly attempting to try and cash in on the line-up Wolfman and Perez started. Could that actually try something different?

[ July 19, 2010, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Sarcasm Kid ]

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I am so tired of both Raven, Beast Boy, and people repeatedly attempting to try and cash in on the line-up Wolfman and Perez started. Could that actually try something different?

They keep trying to pour the same ingredients into the old dish, to recapture the magic that made it so successful in the past, and failing miserably, because all they are doing is putting the appearance of something fondly remembered over stories that lack the heart of the stories that made us love those characters in the first place.

They are pissing away what goodwill the older fanbased has towards the Perez/Wolfman lineup with each cheap attempt to recapture that success, IMO.

Squandered potential.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

A few things stick out among DC’s solicits:

When there are that many Batman one-shots, I’d rather just skip them all and get my usual monthlies.

The Spirit back-up is by Richard Corben—cool!

Supergirl annual features the Legion & Satan Girl—groovy!

JSA 80-Pager, at $5.99, is something I will wait for others to review before I commit. There is some good potential but also some bad potential.

Ragman gets a one-shot but I wonder why? Is this just a story they had lying around?

Vertigo’s Luna Park GN looks pretty cool and with rave reviews. I’m already very curious about Revolver which I believe is coming out this month.

The Unknown Soldier is coming to an end which is too bad, but it seems like it’s going out on its own terms. A series that powerful would be difficult to come out every month anyway.

I don't even bother reading the Titans solicits anymore.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Oh, did I forget to mention they're practically BEGGING people to buy Titans #28, telling BD fans to tune in for the Osiris element.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
8 titles in October - this could be the smallest amount of new comics I've bought in a month since... forever?

DC is just doing so little to interest me anymore. All the JLA, JSA and Titans comics barely even rate a glance in the solicits now and I've never been one to buy any of the multitude of Superman and Batman titles other than the core one or two.

And the few new titles that do interest me (like Ragman and Time Masters) are $3.99 for 32 pages - and that's a line I refuse to cross.

It's just as well though since I just spent $200 on a veritable treasure trove of about 100 old back issues and it will probably take me a few months just to get through all of them! [Smile]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I see from Image's solicitations that the trade for Pax Romana is coming out. I never gave it a look before but now that Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. and FF series has confirmed for me that Jonathan Hickman is a GENIUS, I think I might take a look. The solicit sounds pretty groovy!

Not much 'new' coming from Image in Oct but I'm already planning to pick up a bunch of their stuff in the next few months. Bulletproof Coffin and Turf have already been good enough to get me committed and I'm curious about Nick Specner's Morning Glories, as well as giving another issue of Jack Staff a try.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - Blacula, I'm the same now: I don't even read solicits for Titans, JLA or JSA related comics anymore. I'm that fed up with the crap I've been getting from them.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.