Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Ultimate Spider-Man(Ultimate Spider-Man Miles Morales) (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Ultimate Spider-Man(Ultimate Spider-Man Miles Morales)
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Ultimate Spider-Man has gone back to it’s original numbering with #150, making the relaunch kind of pointless, but at least Marvel is honest about it—every interview I ever read with Joe Q had him pretty forthcoming about using any numbering event possible to draw in new sales. #151 kicks off the new direction (which I guess will then go in a new new direction for the ‘Death of Spider-Man’).

What I liked about #151 was the limited focus on Spider-Man and the maximal focus on the supporting cast and Peter Parker, which Bendis does so very well in this series. I’m loving the current set-up with the Torch and Iceman living with Aunt May & going to school with Pete and it just gets more and more fun as more cast members are introduced. I was very glad to see Gwen return to the house too, as she is essential to this series, which needs more females (and I wish Kitty would show back up!). I’m just loving the teenage drama that runs rampant through this title. Bendis very clearly throws away reason when the characters make quick decisions, which is what he should do when writing teens.

I still love this title and I’m actually curious what the oncoming Death of Spider-Man will mean. Is it a real death of Peter, with his clone (Spider-Woman) taking over? That sounds terrible on paper, but maybe the actual delivery of it will be good. For the Ultimate Universe, I’d certainly be willing to give it a try.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I read Ultimate Spider-man #160 a couple of days ago. I don't think it's too spoilerish to reveal that this final issue featured the death of the Ultimate version of Spider-man. If you intend to read it and don't want the details spoiled, please don't read any further.

I've always enjoyed this Bendis-written book and its refreshing take on a Peter Parker who is a high school student for the entirety of the book's run (as opposed to original Peter being in college by around issue 30 approximately in Amazing). I bought Ultimate Spidey well into the 40s before deciding to switch over to picking it up with trades thereafter. Bendis's style of arc-writing just makes for less satisfying monthlies. Despite all this, I thing USM is the best thing Bendis has ever done.

So I've been behind on USM since the first arc of the post-Ultimatum relaunch. I bought 160 for obvious reasons instead of catching up on trades.
I read some good reviews, so I felt it was a good choice, especially as I've loved the run so much.

Having read the issue, though, I was a little disappointed. If there's anything in Bendis's reimagining and reshaping of the Spidey mythos that I've never been crazy about, it's what he's done with the Green Goblin. Osborn is basically an evil, mutated Behemoth who reminds me more of the Abomination than any other character. I like Osborn with a mania and menace to him balanced out by a cunning which makes him Peter's opposite number.

Issue 160 is basically one big fight scene between Peter and the Goblin with a few in-battle interludes with Aunt May, Gwen, MJ and Johnny Storm. The biggest nuance we get with the Goblin is him frequently screaming, "PARKERRR!!!"

And then it just ends abruptly. Peter manages to take out the Goblin by slamming him with a truck, but Peter succumbs to his injuries from the fight and his proximity to the truck exploding (plus, a bullet wound suffered in previous issues that he took from the Punisher, meant for Captain America). He says something sweet to May about having succeeded in saving her when he hadn't been able to save Uncle Ben before. Then, he dies.

I dunno. It was touching in some moments, but just seemed a little underwhelming. For one thing, we've seen Peter Parker survive so much thoughout the decades that it's hard to accept that what we were shown killed him. It just seems he's survived worse. Maybe reading all the parts of the story would change my mind with its entire context, but I'm not so sure. Bendis does squeeze in nice moments like a fight interlude kiss with MJ, though. But the issue taken alone doesn't really feel like a great final chapter to this version of Ultimate Spidey. It's a tragic end (assuming no resurrection, of course), but it just felt kind of empty.

USM is a book that's not been without its dark moments, but it's one I always think of as being overall fun and lighthearted. I guess it feels wrong that Ultimate Spidey's story should end like this and with a disappointing antagonist as the Ultimate Goblin has been. Oh, well.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So all this has paved the way for a new Ultimate Spidey, who's identity has been revealed thru various media today. I applaud Marvel's decision to give a character representing racial diversity such a prominent flagship role, but:

What will they do if and when the sales drop? Bring back Peter? Cancel the Ultimate line? Will the hispanic-African Spidey be just the footnote that hispanic Spidey 2099 ultimately became? If so, what will all this have accomplished in the end?

I guess we'll just have to wait and se.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
What will they do if and when the sales drop? Bring back Peter? Cancel the Ultimate line?

Yup.

