Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Freedom Fighters (spoilers) (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Freedom Fighters (spoilers)
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What'd y'all think of the changes for Red Bee? I was borderline-bored with her character before (I think she just looked too much like Freefall), but now I'm interested. The powers as they were described were potentially a lot of fun to read about, IMO. We'll see.

It's odd that a new Insect Queen is debuting in one of the Superman titles so soon after Red Bee's power-up. There isn't a chance it's actually the Freedom Fighter migrating to Metropolis for a spell, is there?

I'm not wild about the division of the team. The optimist in me hopes that there's a plan behind the split. The pessimist in me's left crossing his fingers that too much damage isn't done.

I enjoy Palmiotti and Gray's take on the team, but I wonder if removing the government from the primary picture might be a good thing?

On the other hand, USATFF is a DCU counterpart to all the ongoing Civil/Silent/Secre/Hulk war stuff going on over at Marvel. Sometimes a direct commentary? Hmm?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the first issue. Despite the very different art style being used, it still feels like the same team. The Red Bee transformation is ok so far, but I can't help but scoff at the notion that just because she calls herself the Red Bee she suddenly gets captured by alien bugs and is transformed into a *literal* red insect person?? I dunno ... reminds me of the people here who get miffed about Timberwolf being turned into a wolfman just because of the name he chose. Same thing.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the first issue. I'll be honest and say that if Acuna was still doing the art, I don't know if I would be buying it. His style on the min just wasn't to my taste. The new artist is better.

I'll be interested in seeing where they go with this. The first issue led me to believe that they are going to start tracking down legacy characters. Besides Happy, are any of the originals still alive?

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't see what happens with Stormy in #2 coming... though in retrospect I should've.

I dunno- I thought she was brighter than what we see here. Guess substance-abuse takes its toll.

I wonder if we hadn't had the gossip about Paris, Lindsey, etc. and their escapades all summer if this still would've been Phantom Lady's character-arc?

For me, it doesn't quite jibe with the first mini. Though I can see the through-line.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't care for #2 at all.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The Phantom Lady subplot not only annoys me but turns me off in general about the whole thing. I've been so over this celebrity obssession in our culture for years now and avoid it so often on the television that I'm annoyed to it in the comics.

I'd rather watch Ray and Black Condor fight robots and aliens [Smile]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Gotta agree with the above. This twist with PL turned me off so much that I'm not certain how much more of this mini I'll buy. Not only that but we just got the FF together and in two issues, they've torn apart the team. What are they thinking? [Mad]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree Vee. The last mini was great and in two issues they really lost my interest.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Well, if they're going to be focusing more or less on one of the characters each issue, there's lots to look forward too with The Ray, Doll Man, Black Condor, Firebrand and Miss America to come...

I agree that splitting up the team seems to be a mistake. But P&G have earned some faith, at least for me, since their run on Hawkman (bring the book back and give it to them!) and the first mini.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Doll Man's turn... I liked this issue quite a bit. The Level 9 revelation was momentous and full of potential for the future. Will that potential ever work its way into the DCU proper?

Click Here For A Spoiler Darryl Dane's return was both surprising and expected, a tough combo to get across. It's somewhat disconcerting to see him as an apparent opponent, but I'm sure after the requisite fight scene, matters'll work out. There's an obvious 'things aren't what they seem' vibe.

I hope the v.p. is the last of the villain-in-the-white-house characters for awhile. FREEDOM FIGHTERS is the place for 'em, along with CHECKMATE, I suppose. But there's got to be other forces for the team to oppose.

Reading Doll Man's origin makes me wish USAFF could've been coordinated with the Waid LSH introduction of IMSK and Shrinking Vio... Atom Girl. There *could've* been a natural, organic connection.

Did the 'new' Freedom Fighters make an impression on anyone? I kind of liked Captain Triumph's 'line', but I wonder if she'll be sincere or another fakeRay? The rest of them didn't register, frankly.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

#4's out and is more enjoyable, as the team starts to come together again. Except for The Red Bee, that is. She's flipped out. Or is the victim of some sort of mind control or something.

Will she snap back and rejoin? Or will Jenna become a full-fledged opponent? We don't find out this issue.

It's so weird that the Red Bee stuff is playing out at the same time as the return of Insect Queen in SUPERMAN (which I really need to pick up- somehow, I forgot last time I went to the CBS.)

I'm afraid Stormy's little episode may have soured me on the character. I wanted her to stay in the other dimension and heal some more.

Uncle Sam's origin surprised me. He knows he's from another earth... which makes me wonder if the 'main' DC earth has it's own 'spirit' of the U.S. Father Time?

His mention of a couple of 'aces up his sleeve' has me curious. I think Gray or Palmiotti have mentioned that a new or updated Neon the Unknown will appear-- so I'm betting he or she is one of those aces. The other(s)? I can't wait for their unveiling.

Unfortunately, the writers themselves don't think the Freedom Fighters have much hope of receiving an ongoing. That's too bad.

I think this mini got a bit lost amid the crowd of COUNTDOWN related minis. The somewhat less compelling story didn't help, though there's plenty that's entertaining, IMO.

Maybe they'll at least get another mini, once the countdown has been completed?

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I noticed sales for this mini were completely in the toilet, a shame.

It's been okay for me, but I don't feel as "into" it as I did with the first mini.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Me either, Lash. I think splitting the team up was a mistake, storywise. They haven't been together long enough for a split to matter to the reader. And there's so much to examine as they relate to each other and in that other-dimensional HQ (cool concept).

That said, P&G are working their resuscitate GA characters magic with The Crusaders and the promised aces up Uncle Sam's sleeve.

Still, I'm enjoying this a heck of a lot more than some other team books (Teen Titans and Infinity, Inc.-- though each of those titles have *some* things I like...)

Mystery Lad
Advisor

OK, I kind of liked the focus on Human Bomb and his tragic love affairs, short thought that focus might have been.

It was also fun to see the original Ray again and read him call Uncle Sam 'old son'.

And Neon the Unknown gets a pretty fun debut...

...but if what happened to Miss America stands I'm gonna be so pissed.

I pretty much expect her to save the day in some cliffhanger situation between now and the end of the mini- but there's just enough fear that the 'some deaths aren't noble' sentiment will prevail for me to think of this title as one I want to read, but don't want to read at the same time.

Can Red Bee come back from this imbroglio as a viable character? I'm not so sure.

Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

...but if what happened to Miss America stands I'm gonna be so pissed.

You're not the only one! Joan is one of DC's most underused, underrated characters. It's especially stinging when Lyta and Hector Hall (who I guess are still her daughter and son-in-law) had similarly pointless deaths. Still, Joan is a survivor. It's not the first time she's been portrayed as dead.

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.