Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Secret Six (the ongoing)... spoilers (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Secret Six (the ongoing)... spoilers
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
That's my Quis, a true partner in immorality
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
Rick Flagg was "never" killed - was exiled to another place under arrest..until Bronze Tiger found him and freed him with the aid of Checkmate! ( I think, but cannot remember)...or something else...in the Suicide Squad mini-series....oh gosh I may be misremembering the title book. egad! help! that's the book where Windfall, Carapax, White Dragon, Tokamak, Twister, and others got killed or maimed. Chemo too. revealed that Amanda Waller has a "secret" power - acquired nanobot inside her body, thanks to Chemo (?)...
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
superboymddjr,

I thought that might be the case and I just didn't know the resurrection story. I say "resurrection" because if I remember correctly, the character was presumed dead.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Bought, but haven't yet read Suicide squad #67--but I did just read last month's Secret Six #16 yesterday.

I haven't read Black Alice's previous appearances in (presumably) Simone's Birds of Prey. And so far I'm not impressed. It just seems that Alice's power set just doesn't fit in with the feel of this Secret Six. They're primarily physical characters and now we're incorporating someone who absorbs magic powers? WTF?

Yeah, I know Jeannette's a banshee, and this was highlighted by Alice's using Jeannette's powers. But we all know that Jeannette's manifestations are few and far between (only one display so far) and are indeed undesirable for her to use. So what we normally get is the physical side of Jeannette that works well with the chemistry. Now, we have someone that can look like Blue Devil and presumably a lot of other characters and use their powers. I'm concerned this will upset the chemistry that Gail has done such a great job on this title of executing.

But maybe I'm overreacting. Certainly, she appears to have the requisite mental hangups it takes to belong to this team, so it might work out. Of course, the Six are now seven, so you have to be concerned that Gail is setting up Alice to replace one of the others. Frankly, I don't wanna see that happen! I really like what every member of the Six brings to the team, even though it seems foregone that we'll lose some of them to death or leaving at some point given their volatile nature.

All in all, I'm pleased very much by Secret Six to this point. It's been a pleasant surprise with its terrific writing and art. I took a chance on number one completely blind and have found it to be one of DC's (and all of comics) best reads as it's progressed.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also have not read the Suicide Squad issue yet but recently read #16. The series continues to be an awesome, strait-up excellent read. You'd think the darkness in the title could be overwhelming, yet it never seems to feel that way.

As for Black Alice, I've read all her previous appearances and its obvious Gail really likes the character (she created her, I think). She's okay but not a character I like all that much. I wonder if there's some kind of buzz about the character on some message board somewhere or something because that seems like what Gail is trying to do.

I've read all of the Secret Six appearances since the first Villains United mini so to me the team is really Catman, Deadshot, Scandal and Ragdoll with other members rotating in and out. So unlike Lardy, I'm fully prepared for one of the six to be gone shortly and someone else to come in. I suspect it will be Bane. I actually kind of like what Gail has done with Bane and his interactions with Scandal and the rest have been great. But he's a pretty good Batman villain and eventually he'll be back there trying to break Batman's back (anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves) so I presume he'll be exiting. I don't mind, as I like the last two slots of the 6 as rotating. Plus, I've come to really like Jeanette and don't want it to be her.

My absolute favorite part of the Secret Six as written by Gail is the 'sibling' type relationship between Catman, Deadshot, Scandal and Ragdoll (the latter being the really weird younger brother type). They are constantly betraying one another, setting each up, kicking the crap out of each other, etc., and yet you know in their twisted minds they all love one another and would die for one another. Its a great dynamic that keeps me coming back for more.

Looking forward to the Suicide Squad stuff.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Secret Six is one of my faves! The SUICIDE SQUAD 67 sets up what looks to be a very fun issue of S6 next week!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Suicide Squad #67

Been looking forward to this issue as I loved the SS back in the day.

Not much in the way of a BN crossover issue...and that's okay with me, but...

I recognize most of the Squad. I could have used a quick recap of who people were (ala Geoff in the Legion books.) Flag was dead the last I knew. Nightshade was with another team, although their book is now gone. Some new kid named Yasemin, no idea...and the only pne they really provide any background for. Good to see Vertigo and Bronze Tiger in action here. New Female Fiddler that I have no idea about.

Waller is Waller here. Good to see some things haven't changed. Not sure what the hell is going on on page 7 though.

Now I read the Villians United mini, but none of the Secret Six book...so I am vaguely familiar with the set up of the group...Catman, Ragdoll, Deadshot (really nice to see he has not changed much over the years), and Bane are familiar...but I had no idea who Jeannette or Black Alice are. Still really do not have any clue who they are, or how their powers work. Black Alice seems to be able to mimick powers...?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the issue, but as someone who picked it up out of "for old times sake" reasons I'm kinda annoyed that it is a TBC issue. This is a one shot, expected more of a contained story. Not really all that new reader friendly.

That being said, I will pick up the follow up to this next week. Want to see Bronze Tiger vs. Catman. Waller chewing up the scenery, and Deadshot having something happening to him.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
No one has any idea about the new Fiddler, but her name is "Virtuoso".

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks. More info than is in the book.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
That's ALL the info.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Virtuoso! I was calling her Maestro.

Writers of today really need to remember that every comic is someone's first (or first in years) exposure to someone.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Gail introduced her; seeing as she's the one that offed Fiddler, it seemed appropriate. It was at the end of the Villains United mini.

I do think we need more new reader friendly issues. But I'm guessing Virtuoso won't be coming out of this with any degree of prominence.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Even a "scorecard" on the first page would have been tremendously helpful. Names and a quick summation of powers...even a Roll Call like the Legion used to have.

I guess I would have at least liked to know who everyone was.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Virtuoso debuted in one of the Secret Six minis before the ongoing, didn't she? Or maybe in SECRET SOCIETY?

The Fiddler was easy to mock, but he certainly did end up being behind one of the biggest villainous feats with lasting consequences, didn't he?

I would've loved more of Nightshade, Count Vertigo, etc. Especially tidbits about why Eve's back with this team.

I'd buy a Jeannette mini-series, though they'll have to come up a name for her. I think it'd be cool if Tyroc ended up being linked to DC banshees...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
One thing I did like about the Blackest Night issue was seeing that Count Vertigo is still alive - and obviously not a victim of the same crappy off-panel death that Negative Woman received in the-more-time-goes-by-the-more-pointless-and-worthless-it-seems Final Crisis.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.