They're doing this because, thanks to Jeph Loeb's Ultimatum, the UltU is on the brink. If a relaunch fails again, this time it's done.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
My feelings echo your own Lardy on just about every point regarding #160. Having read the previous issues as they came out, I can add they really didnt enhance the finish. The story felt both drawn out and then rushed.

I'll say that I had decided to cancel USM once and for all. I've enjoyed it throughout but my interest and enthusiasm has increasingly waned over time. Post-Loeb I thought USM did a nice rebound but this latest story felt like another stunt too soon. However, with the latest announcement / spoiler of the multiracial Spidey, I'm a little curious--it may be just the thing to keep me interested. If it happened to "real Spidey" I'd be pissed, but I've always seen the UU as not the "true" MU where things can go way off the radar; I'm shallow like that as a reader.

But I'm pretty skeptical this will succeed. I wonder if I'll be in the minority where this change may be the only thing keeping me around? Regardless, it's obviously a Hail Mary ploy for the Ultimate U I think. (As is bringing on my two favorites Hickman and Spencer for the other titles).

Ps - Ultimate Goblin was the worst part of the whole USM run. [Yes]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Ps - Ultimate Goblin was the worst part of the whole USM run. [Yes]

Agreed. There were times when he worked, but only because other elements were in play. Namely, these were the Ultimate Six and "Death of a Goblin" arcs. The one worked because of the circumstance of a Ultimate Sinister Six and how it was different in that universe's context and how it clashed with the Ultimates. The latter worked because of Harry and the whole tragedy of the situation.

But the Goblin as an interesting character and opposite of Peter Parker? FAIL!

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Thing is, this actually got my attention and may get me to at least give the first arc a try. Just to see what it's like.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Do you mean the first arc ever of Ultimate Spidey, Dev? If so, I highly recommend doing so! Despite any reservations I've expressed here about the ending, I would whole-heartedly recommend USM as a whole to anyone who likes good Spidey stories! There are some lulls here and there, but it was a highly enjoyable book, for sure.

I'd say it was especially good during Bagley's long, uninterrupted run (well over a hundred issues) as artist, and Stuart Immonen also did a great job after Bagley left. After Ultimatum, unfortunately, the art was a bit of a revolving door. Bagley returning for the death was much appreciated, though.

Definitely give that first trade a try, and see what ya think, Dev! [Yes]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, I've read a lot of the Ult. Spider-Man run, through the collection that I sold for quite a haul (including 400+ for the white alt cover of #1), and through the library.

I was talking about the new Spidey they are starting.It interests me to see what he does with it.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Oh, okay. The new book's a hard "pass" for me as far as individual issues, but I'm open to picking up the trade down the line if I hear it's good. (I still intend to complete the Ultimate Spidey/Peter Parker trades as well)

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember looking through some of the trades of Ultimate Spider Man in Barnes and Noble years ago. The only one I definitely remember is looking through the one where Gwen Stacey is killed by Ultimate Carnage.

Heh. Ultimate Carnage. Word play.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Lardy, I plan to eventually get all the trades as well...sooner or later I'll have money to spend.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
I remember looking through some of the trades of Ultimate Spider Man in Barnes and Noble years ago. The only one I definitely remember is looking through the one where Gwen Stacey is killed by Ultimate Carnage.

Heh. Ultimate Carnage. Word play.

Re: Ultimate Gwen....

Click Here For A SpoilerShe got better! [Yes]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Lardy, I plan to eventually get all the trades as well...sooner or later I'll have money to spend.

They're kinda low on my trade priorities right now, but I'll get them, my pretties! [Wink]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Following the death of Ultimate Peter Parker, Marvel released the 6-part Ultimate Fallout which deals with various characters grieving over it. Or at least that's the implied premise--the real point of it is to gear up for the re-relaunch of the UU to come with the introduction of the new U-Spidey, new U-Xmen and new Ultimates. Each issue had 2-3 stories each.

The new writers in the UU are 2 of my favorites, Jonathan Hickman and Nick Spencer (who in my mind are the best of the best these days) so its been exciting to read their set-up. Meanwhile Brian Bendis gives all of Ultimate Peter's cast a send off while briefly introducing Miles Morales. All of this has been really interesting and good so far.

However, one caveat is: did Marvel really need to drag this out for 6 issues in 3 months for $3.99 an issue? No, of course not. This is sneaky comics marketing at it's worst. It should have been a double-sized one shot or something.

So good content, poor delivery. I'm glad it's done but admit it's peaked my curiosity for all 4 new Ultimate titles.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.